Sunday: Top Ten NY Times Sunday Magazine Articles from 1910

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Sunday: Top Ten NY Times Sunday Magazine Articles from 1910

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:29 pm

The Top Ten NY Times Sunday Magazine Articles from 1910 | 13 Dec 2010
It’s that time of year when publications come up with their annual top ten roundups, so I figure I should contribute to the genre. Here, then, is my list of Top Ten New York Times Sunday Magazine Articles From 1910 (Not Including Articles Prior To March 20 Because I Didn’t Start This Blog Until Then).

It was very difficult to pick just ten out of the 179 articles I’ve posted since I started this blog. I tried to pick some that are funny, some that are historically important, and some that are just plain interesting. They are presented in no particular order.
  1. Circus Clown A Serious Person Out Of The Ring
    I love this interview with Slivers the Clown in which he laments that clowns just get no respect. It inspired me to look up whatever happened to Slivers, and that’s when I found out about his dark downward spiral. If you’re intrigued by a story of love, death, and circus clowns, give this one a read.
  2. Rathbone Ends Long List Of Lincoln Party Tragedies
    It never occurred to me that there were other people in the booth with the Lincolns when Abe was shot, so I was fascinated to read about the other couple that was there with them. Imagine how scarred they must have been by the experience. There you are, the guests of the President and First Lady, when all of a sudden the President is shot in the head as he sits right there next to you. This article tells what happened to that other couple, and everyone else who stepped foot in the booth that night. Without giving too much away, let me just say that their darkest days were yet to come.
  3. Was Queen Elizabeth A Famous Imposter?
    Bram Stoker, most famous for having written Dracula, believed that when Queen Elizabeth was a little girl, she died and was secretly replaced by a little boy named Neville and nobody ever knew. This article describes how he thinks it went down.
  4. Wireless Wonder Aged 14 Amazes Senate Committee
    If this kid were born 70 years later, he would have been building computers in his garage. Instead, he built radios in his garage, and imagined a day when people would use handheld devices to make wireless phone calls. A proponent of keeping the airwaves open, he testified before congress on the topic in his role as the president of the first amateur radio club in America. It’s a great story about a smart kid, and one of the first articles that inspired me to look up what ever happened to the person. Being able to look into our past to see what happened next feels a bit like looking into the future from 1910.
  5. Wooed a “Marjorie Daw” For Fourteen Long Years
    Today we sometimes hear stories of sad and lonely people conned out of their savings by an online lover who turns out not to be who they claimed to be. This is the story of a man who falls for the same scam by mail. He spends 14 years strung along by an imaginary girlfriend who takes him for all he’s got. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
  6. How Those Amusing Freak Moving Pictures Are Made
    The motion picture industry was still young, but already people were figuring out how to do special effects. This article reveals the secrets of some popular effects films.
  7. No Immortality Of The Soul, Says Thomas A Edison
    This article kicked off several weeks of back and forth articles on the existence of an afterlife. First, Edison reflects on a friend’s death and mentions that he believes there is no soul. The next week, people wrote in to either agree or disagree. Several more articles were published, with scientists and laymen declaring the soul’s existence or non-existence.
  8. First Account Of The Conquering Of Mt. McKinley
    The early 20th Century was full of exploration firsts. Both poles were reached within a few years of each other, and airplanes were allowing people to venture further and faster than ever before. But I think this exploration achievement is far more interesting than the others because it was achieved by a group of laypeople who had no climbing experience. Or was it? There were so many lies and false claims of summiting Mt. McKinley already made, that there was reason to be suspicious.
  9. Night In A Fascinating Square That Never Sleeps
    This is a very well written description of a full night spent in Times Square. It describes the people, the sounds, the sights, etc. If you’ve ever been in Times Square during the week hours of the night, you’ll recognize the feeling. It’s easy to read this and relate to the author.
  10. Charles K. Hamilton Tells How To Run An Aeroplane
    In the seven years since the Wright Brothers made their first flight, airplanes became a popular hobby for the wealthy and adventurous. Most weeks, the Magazine had at least one article about airplanes. Someone was always doing something new: either flying an airplane further, faster, or somewhere they’ve never gone before. So I chose this article to represent all the others. It’s a very readable description of exactly how to fly an airplane, complete with illustrations.

