TR: Astronomers Discover New Standard Candle

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

TR: Astronomers Discover New Standard Candle

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Astronomers Discover New Standard Candle
Technology Review | The Physics arXiv Blog | kfc | 2011 Sept 26
A way to measure the distance of active galactic nuclei could change the way astronomers think about the Universe and how it is expanding.

One of the trickiest problems in astronomy is the measure of distance.

In theory, distance should be simple to work out. If you know the intrinsic brightness of an object, a simple measure of its apparent brightness will tell you how far away it is (since brightness falls as an inverse square of its distance).

So in astronomy, the problem of distance is intimately linked to the problem of knowing an object's intrinsic brightness.

But that's hard. There's simply no way to tell the intrinsic brightness of most stars and galaxies and so no way to work out their distance.

Astronomers have found a couple of exceptions, however. One is the Cepheid variable, a star whose brightness is linked to the rate at which its luminosity pulses. So if you know the pulsation period, you can work out the intrinsic brightness.

Another is type 1a supernova, which all explode with about the same mass and so have the same intrinsic brightness.

These so-called standard candles are the rulers that astronomers use to measure out distance in the universe. As such, they are extremely valuable.

Today, Darach Watson at the Dark Cosmology Centre at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark and a few pals, say they've come up with an entirely new kind of standard candle that measures the distance to active galactic nuclei.

Active galactic nuclei are galaxies with a central supermassive black hole that emits intense radiation. When this radiation hits nearby gas clouds, it ionises them causing them to emit a characteristic light of their own.

In recent years, astronomers have found that they can see both the emissions from the supermassive black hole as well as the emissions from the gas clouds. These are obviously related but the time it takes for radiation to reach the cloud means that changes here lag those in the supermassive black hole.

This delay, which can be measured with a technique called reverberation mapping, is then clear measure of the radius of the cloud.

But since the flux of the radiation from the black hole drops as an inverse square law, the brightness of these clouds also depends on their radius.

So a good measure of their radius also gives an indication of their intrinsic brightness.

Now Watson and co have used this technique to measure the distance to 38 active galactic nuclei at distances of up to z=4. That's significantly further than is possible with type 1a supernova, whose distance cannot be accurately measured beyond z=1.7.

To say that this is interesting is putting it mildly. When Cepheid variables were identified as standard candles in the early part of the 20th century , Edwin Hubble used them to show that the Universe was expanding.

When type 1a supernovas were identified as standard candles in the early 1990s, astronomers used them to discover that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating.

So what of the prospects for this new method? Active galactic nuclei are among the brightest objects in the universe. Astronomers can see them at distances of up to about z=7, which corresponds to just 750 million years after the Big Bang.

An accurate way to determine their distance is sure to have profound implications.

A new cosmological distance measure using AGN - D. Watson, K. D. Denney, M. Vestergaard, T. M. Davis
AGNs As A New Standard Candle?
Universe Today | Tammy Plotner | 2011 Sept 26

Astronomers discover new way to measure Universe
University of Copenhagen | Niels Bohr Institute | 2011 Sept 27
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Re: TR: Astronomers Discover New Standard Candle

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:31 am

Score another one for Danish astronomy!

Tycho Brahe was a Dane, Ole Rømer, who measured the speed of light, was a Dane, and Niels Bohr was a Dane. I'm sure there have been other great Danish astronomers whose names I can't remember.

I'm very interested in dark energy and the acceleration of the universe, so I'm really excited about this new Danish discovery!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 am

Ann, you in a hurry to get there :?:
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:17 am

Well, embarrassingly enough, Beyond...

I am a claustrophobiac. I have sometimes wondered if that is why I became an astronomy nerd. I know when I became a "space fan": it was when I read in a book, back in 1969, that all stars are suns. Then something clicked in my brain: If all stars are suns, then how far away must they be to look as faint as they do? And then how big is the universe? WOW!!!!

Similarly, perhaps the worst thing I ever read was that the universe may be "closed", in which case it would fall back on itself and crush everything inside it in a "Big Crunch". :shock: Do you remember the scene from the first Star Wars movie, where Luke, Leia and Han Solo are locked inside a room (possibly a garbage disposal room) and the walls are closing in on them and threatening to crush them? It doesn't get much scarier than that, if you ask me!

So I was so incredibly relieved, so totally and utterly relieved, when two groups of astronomers reported in 1999 (or was it 1997?) that their studies of distant supernovae indicated that the universe is actually accelerating! PHEEW!!! If it is accelerating, it can't be on its way to collapsing! (I was so disappointed when a number of astronomers speculated that the universe may be on its way to collapsing after all, and now we just have to figure out how it will be able to do that... :evil: )

I guess I have to accept that the universe may in fact be on its way to collapsing. After all, we don't know what makes it accelerate in the first place. Maybe it just appears to be accelerating? Maybe it's all a kind of cosmic trick with mirrors? Since we don't know what causes the acceleration, we don't know if this force, whatever it is, isn't really making the universe halt in its tracks instead.

But I'm very, very interested in knowing more about this, so I welcome any research in this area!

Ann
P.S. Oh, and... I just discovered that bystander is... :arrow:

P.P.S. Ah gaaah. Now he is a Rocking Retiree. You'll have to find your own illustration of that, bystander.
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 am

Ann, you're claustrophobiac?? You're in the middle of a vast universe that you can't see the end of in any direction. How could you be claustrophobiac??

Even though bystander changed to Rockin' Retiree, i think he still has a little 'Pathetic' left, as evidenced by the cane, as he's doing a "foot" version of the high-5's. :mrgreen:
42-19753308.jpg
42-19753308.jpg (6.33 KiB) Viewed 501 times
As to what the universe is doing... If we are little examples of the Bigness, don't we grow up Fast, and then level off and stablize at our full design size?
And then... well, we won't get into that!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 am

I love your picture of bystander, Beyond! :D

(Although now bystander is a Most Apathetic Retiree. He wasn't Rocking for long. Must be confusing to have so many identities... Clark Kent has nothing on bystander!)

Beyond, you wrote:
Ann, you're claustrophobiac?? You're in the middle of a vast universe that you can't see the end of in any direction. How could you be claustrophobiac??
I'm not a claustrophobiac because I live in a big universe, I love the big universe because I'm a claustrophobiac! :mrgreen:

I love it big! Make it bigger! Bigger! Yeah!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:15 am

That's what i meant. How could you be a claustrophobiac in such a Big Space.
Ha-ha, all that energy expended doing the high fives with the feet must have tuckered him out :!: Guess his standard candle isn't quite up to par.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm

NGC 7606. Photo: Adam Block.
Well, right now and for the moment, until he starts changing personalities again, he's got 7606 posts. That makes him a handsome, if possibly half retired, galaxy.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:53 am

Beyond, you wrote:
That's what i meant. How could you be a claustrophobiac in such a Big Space.
I guess that when I'm stuck in one of these modern steel-cage elevators, with no windows, no door handles and no means of opening the doors at all (and probably no reliable way to communicate with the outside world if I have forgotten my cell phone, which is frequently the case with me), then it doesn't help to think of the expansion of the universe. But when I get out (if I haven't had a breakdown first and need to be transported to a psychiatric clinic), then it's so good to remember that the universe, at least, hasn't trapped me in a cramped space and isn't closing in on me! :D

Give me a skyscraper window-cleaning job as long as I don't have to be a miner!

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 am

That's right! The universe is expanding and getting BIGGER!! It's a good thing you don't have anything about -open spaces-,(can't think of the word to describe it) or you'd really be in trouble. :mrgreen: