APOD: The ISS over the Horizon (2009 Dec 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The ISS over the Horizon (2009 Dec 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 am

Image The International Space Station Over the Horizon

Explanation: This was home. Just over a week ago, the STS-129 crew of the Space Shuttle Atlantis undocked from the International Space Station (ISS) and returned to Earth. As the shuttle departed the space station, they took the above image. Visible on the ISS are numerous modules, trusses, and long wing-like solar panels. The space shuttle crew spent almost 12 days calling the space station home. The shuttle crew resupplied the space station and delivered valuable spare parts. The ISS continues to be home for five astronauts of Expedition 21. The ISS's crew now includes astronauts representing NASA, the European Space Agency, the Russian Federal Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: The International Space Station Over the Ho... (2009 Dec

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:52 am

The International Space Station Over the Ho..? :roll:
  • We'll send them cheesy movies,
    The worst we can find (la-la-la).
    They'll have to sit and watch them all,
    And we'll monitor their minds (la-la-la).
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 am

neufer wrote:The International Space Station Over the Ho..? :roll:
Watch out for those nanny filters, Mr. Robot! All you need is either (1) new guidelines for APOD titles that are compatible with Asterisk* title size limits or (2) a compression algorithm built into Mr. Robot. For the Asterisk*, I'd call this one "The ISS Over the Horizon", "International Space Station Over Horizon", or even "ISS Over Horizon" and add those candidates for abbreviation or elimination to Mr. Robot's library.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:02 pm

APOD Robot wrote:... and delivered valuable space parts.
Maybe those were valuable spare parts?

Rob

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 pm

rstevenson wrote:
APOD Robot wrote:... and delivered valuable space parts.
Maybe those were valuable spare parts?
  • Now keep in mind Joel can't control
    Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
    Because he used those spacial parts
    To make his APOD robot friend.
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: The International Space Station Over the ... (2009 Dec 0

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Well, I get to see now that the panels aren't just orange on the other side, they're really bright orange.I wonder why some of them are turned over?

Stop picking on the poor robot. It's not his fault someone edited the APOD page after he made his post. :P
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:18 pm

apodman wrote:I'd call this one "The ISS Over the Horizon"
I would call it The ISS over the Horizon, since (articles and) prepositions aren't generally capitalized in titles (only as the first word). Just something I remember from Junior High School English.

As far as space parts, that was changed after I saw the APOD this morning.

seektime
Asternaut

Post by seektime » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:31 pm

The ISS continues to be home for five astronauts of Expedition 21. The ISS's crew now includes astronauts representing NASA, the European Space Agency, the Russian Federal Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.
There's only two astronauts left on the station, not five.

The other three landed last week:

However, I do get the impression that Frank De Winne, on the right, appears to be somewhat in doubt if this is really what he had in mind when he trained for years to become an astronaut and space station commander ... :wink:

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

seektime wrote:I do get the impression that Frank De Winne, on the right, appears to be somewhat in doubt if this is really what he had in mind when he trained for years to become an astronaut and space station commander ... :wink:
I kinda like the hats.

Besides...how DOES one tell when Frank De Winne is happy?
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:13 pm

bystander wrote:(articles and) prepositions aren't generally capitalized in titles (only as the first word). ... from Junior High School English.
If only it were that simple. As someone who suffered long in the world of publishing, I can speak ex cathedra on this one (and refer you to the most universally recognized authority on the subject, the Chicago Manual of Style, which says the same thing):

There is no actual rule for use of initial caps in titles and captions except to pick a style and stick to it. Popular styles include the one you quoted. Each style has its drawbacks. The most popular (and often silliest, results-wise, IMO) version usually says something like "(except for the first word) don't capitalize the first letter of prepositions and conjunctions with two or three letters, articles 'a', 'an', and 'the', or infinitive 'to'." That leaves words like "Over", "With" and "While" in a potentially ugly mix with lowercase words of equal standing. If your draw the line at five letters, "Because" sticks out like a sore thumb. Words like "One" remain in the fringe. Acronyms can cause trouble. Capitalized adverbs "You", "Your", etc. can look terrible among other short words that are not capitalized. If I'm not bound by policy, when it gets too ugly I often simply capitalize the first letter of every word of every description no matter how small - it's the simplest rule and (in the cases where I use it) comes out no more offensive looking than a heading rendered by any other rule. For the title we're discussing, I only maintained the casing as I received it and officially washed my hands of responsibility for capitalization style.
Last edited by apodman on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm

