Moderatorship or Censorship?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

What do you think?

You may select 1 option

View results

makc
Commodore

Moderatorship or Censorship?

Post by makc » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:26 pm

I was recently accused in over-locking topics. Don't want repeat myself, so just go and check the link in my signature [it's not there any more], if you care.

Anyway, I'd like to hear everybody's voice. Did I locked to many topics for the sake of keeping forum clean? Should everybody be allowed to start a thread on their own, no matter how many threads already exists on the same topic? If so, pick "Let me speak".

I know you believe in democracy. But if someone thinks that having cleaner forum is somewhat better, pick "Keep it clean".
Last edited by makc on Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:02 pm

Well, though there are a lot of "lockings," most of them do seem to keep the conversations organized.

Granted...if you were to "let the threads fly" as it were, there would be a lot of repeated subjects. But we could always go back to the traditional thread control mechanisim: mild public heckling.
"d00d, that is like, total OFN."
:lol:

No worries Makc, keep doin' your thing.

Though I must say you did steal my thunder a bit once. I think you know what I am refering too...my otherwise well-constructed Deep Impact thread...

:P

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:25 pm

ahhhhh, I was wondering why the extra Hyperion thread didn't get locked and the post or posts moved to the original one. This explains it now. Your method of locking the duplicate threads and transferring the posts works to keep it all on track. Nothing is lost and the posts you transfer give the credit to the original poster. By all means, KEEP IT CLEAN makc! Thank You!

I caught the post that Hal Womack started, and the attitude. :roll:
Makc does NOT exclude topics for discussion!
Makc is polite and very helpful, even to a poster such as this one.

Most posters click before engaging brain. Posters should check for other threads on the same topic first before clicking on POST NEW THREAD.
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

mfortsm
Ensign

Re: Moderatorship or Censorship?

Post by mfortsm » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:35 pm

makc wrote:I was recently accused in over-locking topics. Don't want repeat myself, so just go and check the link in my signature, if you care.

Anyway, I'd like to hear everybody's voice. Did I locked to many topics for the sake of keeping forum clean? Should everybody be allowed to start a thread on their own, no matter how many threads already exists on the same topic? If so, pick "Let me speak".

I know you believe in democracy. But if someone thinks that having cleaner forum is somewhat better, pick "Keep it clean".

You will run yourself crazy trying to redirect every duplicated post about a specific subject. If your bandwidth is not at a limit I would let it go and just look for hatefull-bashing or vulgar post or posters. First responce for a person with a locked thread is to take it personal before understanding why it was locked. Your work is good but really if not hurting anything then not needed to such a degree. Of course this is just one opinion. Cheers, Mike H. :)

Black wHole
Asternaut

keep it clean!!!

Post by Black wHole » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:20 pm

I only joined a week ago, but I have been a faithful APODer since 2000. I love how organized this site is, and I especially liked the community nature. Makc, I think what your doing as a moderator works well and does not censor... thank you very much!

8)

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 am

Orca wrote:...you did steal my thunder a bit once.
I actually found that thread after I started my own. Funny, I did just the same thing I am locking threads for, didn't I :? And I even didn't post link back. Well, who's without sin?

And hyperion thing - I've simply missed it. And now, I'll wait for more votes in this poll.

To sum up, I think we definetly need more moderators.

Boldra
Ensign

Post by Boldra » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Keep the current course Makc. Good work up till now.

Only one question about your moderation: why are you not logged in for about half of your posts? This seems to invite confusion.

BTW: you might want to check your signature. Don't you mean "Did I just lock your topic ..." or "Have I just locked your topic ..." ?

Boldra

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:35 pm

Often it is easier to moderate from the "background" instead of logging in. Or, as I often do, I use several computers and most are not set to auto log on.

