Weird phenomenon over Norway

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Drabkikker
Ensign

Weird phenomenon over Norway

Post by Drabkikker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 am

Any thoughts on the strange phenomenon that was seen over Norway this morning?

http://www.altaposten.no/lokalt/nyheter ... 316411.ece
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dltq/4171468648/sizes/o/
http://www.vgtv.no/?id=27553 (video)

There is a thread on it at Something Awful. Suggestions (ignoring the obvious 'Photoshop') range from Russion rockets to disco laser shows, and from meteors to auroras. What do you think?

Drabkikker

Some pictures:

Drabkikker
Ensign

Re: Weird phenomenon over Norway

Post by Drabkikker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:30 pm

Hm, the last two images seem to have some trouble showing. Here they are again. If they still don't work, drag the word 'image' to the address bar to see them.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Drabkikker wrote:Any thoughts on the strange phenomenon that was seen over Norway this morning?
Unless I see images from some additional sources and viewpoints, I'm leaning heavily towards the opinion this is a hoax. My initial guess would be that something real there (what I see near the horizon looks like it could either be a persistent meteor train or a rocket launch, caught in the high altitude sunlight). The spiral structure looks suspiciously Photoshopped from that, however.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm

It does look like a laser light show, though it must be a powerful laser. In the videos posted on vgtv.no, the light appears to emanate from outside what I guess is a town that can be seen in the distance. In one video, it appears that the camera was recording before the show started. I wonder what the weather conditions were.

Drabkikker
Ensign

Post by Drabkikker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 pm

The spiral structure looks suspiciously Photoshopped from that, however.
I agree that the spiral structure does look suspiciously fake in the pictures. However, there is a video where you can see that there really was something spinning round in a spiral-like way: http://www.vgtv.no/?id=27558&category=1
It does look like a laser light show
Yup, a disco laser light show was also the first thing that sprang to my mind. However, I find it difficult to explain the blue funnel-like structure in that way. I think it is unlikely for that to be a light projection beam, since it is curved (a bit like a comet's tail) and had a spirally structure to it. To me it looks more like a gaseous vapour of some kind. While Russian rockets seem a bit far-fetched, I am not opposed to the suggestion that this was some kind of launched object.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:33 pm

bystander wrote:It does look like a laser light show, though it must be a powerful laser.
It must get pretty boring in December in Norway!
http://www.laservision.com.au/page.asp?lid=1&sec=Company&subsec=FAQ%27s wrote:
1. How is a laser show achieved?

There are various methods of producing laser shows; Laservision’s Excelsior laser animation software automates much of the process creating intermediate frames in real time between selected key frames. Alternatively, animation can be created in any other computer animation package or each frame can be individually drawn by an animator. Frames are then displayed in rapid succession to create the illusion of movement.

2. Can I advertise my company via a laser show on the clouds?

Certainly if you can guarantee the weather ! We recommend that a more reliable medium be used. Cloud projection can be considered a bonus when it is possible.

3. Do laser projectors need a lot of electricity and water?

Most laser systems run on 3 phase power, this is readily available almost everywhere. A standard clean water supply is needed for cooling. Smaller laser projectors only need a standard domestic power supply and are cooled by an inbuilt fan or chillers not requiring any water.
Art Neuendorffer

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 pm

If the spiral is not photoshopped, I can only think that its appearance is from a time exposure of a laser projection, with the shutter luckily open for just the right interval.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Could it have been emitting some kind of fluorescent chemicals? The structure looks three dimensional and lit from the inside to me, either with a play on light or using actual chemicals. And the blue tail would suggest that it is not only spinning but propelled forward, as well. Chris brings up an excellent point about there being no photos of it from other angles, though.

Edit:
An independent source finds the remains long after it happened? See description: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandkerstin2/4171273445/
Saw a strange turquoise light this morning: it reminded me of a northern light, but have never seen it so stable for such a long time, so bright (when there was no solar activity) and in this colour. No clue what it might have been!

Finnmarksvidda, Alta, Norway. 8:10-8:40am on 09.December 2009.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm surprised nobody has blamed HAARP or EISCAT (near Tromsø, Norway).

