APOD: Thor s Helmet (2010 Jun 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Thor s Helmet (2010 Jun 05)

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:35 am

Case wrote:
Pioneer 11 is now estimated to be following an escape trajectory from the solar system. Pioneer 11 will pass near the star Lambda (λ) Aquilae in about 4 million years time.
Wow, Pioneer 11 will sail past Lambda Aquilae! I'm impressed. Lambda Aquilae is a B9V type star, about twice as hot as the Sun, 52 times as luminous as the Sun in visible light and 84 times as bright as the Sun in bolometric light, that is, it is 84 times as bright as the Sun if you take into account all the energy that the star radiates in all wavelengths.

Fantastic! Lamda Aquilae is a young, hot, bright, blue star. Do you realize how rare such stars really are? When we look at the sky we may get the impression that stars like Lam Aql are common, simply because they are bright and can be seen over vast distances. In fact, 99% of all stars we can see in the sky with the naked eye are brighter than the Sun, and most of them are hotter and bluer than the Sun, too, just like Lambda Aquilae. But when astronomers search the sky with their telescopes and make an inventory of the stars, they find that 95% of the stars in the Sun's vicinity are fainter than the Sun! Isn't that amazing? If we approximate the stars we can detect with our telescopes and assume that their spectral class "demographics" is typical of stars everywhere, at least in our own galaxy and in our own time, then, according to Ken Croswell's book Planet Quest, about 5% of all stars are tiny white dwarfs, 9% are K dwarfs, and no less than 80% of all stars are faint little red M dwarfs! Only 4% of all stars are G dwarfs like the Sun, and only 2% of all stars are really brighter than the Sun! And most of those are going to be F dwarfs, just a few times brighter than the Sun! Surely stars like Lambda Aquilae can make up no more than 0.1% of all stars in our galaxy! Imagine that Pioneer 11 is going to sail past one of those rare blue diamonds in the sky! Amazing!

But what do you think about this star?
Voyager 1, in 40,000 years, will float by within 1.6 light years of star AC+79 3888 in the constellation Camelopardalis.
Lambda Aquilae is so far away that it will take Pioneer 11 four million years to make the journey to its vicinity. But Voyager 1 will sail past a star in only 40,000 years. If we assume that Pioneer 11 and Voyager 1 travel at the same speeds (which is admittedly unlikely) then that star AC+79 3888 would be a hundred times closer to us than Lambda Aquila! Well, that is obviously not the case, since Lam Aql is only 125 light years away, and a star a hundred times as close to us as that would be only 1.25 light years away! To our knowledge there just aren't any stars at all within 1.25 light years of the Sun. Clearly AC+79 3888 is farther away than that. Indeed, according to Wikipedia AC+79 3888 is 17.6 light years away. So it is seven times closer to us than Lambda Aquilae, but it is nevertheless seven magnitudes fainter to the eye! And seven magnitudes fainter means, I think, that it shines about 250 times fainter in the sky than Lambda Aquilae even though it's seven times closer to us. That is why this comparatively nearby star doesn't have a name, just a designation that hardly anyone knows how to pronounce!

But speaking of AC+79 3888, however: According to Wikipedia this star is fast approaching us, and 40,000 years from now, when Voyager 1 sails past it, it will only be 3.45 light years from the Sun! That is closer than any star is to us right now (apart from the Sun of course), closer than Alpha Centauri! But Alpha Centauri, which is intrinsically 1.5 times brighter than the Sun, looks big and bright to us in the sky, brighter than all other stars we can see except Sirius and Canopus. When AC+79 3888 sails past us closer than Alpha Centauri 40,000 years from now, it will still be invisible to the naked eye. That's how faint it is.

So Pioneer 11 will sail past one of the rare bright blue jewels in our galaxy, Voyager 1 will sail past one of the true run-of-the mill little stellar midgets of the sky, and Voyager 2 will sail past the brightest-looking star of them all (from our current vantage point), Sirius! Wow! I must say that these three spacecraft are going to run into fascinating denizens of the stellar population of our galaxy!

Ann
Color Commentator

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm

It seems obvious to me what is being shown! NGC 2359 is a Wolf Rayet star in Canis Major. It is clearly a dog, not a god. There is a cape fluttering. It is showing Superdog. :) :oops:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Even though i think it looks more like a nice blue Tortise, I'm going to keep MY Helmet handy in case those who have a "bone" to pick with you about your viewpoint start throwing them at you. :lol:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:04 pm

beyond wrote:Even though i think it looks more like a nice blue Tortise, I'm going to keep MY Helmet handy in case those who have a "bone" to pick with you about your viewpoint start throwing them at you. :lol:
That made me :), particularly the "bone" bit. :lol:

lesul
Asternaut

Post by lesul » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm crazy about faces in the space and here is a part of orginal picture (only green arrows added). Look carefully: did you see this figures? This is something like Mount Rushmore or what?
And can you find a rabbit in this picture? White rabbit.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Oh yeah, i had to stare a bit, but i can see both of them. Think we should re-name it "Mount Bubble-More"??

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:31 pm

That is obviously a cosmic portrait of a Morlock.

Rob
morlock.jpg
morlock.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 897 times

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:15 am

UUUUMMMMmmm...........No, not a morlock. But maybe a close relative - A LessLock. They were on the other side of the planet and did not eat the Eloi.
They had more of a blueish tint to their skin. They could go out in the sun for a little while.
HG Wells was so busy concentrating on the Gray Morlock----Eloi situation that He completely missed the other species of Blue Morlock.
Actually i would not be surprised if He missed a different species of Eloi also.
Perhaps Rod Taylor discovered them after He went back to the future? I guess we will never really know. :(

kevinbane
Asternaut

Post by kevinbane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying reading the APOD forum and I wanted to share with you all what I see in this image.

I have Thors Helmet up as the background on my PC. The other day I was leaning to get my headphones and out of the corner of my eye I saw an image that I am calling "Thor's Profile".

I asked Herb, an artist friend of mine, to help show what it is I'm seeing so I could share it with everyone. Attached are step by step attempts at trying to isolate the image:

1 - The original Thor's Helmet image.
2 - A first attempt at isolating "Thors Profile" which gives you an idea of what I saw. Herb decided to scrap this attempt and start over.

3 - In this image the contrast of the colors was significantly increased from the original. We lost most of the "neck" doing this but it is now much easier to see the profile.
4 - The image was changed to black and white. Color from image 3 is re-introduced ONLY in areas that help distinguish the facial features.
5 / 6 - The features are starting to stand out and the image is then isolated.

7 - A larger view of image 6. "Thor's Profile". If you look closely you can see what look like eyelids, a pupil, a nose, a mouth, cheekbones and what could be a 5 oclock shadow.

I hope you enjoyed this, it was fun putting it all together!

Kevin

mpharo

Post by mpharo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 am

The nebulea that is in the picture (Thor's helmet) has a close resemblace to two things from what I see: One, it looks like a helmet with horns, sort of what the vikings were thought to wear. On the other hand, it also looks like a giant tortoise walking over a branch that broke beneath his weight.

mpharo