Neutron Star Gobbles Gas, Burps X-rays

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
Ann
4725 Å

Neutron Star Gobbles Gas, Burps X-rays

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 am

A neutron star orbiting a massive B0 star is intermittently fed blobs of gas from its massive companion. When a helping of gas hits the neutron star, the degenerate star responds by brightening 10,000-fold. Or at least it did on March 15, 2010, or at least that is when news of the event reached the Earth and the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton telescope.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/communit ... 94154.html
http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1106/30neutron/

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Neutron Star Gobbles Gas, Burps X-rays

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Ann wrote:
  • Neutron Star Gobbles Gas, Burps X-rays
A neutron star orbiting a massive BO star is intermittently fed blobs of gas from its massive companion.
When a helping of gas hits the neutron star, the degenerate star responds by brightening 10,000-fold.
  • :roll: :facepalm:
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:07 pm

neufer wrote:
Ann wrote:
A neutron star orbiting a massive BO star is intermittently fed blobs of gas from its massive companion.
When a helping of gas hits the neutron star, the degenerate star responds by brightening 10,000-fold.
Hmm, did I get that wrong? The neutron star is orbiting the massive B0 star - check. The neutron star, which is orbiting a massive B0 star, is intermittently fed blobs of gas - check.The gas hits the neutron star - check. The neutron star is a degenerate star - check? Or not? The neutron star, which is a degenerate star - check? - responds by brightening 10,000-fold.

Where did I go wrong?

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Ann wrote:
neufer wrote:
Ann wrote:
Hmm, did I get that wrong? The neutron star is orbiting the massive B0 star - check. The neutron star, which is orbiting a massive B0 star, is intermittently fed blobs of gas - check.The gas hits the neutron star - check. The neutron star is a degenerate star - check? Or not? The neutron star, which is a degenerate star - check? - responds by brightening 10,000-fold.

Where did I go wrong?

Ann
blobs of gas from a massive BO star (and is 'burps' a euphemism?)
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Still don't get it. :? :?:

Aren't B0 stars massive?

Jim Kaler writes about B0V star Tau Scorpii, also called Al Niyat:
Al Niyat's luminosity and temperature show it to have a mass of a dozen times that of the Sun and to be near the lower end of stars whose fates are to explode as supernovae.
Isn't that fairly massive? And Tau Scorpii is a main sequence star of luminosity class V.

Jim Kaler writes about Gamma Cas, a B0 star of luminosity class IV:
With a mass of around 15 times that of the Sun, the star will most likely someday explode as a supernova.
Isn't that fairly massive?

JIm Kaler says that famous star Mintaka of Orion's Belt has a main component of spectral class B0III. Kaler writes about this star and its O-type companion:
The bright star we call Mintaka (whose solo magnitude is 2.23) is ALSO double, and consists of a hot (30,000 Kelvin) class B, slightly evolved, giant star and a somewhat hotter class O star, each radiating near 90,000 times the solar luminosity (after correction for a bit of interstellar dust absorption), each having masses somewhat over 20 times the solar mass.
Isn't that fairly massive?

So I guess I still don't get it. But then, I sure am dense sometimes.

Ann

EDIT: Oh!! Click on the underlined B0, and you get B0 = Body Odor. So, the star burps body odor. OK. I get it.
Imagine a star doing this. Okay. And this star burps blobs of bad odor on the neutron star, which has a real fit in response. Oh.
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Yup, the BO belches gas at the neutron star and the neutron star burps out xrays. Sounds good to me. :)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.