Question about Peiades

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Kristen
Asternaut

Question about Peiades

Post by Kristen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi. My name is Kristen. This is my first post here. I LOVE galaxies, and have had the Picture of The Day as a link on my toolbar for years. The recent Peides one is lovely. :lol: I've seen images of the Peiades before, but am wondering about the sort of ... how do I put it ... the movement in the glowing areas. As an artist, I'm just wondering about the sort of paths of movement that the image shows. Is that sort of pattern of movement really there? Very interesting!

Thanks again for sharing such lovely images! I'll do a painting of galaxies one of these days - using your images as inspiration.

Take care!
Kristen
Unique Artwork and Jewelry
http://www.GemsAndBeyond.com

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 am

Do you mean the clouds,,,,,,,,,they are normal
Harry : Smile and live another day.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:09 am

Welcome Kristen!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060109.html

The wispy strands of blue filaments are indeed intriguing. I can't answer your question of their movements but I wonder if this is a star forming region; there doesn't seem to be enough dust there to form more stars?
Very beautiful sight though.

Orin

gordhaddow
Ensign

Post by gordhaddow » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:01 am

Those blue strands, identified as 'reflection nebulae', are streamers of carbon dust; the dust grains reflect light toward the blue end of the spectrum, while increasingly absorbing frequencies further toward the red end. The carbon has to have been formed in now-dead stars; the 'streamers' may be the result of local stars' deaths (expulsion), light pressure from existing local stars, or gravitational balancing within the system (Lagrange profiles in a multi-body situation) - or some combination of all of the above
Slan go foill!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:07 am

Hello gordhaddow

I like your response.

Empeda2
Science Officer

Post by Empeda2 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:07 pm

gordhaddow wrote:Those blue strands, identified as 'reflection nebulae', are streamers of carbon dust; the dust grains reflect light toward the blue end of the spectrum, while increasingly absorbing frequencies further toward the red end. The carbon has to have been formed in now-dead stars; the 'streamers' may be the result of local stars' deaths (expulsion), light pressure from existing local stars, or gravitational balancing within the system (Lagrange profiles in a multi-body situation) - or some combination of all of the above
In the same way that makes the sky blue during the day - the lower wavelength blue light is reflected, whereas the lower wavelength aren't (no where near as much anyway).
The Artist Formerly Known as Empeda

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:16 am

<<... how do I put it ... the movement in the glowing areas. As an artist, I'm just wondering about the sort of paths of movement that the image shows. Is that sort of pattern of movement really there? Very interesting! >>

Hi, Yes, the movement is really there, but it is ever so slow in our time span. A decade from now it would be hard to see a difference, we live such short lives.

No, the movement is not there, as the streaking like an artists brush strokes, is not necessarily the direction of movement of the particles reflecting the starlight.

It's a yes and no, depending on how you mean your words.

The span of the brush strokes is 2 - 3 light years across or long, our solar system is measured in light hours to Pluto. These are very large structures, and so very slow to move or change, as their velocities are definately sub-light speed by quite a bit.

The kind of particles there, effect what frequencies are absorbed and reflected or reemitted, of the starlight. (thanks Gordhaddow)

As solar winds push the gasses and dusts they balloon and that can make the strech marks like brush strokes. Or it may be an artifact of the angle of the starlight, like when looking at a sunset the lines point toward the setting sun for each observer, no matter where they are looking from.

Sometimes magnetic fields will make brushstroke lines in photos.
Have a look at some of the 'galactic center radio arc' photos from Spitzer space telescope, maybe on the Spitzer.com site, I sort of forget where, but they were most spectacular of our Milky Way Galaxy central core !
Maybe on APOD, you might remember them.
There is a huge 13 light year radius magnetic field centered on the supermassive gravity-anomily at our galactic core.

That's where I want to go for my summer vaction this year ! for study.

kovil
Science Officer

Galactic Center Radio Arc

Post by kovil » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Here's the link to APOD's Galactic Center Radio Arc;

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050403.html

Many of the blue words lead to many trails for exploration of the subject.

One of APOD's greatest day postings!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:57 am

Nice link Kovil

Sorry that I did not included in the list.

I know that Black Holes spin.

I just wandering if the streaks are created by the Spin of the Black Hole.
The electromagnetic and gravitational forces creating the infamous hour glass formation that we see on many stella bodies.

Maybe its in the early stages of creating jet streams.
Its quite interesting.

I will need more images,,,,,,,,,

Can you go out there and take a few photos,,,,,,,,,smile

Be back for lunch

kovil
Science Officer

Leave your Capital One card at home !

Post by kovil » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Harry,

When you google 'magnetohydrodynamics'

be sure to go to Amara.com , for Dr. Amara Graps did a bunch of work on the subject and now she is into interstellar dust.

Whatever it is that generates magnetic fields in stars, planets, and black holes is a subject for continued studies.

The magnetic field itself is causing the ions to align to its field lines of force. It is such a big field, the force lines are that long, and pulling the ions along and colliding them into non-ionized clouds and the result is a lot of high energy radiation from the collisions.

This may be one way that a black hole is running down on its energy, the magnetic field is bleeding off energy from the black hole by imparting that energy into the particles it is accellerating !!
Huzzaahh !! Could this be a way black holes would eventually evaporate?
Now if we could just get them to stop consuming additional matter ! LOL

I expect between the radiation and the magnetic field strength any credit cards in your wallet will be rendered invalid by the time you get to the next trading outpost !

Talley Ho !! Kovil

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:41 am

Hello Kovil see the post on Magnetors

The spin is in my opinion generated by the negative and positive quarks.
I cannot expalin it.
I need a scientist in this field. Anybody out there.

But! I know that the spin is an important factor in recycling of materials.