APOD: Pink and the Perigee Moon (2021 Apr 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Pink and the Perigee Moon (2021 Apr 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:05 am

Image Pink and the Perigee Moon

Explanation: On April 25 a nearly full moon rose just before sunset. Welcomed in a clear blue sky and framed by cherry blossoms, its familiar face was captured in this snapshot from Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland. Known to some as a Pink Moon, April's full lunar phase occurred with the moon near perigee. That's the closest point in its not-quite-circular orbit around planet Earth, making this Pink Moon one of the closest and brightest full moons of the year. If you missed it, don't worry. Your next chance to see a full perigee moon will be on May 26. Known to some as a Flower Moon, May's full moon will actually be closer to you than April's by about 98 miles (158 kilometers), or about 0.04% the distance from the Earth to the Moon at perigee.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Pink and the Perigee Moon (2021 Apr 30)

Post by Ann » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 am

Well, thank you, Moon. If you hadn't been there to provide stabilizing influence for the Earth, then maybe, who knows, there wouldn't have been any cherry blossoms on the Earth.

Or a lot of other life forms, either.

Ann
Color Commentator

Redbone
Ensign

Post by Redbone » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am

I believe that there is more to consider than just the moon's elliptical orbit when considering it's apparent brightness. Like the sun, the moon changes its position in the sky with the seasons. Unlike the sun, the (full) moon is highest in the sky during winter, and lowest in the sky during summer. Thus a full moon appears brighter in the winter.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:07 pm

pink_moon1024.jpg

Hard to tell the pink appearance if the moon with the
cherry blossoms surrounding it! :) Nice photo!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:03 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:07 pm pink_moon1024.jpg

Contrary to popular misconception, I don't think it's color is why it's called a pink moon. From the link - https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/1818/ ... pink-moon/
In the 1930s the Maine Farmer's Almanac began publishing American Indian Moon names for the months of the year. According to this almanac, as the full Moon in April, this is the Pink Moon, named after the herb moss pink, also known as creeping phlox, moss phlox, or mountain phlox. The plant is native to the eastern United States and is one of the earliest widespread flowers of spring.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Channeling my inner neufer, here's a relaxing and appropriate song:

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
I saw it written and I saw it say
Pink moon is on its way
And none of you stand so tall
Pink moon gonna get you all
It's a pink moon
It's a pink, pink, pink, pink, pink moon.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 01, 2021 12:15 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Contrary to popular misconception, I don't think it's color is why it's called a pink moon. From the link - https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/1818/ ... pink-moon/
In the 1930s the Maine Farmer's Almanac began publishing American Indian Moon names for the months of the year. According to this almanac, as the full Moon in April, this is the Pink Moon, named after the herb moss pink, also known as creeping phlox, moss phlox, or mountain phlox. The plant is native to the eastern United States and is one of the earliest widespread flowers of spring.
OK; but, this one with the cherry blossoms actually loos like it may be pink! :lol2:
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:15 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:03 pm

OK; but, this one with the cherry blossoms actually loos like it may be pink! :lol2:
Probably just an optical illusion caused by the surrounding pink flowers?
--

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 01, 2021 1:10 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm

file.jpg
I took the flowers out, and I still think it look kinda pink! :yes:
Maybe though; that it could be only my impression!
Last edited by bystander on Sat May 01, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quotes
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:10 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm

file.jpg
I took the flowers out, and I still think it look kinda pink! :yes:
Maybe though; that it could be only my impression!
Maybe a little. There are certainly many images of pinkish and reddish full moons in a blue sky out there. I think the bulk of them are taken when the moon is low in the sky. Not exactly sure how high the moon is in this APOD, but the text does say "the moon rose just before sunset", which might imply it was still low at the time of the pic.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 pm Maybe a little. There are certainly many images of pinkish and reddish full moons in a blue sky out there. I think the bulk of them are taken when the moon is low in the sky. Not exactly sure how high the moon is in this APOD, but the text does say "the moon rose just before sunset", which might imply it was still low at the time of the pic.
Under twilight conditions (such that we can see the landscape illuminated and the sky as blue), a full Moon will always be near the horizon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 01, 2021 3:01 pm

th.jpg
th.jpg (3.3 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
A Pink moon can probably be seen whenever
the conditions are right! I think it is called pink for
April full moon! Here is an image of a pink moon!
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 pm Maybe a little. There are certainly many images of pinkish and reddish full moons in a blue sky out there. I think the bulk of them are taken when the moon is low in the sky. Not exactly sure how high the moon is in this APOD, but the text does say "the moon rose just before sunset", which might imply it was still low at the time of the pic.
Under twilight conditions (such that we can see the landscape illuminated and the sky as blue), a full Moon will always be near the horizon.
I have trouble visualizing this stuff. So if the moon was full, but high in the sky, that would mean that the sun would have to be well below the horizon, and thus the sky would be dark?
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm
I have trouble visualizing this stuff. So if the moon was full, but high in the sky, that would mean that the sun would have to be well below the horizon, and thus the sky would be dark?
Yup. A full Moon means that the Moon and Sun are on opposite sides of the Earth. The Moon crosses the meridian at about local midnight. (At high latitudes, of course, the Moon might always be pretty low in the sky.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat May 01, 2021 4:25 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:46 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm

Yup. A full Moon means that the Moon and Sun are on opposite sides of the Earth. The Moon crosses the meridian at about local midnight. (At high latitudes, of course, the Moon might always be pretty low in the sky.)
Ok, that makes sense.
--