rss feed for apod please

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
soupphysics
Ensign

rss feed for apod please

Post by soupphysics » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:13 pm

It's time APOD catches up and makes an rss feed for the APOD page.

There are people who've made such, but wouldn't it be prefereable with an official one, actually from APOD, guaranteed to be correct?

canuck100
Ensign

Re: rss feed for apod please

Post by canuck100 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:24 pm

makc
Commodore

Re: rss feed for apod please

Post by makc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:01 pm

also in "welcome" thread - search before post (yeah, right)

soupphysics
Ensign

proper rss feed implementation for apod please

Post by soupphysics » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:25 pm

I now know that there is an official apod rss feed. (the other thread is locked though, so I have to ask these new requests in a new thread).

On the apod page, a line needs to be put in the html header, that specifies the location of the rss. That way, and icon will appear in the url bar, and people and feed readers will know that it's there. You can click it and ad it to your reader, or even just specify the apod url, since the reader can find it then.

The line is like this:
<link rel=”alternate” type=”application/rss+xml” title=”APOD RSS Feed” href=”http://apod.nasa.gov/apod.rss” >

Also, the rss feed should include a url for the actual picture, so you don't have to go to the webpage first and then click the picture. That's just unnecessary clicks and unnecessary traffic for apod.

Else people aren't going to find the rss feed. They are not going to go to the forums looking for one, and even in the forums, though it's mentioned in the welcome thread, most of the links in that thread are not working at all.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: proper rss feed implementation for apod please

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Well, there is a link at the bottom you seem to be missing, but adding that line to the html header and an image link in the rss would be nice. I'm gonna fix your code though as it won't work with those right double quotation marks should anyone attempt to copy and paste it later:

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="APOD RSS Feed" href="http://apod.nasa.gov/apod.rss" >
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: proper rss feed implementation for apod please

Post by bystander » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:00 pm

FYI: The Asterisk* Forum has no official connection to APOD. The Asterisk* is hosted by MTU, not NASA.