But, why are more moderators needed? The rules are simply stated at the top of the forum for all to see. It may be better to mention that posters should state clearly the APOD and give the link to it in their first post along with any other relevant links of their own research into their questions or comments. Just a suggestion. 8)

One aspect that keeps things interesting is that the age and education level of posters varies so greatly here. :shock:
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

deborah
Ensign

Post by deborah » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:24 pm

I admire and appreciate the way you are able to keep threads organized instead of all over the place. It's got to take up a lot of your time, thanks for that!
Deborah

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:17 am

Boldra wrote:...why are you not logged in for about half of your posts? This seems to invite confusion.
simply because most forums don't require logging in to post.
Boldra wrote:you might want to check your signature.
well, only if you insist 8)

Bad Buoys
Ensign

Post by Bad Buoys » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:56 am

deborah wrote:I admire and appreciate the way you are able to keep threads organized instead of all over the place. It's got to take up a lot of your time, thanks for that!
I agree.

Thanks for all the time you put in.

Keep up the great work!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:41 am

Here is a great chaos coming over your heads, and beasts shalt have no mercy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Okay, what I am trying to say is that I am going away from my PC for 2 weeks. Having no other internet connection, I won't be able to play God here, so let's see how you people will or will not screw things up for 2 weeks without rule №5. Sort of ultimate test if you guys really need me doing this ;)

Bad Buoys
Ensign

Post by Bad Buoys » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:33 am

makc wrote:Here is a great chaos coming over your heads, and beasts shalt have no mercy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't stay away too long . :shock: - :shock: - :shock:

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:38 pm

Bad Buoys wrote:Don't stay away too long . :shock: - :shock: - :shock:
Exactly face and words of my boss.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:00 pm

TWO WEEKS ! ! ! Ohhhhhh shite! :shock:

Hope yah have fun, or learn something, or make a bunch a money, Sea Yah in two weeks.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:36 pm

...funny thing is that I don't remember when I locked something last time. I guess APOD public gets better in quality. Or less in number. Or both...

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Oh oh,,, makc loosing the memory?
Or, is that just short term memory loss?

:wink:
Norval

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:18 pm

...meaning?

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:25 am

Definitely meaning. :D

mgeorge
Ensign

Post by mgeorge » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:14 pm

I favour reducing the duplication of topics. However, such dupication is to be expected if an existing title is vague. Once started, can a thread title be "improved"?

Bad Buoys
Ensign

Post by Bad Buoys » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:43 am

Very good question. I have never seen a bulletin board on which you can do this but that doesn't mean it can't be done, or hasn't been done in the past by someones hack.

Besides asking that here you might try starting a new "Asterisk BB Software" thread over at the Asterisk Cafe forum. It would be a good place for others to ask questions related to the bulletin board's operation.

You can also click on the Powered by phpBB link at the extreme bottom of any page. That will take you to the software maker's site and the Community link on their toolbar will take you to their forums where you will have access to a number of people knowlegeable about the bulletin board software as it is used everywhere, not just here at Asterisk.

Your question is a good one as I've sometimes wished I'd worded the title differently myself. I would think that the originator of a thread and, of course, the moderators could make good use of such a function.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:53 am

mgeorge wrote:Once started, can a thread title be "improved"?
Thread author, forum moderator and admin have Image button for that purpose. I would prefer thread authors using it.
Bad Buoys wrote:Besides asking that here you might try starting a new "Asterisk BB Software" thread over at the Asterisk Cafe forum. It would be a good place for others to ask questions related to the bulletin board's operation.

You can also click on the Powered by phpBB link at the extreme bottom of any page...
I would rather reccomend to click on Image FAQ link at the extreme top of any page ;)

mgeorge
Ensign

Post by mgeorge » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:07 pm

Keeping the "New Topic" button outside threads (in the list of threads) might solve a lot of problems.

FieryIce
Science Officer

MIA

Post by FieryIce » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:14 pm

Moderator Dan will attempt to answer questions within a few days.
What ever happened to Dan?
Tic Toc

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:23 am