In any case, it's amusing how quickly these little quirks have cropped up. I'll be sure to split the title by word instead of individual characters in the future to avoid potentially embarrassing situations for the bot. :lol:

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:55 pm

seektime wrote:
The ISS continues to be home for five astronauts of Expedition 21. The ISS's crew now includes astronauts representing NASA, the European Space Agency, the Russian Federal Space Agency, and the Canadian Space Agency.
There's only two astronauts left on the station, not five.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running wrote:
The movie _Silent Running_ depicts a future in which all plant life on Earth has been made extinct. Only a few specimens have been preserved just outside the orbit of Saturn, in enormous, greenhouse-like geodesic domes attached to a fleet of American Airlines "Space Freighters". Freeman Lowell (Bruce Dern) is one of four crewmen aboard the Valley Forge, one of the 2,000 metre-long freighters, and is the resident botanist and ecologist who preserves the forests for their eventual return to Earth, and the reforestation of the planet.

When orders come from Earth to jettison and destroy the domes (with nuclear charges), and return the freighters to commercial service, Lowell opts instead to save the last remaining forests. After four of the six domes on the Valley Forge are jettisoned and destroyed, Lowell kills one of his crewmates in a struggle, which leaves his right leg seriously injured. Nevertheless, he is able to prevent the destruction of one of the remaining domes. Lowell traps the other two crewmen in the other remaining dome, which he then jettisons and destroys. Enlisting the aid of the ship's three service robots (drones), which he eventually names Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Lowell stages a fake premature explosion as a ruse, and sends the Valley Forge careening away from the space freighter fleet, towards Saturn, in an attempt to hijack the ship and flee with the last forest dome. Injured and alone with the three drones, Lowell reprograms them to perform surgery on his leg.

Still in communication with the rest of the fleet, Lowell is informed that the Valley Forge is on a collision course with Saturn's rings, and there is nothing he can do to stop the catastrophic event. The ship will likely be destroyed. With communications failing due to the distance now between the Valley Forge and the rest of the fleet, the ship passes through the rings of Saturn. The three drones are outside the ship on maintenance duty, when Drone 3 (Louie) is blown away from the ship, leaving two remaining drones. The ship, and the precious dome, emerge undamaged on the other side of the rings.

Now alone, Lowell and the drones set out into deep space to maintain the forest. With boredom and the lack of company building up, Lowell tries to make the drones more like individuals by teaching them to plant trees and play poker. When Lowell's conscience sets in, he instructs the drones to bury the crewman he killed in the dome. With thoughts of the human toll he has taken to save the last forest, Lowell is horrified when he realises that his forest is dying. After weeks alone in space, the Berkshire, a sister ship, locates the freighter and informs Lowell that he must jettison the dome. Lowell realises that what was killing the forest was the lack of sunlight, and he wires up several banks of lights. Realising that his murders will be uncovered, Lowell jettisons the last dome to safety with Dewey, and arms nuclear charges to destroy himself, drone 2 'Huey' (who was damaged in a collision with Lowell's Odyssey cart earlier in the film and whom Lowell thought too damaged to remain in the dome with Dewey) and the "Valley Forge", thus ensuring the preservation of the last dome. The final scene shows a well-lit forest greenhouse drifting into deep space, with drone 1 (Dewey) tending to its care.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ricardelico
Ensign

Re: The ISS over the Horizon (2009 Dec 07)

Post by ricardelico » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Where is the solar panel arm in http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091130.html to be seen here? It is obviously not one of the 8 long unit pairs.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: The ISS over the Horizon (2009 Dec 07)

Post by geckzilla » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 am

If you click to see the large image, you can see those way in the back. They almost blend in with the darkness.