Cartwheel of fortune 1/18/06

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Cartwheel of fortune 1/18/06

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060118.html

This galaxy reminds me of a planetary nebula. The small galaxy in the background looks like it belongs in the center of this galaxy. I wonder if this collusion was a direct center to center hit. Other opinions are appreciated.

Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:40 pm

Looking at all 4 separate images that make up the composit image, it appears that the centarl spiral area is strong in visible and infrared light,(Hot and Bright), but lacking in x-ray that might be expected in a galactic anchoring supermassive central black hole. This type of x-ray source appears to be in the area of the smaller background galaxy.

So it does appear that the background galaxy (@7:30) mighe have somehow been displaced from the cartwheels center.

I believe that this galaxy (the Cartwheel galaxy) shows signs of having had a super massive central black hole as it shows signs of rotation but that it was displaced as there is now no central x-ray source.

There are several external x-ray sources that would bear the signature of rogue super massive black holes, i.e. strong x-ray source but little to no visible light.

Perhaps a rogue super massive black hole passed beneath the galactic plane and dislocated the anchor of this galaxy.
Last edited by BMAONE23 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm wondering if the red galaxy at the about 7:30 may be what went through the cartwheel? I see that it shows up as a white dot on the x-ray illustration. Or maybe it has nothing to do with it.
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:31 pm

Could the Cartwheel Galaxy have something in common with the Sombrero Galaxy? Like most of the stars are in the rim???

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060115.html

Orin