APOD: SuperCam Target on Ma'az (2021 Mar 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: SuperCam Target on Ma'az (2021 Mar 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:05 am

Image SuperCam Target on Ma'az

Explanation: What's the sound of one laser zapping? There's no need to consult a Zen master to find out, just listen to the first acoustic recording of laser shots on Mars. On Perseverance mission sol 12 (March 2) the SuperCam instrument atop the rover's mast zapped a rock dubbed Ma'az 30 times from a range of about 3.1 meters. Its microphone recorded the soft staccato popping sounds of the rapid series of SuperCam laser zaps. Shockwaves created in the thin martian atmosphere as bits of rock are vaporized by the laser shots make the popping sounds, sounds that offer clues to the physical structure of the target. This SuperCam close-up of the Ma'az target region is 6 centimeters (2.3 inches) across. Ma'az means Mars in the Navajo language.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: SuperCam Target on Ma'az (2021 Mar 13)

Post by WWW » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:14 am

Not a very impressive laser sound, might just be due to the distance to the strike point and/or the thin atmosphere.

Of course when a Mars laser was first used here on Earth I think it sounded more like this:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSactZxGGrw

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:20 am

If you slow it down you can hear it’s actually the rock saying “ow,ow,stop it,ow,ow,cut it out,ow,ow,this hurts!”
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:50 am

As said above, that is so minimal! I suppose the Martian atmosphere, or lack of it, doesn't help - it's much more impressive on Earth!
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=223591948680821&_rdr

And (pace, recent discussion of terrestrial telescope lasers) it only uses 18 Watts!
John

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:27 pm

OIP.jpg
OIP.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navajo_language wrote: <<The word Navajo is an exonym: it comes from the Tewa word Navahu, which combines the roots nava ('field') and hu ('valley') to mean 'large field'. It was borrowed into Spanish to refer to an area of present-day northwestern New Mexico, and later into English for the Navajo tribe and their language. The Navajo refer to themselves as the Diné ('People'), with their language known as Diné bizaad ('People's language') or Naabeehó bizaad.

Navajo is a Southern Athabaskan language of the Na-Dené family, through which it is related to languages spoken across the western areas of North America. Navajo is spoken primarily in the Southwestern United States, especially on the Navajo Nation. It is one of the most widely spoken Native American languages and is the most widely spoken north of the Mexico–United States border, with almost 170,000 Americans speaking Navajo at home as of 2011. The language has struggled to keep a healthy speaker base, although this problem has been alleviated to some extent by extensive education programs in the Navajo Nation.

The language has a fairly large phoneme inventory; it includes several uncommon consonants that are not found in English. Its four basic vowels are distinguished for nasality, length, and tone. It has both agglutinative and fusional elements: it relies on affixes to modify verbs, and nouns are typically created from multiple morphemes, but in both cases these morphemes are fused irregularly and beyond easy recognition. Basic word order is subject–object–verb, though it is highly flexible to pragmatic factors. Verbs are conjugated for aspect and mood, and given affixes for the person and number of both subjects and objects, as well as a host of other variables.

In 1943 the men collaborated on The Navajo Language, a dictionary organized by the roots of the language. In World War II, the United States military used speakers of Navajo as code talkers – to transmit top-secret military messages over telephone and radio in a code based on Navajo. The language was considered ideal because of its grammar, which differs strongly from that of German and Japanese, and because no published Navajo dictionaries existed at the time.>>
Art Neuendorffer

SeedsofEarfth

Post by SeedsofEarfth » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Sounds a lot like an ophthalmologist's YAG posterior capsulotomy laser, the laser treatment used to remove scar tissue from around a cataract lens implant. Click-click-click-click!

SuperNebula7000

Post by SuperNebula7000 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:36 pm

Is that a snail shell in the middle of the picture? I knew there was life on Mars? :D

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:55 pm

Eye surgery with a laser? Pshaw!

Urologists use 120W lasers to breaks up stones!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:04 pm

It's amazing but if I am not mistaken that sounds just like my old wind up Tim ex watch circa 1970s when I forgot to take it off and slept with it beside my ear. It's the watch that takes a licking but keeps on ticking. You could say there is no new sound discovered in the world, just replayed sound from the past.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:18 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
De58te wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:04 pm
It's amazing but if I am not mistaken that sounds just like my old wind up Tim ex watch circa 1970s when I forgot to take it off and slept with it beside my ear. It's the watch that takes a licking but keeps on ticking. You could say there is no new sound discovered in the world, just replayed sound from the past.
Art Neuendorffer

LMMdT

Post by LMMdT » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:44 am

Kraftwerk would produce something special out of this, for sure!