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:09 pm

bystander wrote:EISCAT
Incoherent Scatter? First I've heard of it in this forum.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:16 pm

apodman wrote:Incoherent Scatter? First I've heard of it in this forum.
Unfortunately, these forums (fora) seem to have a lot of it.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

To serve man...as a jalapeño dip.

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm

bystander wrote:I'm surprised nobody has blamed HAARP or EISCAT (near Tromsø, Norway).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Incoherent_Scatter_Scientific_Association wrote:
<<EISCAT is an acronym for the European Incoherent Scatter Scientific Association. It operates three incoherent scatter radar systems, at 224 MHz, 931 MHz in Northern Scandinavia and one at 500 MHz on Svalbard, used to study the interaction between the Sun and the Earth as revealed by disturbances in the ionosphere and magnetosphere. At the Ramfjordmoen facility (near Tromsø, Norway) it also operates an ionospheric heater facility, similar to HAARP.

In 2008, Doritos embarked upon an "out-of-this-world" advertising campaign, literally beaming a 30sec ad for Doritos brand tortilla chips into a solar system 42 light years away. The ad was beamed towards a distant star, within the Ursa Major constellation, that is orbited by planets which may harbor life.>>
----------------------------------------------------

Art Incoherent Neuendorffer (Troll) misbehaving

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:25 pm

The LHC is the new HAARP.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Oh, Chris, could an explanation for the lack of angles be that the plume happened over the ocean? If it happened over the ocean, say if it began in the White Sea, as the Russian rocket idea suggests, and traveled northwest toward the north pole, there would only be photos and videos of it taken from the south. Unless there just happened to be someone on a ship looking out or someone on the ice cap?

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Re: To serve man...as a jalapeño dip.

Post by apodman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:52 pm

neufer wrote:Incoherent ... Troll ... misbehaving
All cleverly simulated. Not buying it.

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Yeah, I'm getting email about this. My knee-jerk reaction was that this is/was a viral marketing ploy -- basically a hoax designed to create a buzz about something not yet revealed. But there do appear to be several independent images of this, and Phil Plait at badastronomy seems to think it is a real sky phenomenon. See: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... ut-norway/

So my money is currently on a malfunctioning rocket. I think with all the publicity we should know soon enough. There are people who know a lot about rocket launches and schedules. I therefore think it will be solved before we could shoot APOD at it as a collective intelligence engine. Besides, Jerry already has an APOD queued for tomorrow. Still, if I can get permission to use a good image, I may APOD it next week. Let's see what develops.

- RJN

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Oh, it's such an artistic failed rocket, if that's what it is. :o

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:44 pm

A failed rocket might explain the spiral trail, but the spiral image in the sky? Hmm, I don't know ...

Uhh, ok, I retract my statement. From Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy ...
UPDATE: From Doctor Atlantis I heard of this video which simulates particles being spewed out from a spinning rocket booster. Look familiar?
LOL: you beat me.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Did you check out that video on the link RJN posted? Here it is, a simulation:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:02 am

Some years back, I saw a program on tv. About this place

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ireland/newgrange

But when you search the net, seams a lot of cultures have also carved spirals. Some even depict the line from the center.

Interesting thread.

ms
Always trying to find the answers

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

apodman wrote:If the spiral is not photoshopped, I can only think that its appearance is from a time exposure of a laser projection, with the shutter luckily open for just the right interval.
Well, forget that idea. I just saw the picture on what appeared to be video, not a still photograph, on the (NBC) evening news (EST). Some of you in later time zones might catch it, or maybe they post their newscasts on the web for later viewing, or maybe more networks and local stations will show it.

---

Now I see the OP of this topic provided a video among the first set of links. Duh.

Drabkikker
Ensign

Post by Drabkikker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:42 am

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions! It seems indeed like the opinions converge towards the Russian rocket explanation after all.

Drabkikker

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 pm

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

At this point, I would like to run an image of this on APOD next week, but I can't find a good one that does not appear to be copyright protected. Now this was a widely visible event. Does anyone know of a good and available image out there? Thanks for any help you can be.
- RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 am

Update: I was able to get what seems like a good result from the "Free Image Search Tool" (FIST) found here:
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/fist.php

It pointed me to two images one of which is here:
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Файл:Norwe ... iral_1.JPG

It is relatively low res, but it might be good enough to use next week.

- RJN