I just realized I accidentally ended up with 11 articles on my list. So this one’s a bonus:
  11. A Proposed Plan For An Invariable Calendar
    Maybe it’s not that big a deal that every year has a different calendar. January 1 falls on a different day of the week each year, and we’ve still managed to get by. But I can’t help imagine what it would be like if this plan had actually been adopted. What if every year, every date was always the same day of the week? Would life be any easier, or would it just be different in this minor way? At any rate, I thought this proposed calendar was kind of clever.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Sunday: Top Ten NY Times Sunday Magazine Articles from 1

Post by neufer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:16 pm

bystander wrote:Image
The Top Ten NY Times Sunday Magazine Articles from 1910 | 13 Dec 2010
It’s that time of year when publications come up with their annual top ten roundups, so I figure I should contribute to the genre. Here, then, is my list of Top Ten New York Times Sunday Magazine Articles From 1910 (Not Including Articles Prior To March 20 Because I Didn’t Start This Blog Until Then).

It was very difficult to pick just ten out of the 179 articles I’ve posted since I started this blog. I tried to pick some that are funny, some that are historically important, and some that are just plain interesting. They are presented in no particular order.
  1. Circus Clown A Serious Person Out Of The Ring
    I love this interview with Slivers the Clown in which he laments that clowns just get no respect. It inspired me to look up whatever happened to Slivers, and that’s when I found out about his dark downward spiral. If you’re intrigued by a story of love, death, and circus clowns, give this one a read.
  2. Rathbone Ends Long List Of Lincoln Party Tragedies
    It never occurred to me that there were other people in the booth with the Lincolns when Abe was shot, so I was fascinated to read about the other couple that was there with them. Imagine how scarred they must have been by the experience. There you are, the guests of the President and First Lady, when all of a sudden the President is shot in the head as he sits right there next to you. This article tells what happened to that other couple, and everyone else who stepped foot in the booth that night. Without giving too much away, let me just say that their darkest days were yet to come.
http://www.kansasphototour.com/corbett.htm wrote: .
<<Tom (Boston) Corbett had been a sharp-shooter during the Civil War,
and after the assassination of Lincoln, he volunteered to join a
detachment of soldiers searching for Booth who was soon tracked to a
barn in Virginia. When the old barn had been surrounded, Booth
refused to surrender. Though under orders not to fire, Corbett dropped
Booth with one shot, through a crack in the barn--an amazing shot--
with the bullet taking nearly the same path in Booth's head as the one
he'd discharged into Lincoln's a few days before. Though Corbett
always maintained that he'd seen Booth raise his pistol after being
ordered to surrender and was taking aim at their commander, he was
charged with disobeying orders. Corbett was discharged from the army
shortly thereafter. He became bitter that he hadn't received the
recognition he felt he deserved, and eventually moved to Cloud County,
near Concordia, Kansas, where he constructed a dugout in the area
now marked by a simple monument constructed by Boy Scouts.>>
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Tom Corbett, Space Cadet

Space Academy, USA, in the world
beyond tomorrow. Here the Space
Cadets train for duty on distant planets.
In roaring rockets, they blast through
the millions of miles from Earth to
far-flung stars and brave the dangers of
cosmic frontiers protecting the liberties
of the planets, safeguarding the cause of
universal peace in the age of the
conquest of space!

Space Cadet Pledge

I solemnly swear
To safeguard the freedom of space,
Protect the liberty of the planets,
And defend the cause of peace
Throughout the uniVERsE!
http://www.slick-net.com/space/text/index.phtml wrote:
<<For teenage viewers, the most attractive feature of [Tom Corbett Space Cadet] was that the main characters were teenagers themselves, who attended a neat, futuristic, all-male high school. Who wouldn't mind hitting the books to get ready for finals, knowing that when finals were over, the rocket cruiser Polaris would be waiting on the spaceport, apparently just a few feet beyond the classroom exit, for a glorious jaunt through the solar system? Just like our own high school classes, Tom Corbett's had an overachiever (bystander), a troublemaker (Neufer), an underachiever (owlice) and a brain (Chris).>>
Opening Theme "Light of Foot" by Carl Latann
(aka SPACE CADET MARCH, aka SPACE ACADEMY MARCH).

