APOD: Confirmed Muon Wobble Remains... (2021 Apr 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: Confirmed Muon Wobble Remains... (2021 Apr 13)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:20 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm
neufer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:33 pm I used my brain to conclude long ago that there is no after life.
Oh contraire! There is indeed an "after life".

It's just that when we die, we will no longer be participating in it. :D
  • Whether we participate or not is really a decision to be best left
    in FSM's Noodly Appendages since we will no longer have Free Will.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:

Afterlife: The Pastafarian conception of Heaven includes a beer volcano and a stripper (or sometimes prostitute) factory. (Pastafarian Hell is similar, except that the beer is stale and the strippers have STDs.)

Creation: The central creation myth is that an invisible and undetectable Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe "after drinking heavily". According to these beliefs, the Monster's intoxication was the cause for a flawed Earth [and the muon wobble]. Furthermore, according to Pastafarianism, all evidence for evolution was planted by the Flying Spaghetti Monster in an effort to test the faith of Pastafarians. When scientific measurements such as radiocarbon dating are taken, the Flying Spaghetti Monster "is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage".>>
Sadly, I'm not much of a practicing Pastafarian either. But I will admit to a fondness for the creation myth in Lord Dunsany's The Gods of Pegana - http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/8395/pg8395.html
In the mists before THE BEGINNING, Fate and Chance cast lots to decide whose the Game should be; and he that won strode through the mists to MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI and said: "Now make gods for Me, for I have won the cast and the Game is to be Mine." Who it was that won the cast, and whether it was Fate or whether Chance that went through the mists before THE BEGINNING to MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI—none knoweth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_of_Pegāna :
Gahan Wilson praised The Gods of Pegāna as "a wonderfully sustained exercise in totally ironic fantasy which may never be beaten. Speaking in a highly original mix of King James Bible English, Yeatsian syntax, and Scheherazadian imagery, [Dunsany] introduces us to a wonderfully sinister Valhalla populated with mad, spectacularly cruel and wonderfully silly gods ... whose only genuine amusement appears to derive from the inventive damage they inflict upon their misbegotten worshippers".[6] E. F. Bleiler lauded the collection as "a convincing, marvelous creation of an alien cosmology".[7]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:48 pm

I hear ya johnnydeep....I would wager 1 muon and 2 god particles that he/she is one helluva parable.

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. It's great to know we can agree we need ongoing scientific investigation and if done with integrity, accept the fact it will force us to change perceptions the more we learn.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:30 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:42 pm
NCTom wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:32 pm As a believer in a Creator-God and who also believes he gave us a brain to use, this kind of research is essential to move toward a greater understanding of the big picture. That includes the most elemental particles to the strongest of forces driving motion in our universe. Limited as we are with a rather tiny observation point fixed on this grain of matter in one planetary system in one galaxy in one small spot of the totality, we have a lot yet to learn. Einstein tried but he had neither today's tools nor a long enough life. The more we research and learn the more we confirm his theories on the interconnectedness of the very small and the very large. A fourteen billion year-old universe, or however old it is, can create a lot of big and little things. We need bigger colliders.
I used my brain to conclude long ago that there is no Creator-God. Should he or she - contrary to all reason, logic and evidence - actually exist, I trust he or she won't hold this against me in the after life. :ssmile:
As a dyslexic agnostic I have yet to decide if there is a dog...
Ego vigilate
Ego audire