Venus After Sunset (APOD 1 Feb '06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Orsino
Asternaut

Venus After Sunset (APOD 1 Feb '06)

Post by Orsino » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Can y'all help me understand an apparent oddity? Six months, at least, of adding a new exposure every few nights, right? I can understand why the sunset light is consistent (sun was always 7 degrees below the horizon), spread by the north-south procession through the changing seasons. Venus appears as dots, so I'm guessing the exposures were under a minute each. The building lights, too, look like what I'd expect: a few very bright, as though they were on nearly every evening, and a few dimly lit (on during just a few of the exposures).

Why, though, are those clouds so sharp and dark, as though they maintained their shape and position throughout much or most of the process?

:?:

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:37 pm

I would imagine that all the previous images of Venus in the sky were superimposed upon the final image (or one with a reasonablly clear sky) which then included the background and clouds that are visible. To that end, I would think that if the final image had clouds covering where Venus was located in a previous image that those clouds would be rubbed out of the final image or else Venus would become visible below the clouds. That or some previous reasonably clear sky image was used as the background image.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:50 pm

Bmaone23

You hit the nail head.

Keep one nice pic and superimpose the rest.
Harry : Smile and live another day.