APOD: Space Station Silhouette on the Moon (2021 Dec 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Space Station Silhouette on the Moon (2021 Dec 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 am

Image Space Station Silhouette on the Moon

Explanation: What's that unusual spot on the Moon? It's the International Space Station. Using precise timing, the Earth-orbiting space platform was photographed in front of a partially lit gibbous Moon last month. The featured composite, taken from Payson, Arizona, USA last month, was intricately composed by combining, in part, many 1/2000-second images from a video of the ISS crossing the Moon. A close inspection of this unusually crisp ISS silhouette will reveal the outlines of numerous solar panels and trusses. The bright crater Tycho is visible on the upper left, as well as comparatively rough, light colored terrain known as highlands, and relatively smooth, dark colored areas known as maria. On-line tools can tell you when the International Space Station will be visible from your area.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Re: APOD: Space Station Silhouette on the Moon (2021 Dec 06)

Post by alter-ego » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:27 am

Nice image.
I estimate the pixel resolution at the ISS ≈ 1 meter. An astronaut on a spacewalk might be visible if face-on (maximum area) to the camera.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:40 am

Some parts of the Moon surface look quite blue. This is a clear case of color enhancement.

Ann
Color Commentator

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am

Four years ago, when Grandson No.1 was old enough to be shown a sky object and young enough not to be sceptical, we showed him the ISS flying overhead on Christmas Eve, as Santa's Sleigh. I hope that after my criticism of the use of "Blood Moon" I may be forgiven a harmless little fable in favour of childhood wonder?

He now has a brother of that age, and so I clicked on the link above to find when the ISS might be visible, this Christmas. The link doesn't work! Try https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ and you get straight to it. Happy Observations of Santa's Sleigh, everyone!
John

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am

Four years ago, when Grandson No.1 was old enough to be shown a sky object and young enough not to be sceptical, we showed him the ISS flying overhead on Christmas Eve, as Santa's Sleigh. He now has a brother of that age, and so I clicked on the link above to find when the ISS might be visible, this Christmas. The link doesn't work! Try https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ and you get straight to it. Happy Observations of Santa's Sleigh, everyone!
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:51 am Four years ago, when Grandson No.1 was old enough to be shown a sky object and young enough not to be sceptical, we showed him the ISS flying overhead on Christmas Eve, as Santa's Sleigh. I hope that after my criticism of the use of "Blood Moon" I may be forgiven a harmless little fable in favour of childhood wonder?
The "little fable" of the ISS as Santa's sleigh pales in comparison with the huge fable of Santa!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Oh, come on, Chris! It must be true, NORAD tracks him every Christmas!
And how do those presents arrive otherwise?

Don't listen, kids, that old killjoy will have you believe next that the Tooth Fairy is in league with Colgate!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm Oh, come on, Chris! It must be true, NORAD tracks him every Christmas!

Don't listen, kids, that old killjoy will have you believe next that the Tooth Fairy is in league with Colgate!
I'm not arguing against presenting the fable. Just comparing the magnitude of the fables involved here!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm
The "little fable" of the ISS as Santa's sleigh pales in comparison with the huge fable of Santa!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#Tracking_Santa_Claus wrote:

<<The origins of the NORAD Tracks Santa programme began in the United States in 1955, when a Sears Roebuck store in Colorado Springs, Colorado, gave children a number to call a "Santa hotline". The number was mistyped, resulting in children calling the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) on Christmas Eve instead. The Director of Operations, Colonel Harry Shoup, received the first call for Santa and responded by claiming to children that there were signs on the radar that Santa was indeed heading south from the North Pole. In addition to providing holiday-themed entertainment, "Santa tracking" websites raise interest in space technology and exploration, serve to educate children in geography and encourage them to take an interest in science.>>
Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:35 pm

If true, then Col.Harry is not the Grinch that our Chris is!

But the Director of Ops at Norad, taking telephone callsfrom the public? Come on, urban myth!
Unless the misprint was his red, hotline desk phone!

By the way, changed my avatar for Christmas. Whoop-de-doo.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 pm

IssMoon_McCarthy_1663.jpg
! like this ISS silhouette over the Moon! From the time I came to
Earth 'til now technology has progressed at an enormous rate! At this
rate we'll be driving flying saucers before you realize it! :mrgreen: At any
rate; it is a fantastic photo! 😉
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:47 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#Tracking_Santa_Claus wrote:

<<The origins of the NORAD Tracks Santa programme began in the United States in 1955, when a Sears Roebuck store in Colorado Springs, Colorado, gave children a number to call a "Santa hotline". The number was mistyped, resulting in children calling the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) on Christmas Eve instead. The Director of Operations, Colonel Harry Shoup, received the first call for Santa and responded by claiming to children that there were signs on the radar that Santa was indeed heading south from the North Pole. In addition to providing holiday-themed entertainment, "Santa tracking" websites raise interest in space technology and exploration, serve to educate children in geography and encourage them to take an interest in science.>>
That may be make believe; but it is way too scary! 🥶
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 am Image Space Station Silhouette on the Moon

Explanation: What's that unusual spot on the Moon? It's the International Space Station. Using precise timing, the Earth-orbiting space platform was photographed in front of a partially lit gibbous Moon last month. The featured composite, taken from Payson, Arizona, USA last month, was intricately composed by combining, in part, many 1/2000-second images from a video of the ISS crossing the Moon. A close inspection of this unusually crisp ISS silhouette will reveal the outlines of numerous solar panels and trusses. The bright crater Tycho is visible on the upper left, as well as comparatively rough, light colored terrain known as highlands, and relatively smooth, dark colored areas known as maria. On-line tools can tell you when the International Space Station will be visible from your area.
I'm not understanding the image composition method here. Was a separate image of the gibbous moon - sans ISS - combined with some frames from that video that does show the ISS? If so, I fail to see the purpose.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:53 pm
APOD Robot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:05 am Image Space Station Silhouette on the Moon

I'm not understanding the image composition method here. Was a separate image of the gibbous moon - sans ISS - combined with some frames from that video that does show the ISS? If so, I fail to see the purpose.
I didn't see the connection either; but i loved the picture of the gibbous moon!
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 pm

Presumably to take advantage of lucky imaging algorithms to get a very high resolution ISS image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 pm

Presumably to take advantage of lucky imaging algorithms to get a very high resolution ISS image.
"Lucky"? So, was the ISS really transiting the moon in the position shown here, and just the ISS was "enhanced" using frames from the video? Or is this pic composed solely from the frames of the video? Still not clear to me, but I guess it doesn't really matter...
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:18 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm

"Lucky"? So, was the ISS really transiting the moon in the position shown here, and just the ISS was "enhanced" using frames from the video? Or is this pic composed solely from the frames of the video? Still not clear to me, but I guess it doesn't really matter...
I don't know. If I were taking it with similar equipment, I'd build the ISS image out of the video sequence, and then overlay it on one of the single frames. That would make it a perfectly accurate representation of the event but with a higher resolution ISS image than is possible in a single frame. A perfectly reasonable technique, IMO.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:18 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm
I don't know. If I were taking it with similar equipment, I'd build the ISS image out of the video sequence, and then overlay it on one of the single frames. That would make it a perfectly accurate representation of the event but with a higher resolution ISS image than is possible in a single frame. A perfectly reasonable technique, IMO.
I would have to agree.
--