Origin of the "big bang" ??

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
ta152h0
Schooled

Origin of the "big bang" ??

Post by ta152h0 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:00 am

Anyone know where in the sky, we know today, is the location of the original "big bang "? And when the " big bang " ocurred, all the material got expelled at once, like blowing up a balloon , and because of different velocities, we have a 3D universe ?
Wolf Kotenberg

Recycled Electrons
Ensign

Post by Recycled Electrons » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:35 am

There is no Big Bang National Park.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:27 pm

Recycled Electrons wrote:There is no Big Bang National Park.
There's no park...but there's always the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!

:P

ta152h0, for one thing, you can't think about the expansion of the universe in terms of a bunch of "stuff" flying out of a central point like a firecracker exploding. For one thing there was no "stuff" at first; space itself was expanding out.

I am no expert and I am sure there are folks on these boards that can describe this better than I can. The easiest way I can explain it is this: Imagine the universe as an expanding bubble. The three dimensions we are familiar with are wrapped up in the outer layer of this bubble. Time, the fourth dimension, is the only dimension that extends from the center of the bubble. That's why there is no "physical" center that you can find or go to. You can only move in the three dimensions on the outer surface of the universe; you can't "go" to a past time.

I have seen some really cool diagrams describing this; I googled a bit but could not locate one. If you want a deeper understanding of the Big Bang I would suggest hitting the books, specifically Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.

Good luck!

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 am

The easiest(!) analogy is to think of a 2D organism living on the earth.

If it is 2 dimensional, it only knows about the surface of the earth. If this 2 dimensional being went all profound one day and asked itself 'Where's the centre of the earth?', he would certainly struggle to find an answer.

We 3D indivuals are aware of the core of the earth, but the 2D being isn't - it's outside his range of compreshension. He could however discover that his 2D world is 'curved' by drawing triangles and noticing the sides curve for example, but he wouldn't be aware of 'what' it's curving into.

It's a strange place this home of ours....
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:00 pm

...so the center of the big bang is somewhere near t=0 in 4D world. other three coordinates are really mystic.

Empeda
Ensign

Post by Empeda » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:24 pm

... or possibly where t=0 in a 11D universe, if ya into superstring theory - which incidently - I'm not....!!!
I'm an Astrophysics Graduate from Keele University, England - doesn't mean I know anything but I might be able to help!

ta152h0
Schooled

physical location of " Big Bang "

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:09 pm

so far all is described since t=0. At t=0 and before, all matter that permeates the universe we know today was compressed into a single point ( nothingness ??). Eventually I am going to ask about the current view that the Universe is still accellerating into the nothingness. I have and read the Hawkin's book , which is the thought engine that drives my questions. many greeting to you all
W
Wolf Kotenberg

Odegard
Ensign

Post by Odegard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:01 am

This site is very good:
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni.html

And this recent article is also very good (atleast entertaining):
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Arc ... nergy.html
Maintainer of the Norwegian mirror