From the rocket fields of the academy
To the far-flung stars of outer space,
We are Space Cadets training to be
Ready for dangers we may face.
Up in the sky, whistling past,
Higher than high, faster than fast,
Out into space, into the sun
Look at her go when we give her the gun
We are the Space Cadets and we are proud to say
Our fight for right will nEVER cease.
Like a cosmic ray, we light the way
To interplanet peace!
http://members.aol.com/RVSNorton/Lincoln32.html wrote: Tom (Boston) Corbett: The Man Who Killed John Wilkes Booth
<<Thomas P. ("Boston") Corbett was born in London, England, in 1832. His family came to New York in 1839. Corbett eventually became a hatter in Troy. He married but his wife died in childbirth. Later he moved to Boston and continued working as a hatter there. (Some have speculated that the use of mercury in the hatters' trade was a factor in Corbett's later mental problems). He became a reborn evangelical Christian while in Boston from which he took a new name. Reform became his purpose in life. Trying to imitate Jesus, he wore his hair very long. Acquaintances considered Corbett to be "different."
One vivid example of Corbett's eccentricity took place on July 16, 1858. In order to avoid the temptation of prostitutes, Corbett took a pair of scissors and castrated himself. He then went to a prayer meeting and ate a full dinner. He took a walk. However, he eventually had to see a doctor. He ended up at the Massachusetts General Hospital and was treated by Dr. R.N. Hodges. The actual hospital record of Corbett's self-castration and treatment still exists.
Corbett eagerly joined the Union army at the outbreak of the Civil War. He re-enlisted three times finally becoming a sergeant in the 16th New York Cavalry. On April 24, 1865, he was selected as one of the 26 cavalrymen from New York's 16th to pursue John Wilkes Booth. On April 26 Corbett and the others cornered Booth in a tobacco barn on the Virginia farm of Richard Garrett.

The barn was set on fire, and David Herold gave up. Booth remained inside. As Booth moved about inside the burning barn, Corbett shot him with a Colt revolver from a distance of a few yards. He did this through a large crack in the barn. Corbett, a religious fanatic, explained his actions by saying, "God Almighty directed me." Booth's body was dragged from the barn, and he died a few hours later. His spinal cord had been punctured by Corbett's bullet. Corbett was placed under technical arrest, but the charges were dropped by Secretary of War Stanton. Stanton said, "The rebel is dead. The patriot lives." Corbett received his share of the reward money which amounted to $1,653.85.

Afterwards Corbett returned to being a hatter, first in Boston at SAMUEL MASON's shop and later in Connecticut and New Jersey. At a soldiers' reunion in Caldwell, Ohio, in 1875, he flashed his revolver in the faces of several men who had alleged Booth was not really killed by Corbett. In 1878 he moved to Concordia, Kansas. There Corbett lived in a dugout a few miles outside town. His home was nothing more than a hole in a steep hill with a brown stone front and a roof made of brush, clay, and clapboards. (Corbett's dugout is located southeast of Concordia.

Corbett slept on a homemade bed and kept a variety of firearms. He purchased a flock of sheep. He won local respect for his ability to bring down crows and hawks. Once he appeared at a Sunday farmers' sporting event and declared, "It's wicked to play baseball on the Lord's day. Don't do it." Sometimes he gave religious lectures which often turned into wild incoherencies. In 1887 he was appointed assistant DOORKEEPER of the Kansas House of Representatives in Topeka. On Tuesday, February 15, 1887, overhearing a conversation in which the legislature's opening prayer was mocked, Corbett jumped to his feet, pulled out his revolver, and waved his gun (some sources say "opened fire") at the 'heretics.' No one was hurt. Corbett was arrested, declared insane, and sent to the Topeka Asylum for the Insane.

On May 26, 1888, Corbett jumped on a horse that had been left at the entrance to the asylum's grounds and escaped. He went to Neodesha, Kansas, and stayed briefly with Richard THATCHER, a man he had met during his imprisonment at Andersonville during the Civil War. He said he was heading for Mexico. Although a few stories exist, there is no absolute proof that Boston Corbett was ever heard from again.>>
Art Neuendorffer