APOD: Star Colors in Orion (2011 Feb 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Star Colors in Orion (2011 Feb 11)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:10 am

NoelC wrote:Do you think it should be impossible to see a green colored point light source the brightness of a star? One can clearly see reddish and bluish stars, even with the unaided eye. Did I read what you wrote wrongly?
I think you interpreted it wrongly. I said there are no green stars because "the physics of thermal emission sources and the physiology of the eye preclude them". The emphasis there should be on the "and". There is no possible blackbody curve that can produce a color our eye will perceive as green. A major reason for that is the physiology of our eye; there is a range of temperatures that will produce a blackbody curve with a peak in the part of the spectrum we perceive as green. A differently designed eye might see this color as green, but ours do not. Thus, there are no green stars.

Of course, when I said you could see green twinkling in Sirius, that doesn't change the previous statement. In that case, the light of the star is being modified by our atmosphere. It doesn't mean that Sirius can be considered a green star, or a green star sometimes, any more than looking at the Sun through green glass makes it a green star.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com