APOD: Central Lagoon in Infrared (2021 Mar 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Central Lagoon in Infrared (2021 Mar 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:05 am

Image Central Lagoon in Infrared

Explanation: Stars fill this infrared view, spanning 4 light-years across the center of the Lagoon Nebula. Visible light images show the glowing gas and obscuring dust clouds that dominate the scene. But this infrared image, constructed from Hubble Space Telescope data, peers closer to the heart of the active star-forming region revealing newborn stars scattered within, against a crowded field of background stars toward the center of our Milky Way galaxy. This tumultuous stellar nursery's central regions are sculpted and energized by the massive, young Herschel 36, seen as the bright star near center in the field of view. Herschel 36 is actually a multiple system of massive stars. At over 30 times the mass of the Sun and less than 1 million years old, the most massive star in the system should live to a stellar old age of 5 million years. Compare that to the almost 5 billion year old Sun which will evolve into a red giant in only another 5 billion years or so. The Lagoon Nebula, also known as M8, lies about 4,000 light-years away within the boundaries of the constellation Sagittarius.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Central Lagoon in Infrared (2021 Mar 19)

Post by Ann » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:58 am

M8_HLA_F125wF160w_Nachman1024[1].jpg
The Lagoon Nebula in infrared light.
Photo: NASA, ESA, Hubble; Data Archive: MAST, Processing: Alexandra Nachman.

I'm not the world's greatest fan of infrared images of deep-space object, although I certainly realize that sometimes infrared (or at least non-visual) imagery is our only option if we want to gather some useful information. For example, how would we ever know anything about the center of the Milky Way if we insisted on trying to observe it in visible light only?

But does today's APOD really teach us a lot about the Lagoon Nebula that we didn't know before?

Okay... maybe that the inner part of the central Lagoon "Hourglass nebula" really is chock full of infrared light?

Ann
Color Commentator

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:11 am

Can’t wait to see what the Webb will do!

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

STSCI-H-p1821a-d-1280x720.png
I think I like this view best
M8_HLA_F125wF160w_Nachman1024.jpg
Makes you want to go swimming
LagoonPanSTARRS_ColesPugh1024.jpg
This one reminds me of a rose!

It's amazing what something looks like in infrared!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 pm

I try to guess what I’m looking at before I read the title and description. For this one, I thought this looks like the Lagoon Nebula, but there are too many stars and not enough nebula. Then when I saw “infrared,” it became clear.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:39 am

Cousin Ricky wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 pm I try to guess what I’m looking at before I read the title and description. For this one, I thought this looks like the Lagoon Nebula, but there are too many stars and not enough nebula. Then when I saw “infrared,” it became clear.
It's amazing what different light can do for you! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

peculiar.galexy.astro
Asternaut

Post by peculiar.galexy.astro » Sat May 29, 2021 12:25 am

Just came across this forum! This was an image that I processed using data from the Hubble Space Telescope. It was the coolest thing that my image got chosen and it made me so happy!! I love processing near-infrared images from Hubble. They are so stunning and getting to see all of the hidden stars is beautiful! :mrgreen: