APOD: As Above, So Below (2011 Dec 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: As Above, So Below (2011 Dec 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:07 am

Image As Above, So Below

Explanation: A single, long exposure captured these star trails above a remarkably colorful sea of clouds. As seen from Medvednica mountain, the surrounding peaks and lights illuminating the clouds from below are north of Zagreb, Croatia. Near the center of the also colorful star trail arcs, the North Celestial Pole is off the upper right edge of the frame. Even though this is the age of the digital camera, the well composed skyscape was recorded using color slide film in a medium format camera. The dreamlike scene's starry sky and ephemeral ocean could be reminiscent of an older age still, when the Pannonian Sea covered this part of central Europe some 10 million years ago.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: APOD: As Above, So Below (2011 Dec 03)

Post by Beyond » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:57 am

NICE picture! But for some reason, i feel cold looking at it. BRRR....
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:20 pm

I liked the picture; I think I would like it better without the star trails.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

moonstruck
Science Officer

Post by moonstruck » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Very nice. Thanks, Boris.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I liked the picture, too, and I liked the title. There have been a few excellent videos (or vimeos) posted here at APOD which have shown clouds moving over the Earth like water. And no surprise there, since clouds on the Earth are water.

Today's APOD shows a suspended "ocean" over the Earth, and colorful lights above and below it. The star trails are okay with me, since they bring home the fact that something is moving here. Or as Galileo Galilei supposedly said, "And yet it moves".

Ann
Color Commentator

spudcon2@yahoo.com

Post by spudcon2@yahoo.com » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:58 pm

This isn't a single exposure picture. Several stars or planets near the horizon have no star trails.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:20 pm

spudcon2@yahoo.com wrote:This isn't a single exposure picture. Several stars or planets near the horizon have no star trails.
I don't see any. All I see near the horizon that is untrailed are lights on the ground. There's nothing at all to suggest this image isn't just what it is presented as- a single exposure on film.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Yeesh, how could the mountains be invisible to spud? Bad vision? Looking at the picture from a laptop in the midday sun?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:01 pm

geckzilla wrote:Yeesh, how could the mountains be invisible to spud? Bad vision? Looking at the picture from a laptop in the midday sun?
Well, hold on a sec. Let me play devil's advocate here (that's rare I do this!) and say that one of those lights could conceivably be the start of a star trail that became blocked by a mountain. Fortuitous for sure, and judging by the sky conditions would have to be pretty bright. Well, I accurately identified the star field which is Cygnus on the left (Deneb is the bright star), and Draco on the right (the head of the dragon is just visible). Alas, there are no suitably bright stars or planets that can generate a snubbed star trail simulating a ground light.

So much for being the advocate :)
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:24 pm

alter-ego wrote:
geckzilla wrote:Yeesh, how could the mountains be invisible to spud? Bad vision? Looking at the picture from a laptop in the midday sun?
Well, hold on a sec. Let me play devil's advocate here (that's rare I do this!) and say that one of those lights could conceivably be the start of a star trail that became blocked by a mountain. Fortuitous for sure, and judging by the sky conditions would have to be pretty bright. Well, I accurately identified the star field which is Cygnus on the left (Deneb is the bright star), and Draco on the right (the head of the dragon is just visible). Alas, there are no suitably bright stars or planets that can generate a snubbed star trail simulating a ground light.

But even if one were a star, captured for a much shorter time because it had been blocked, that wouldn't support the suggestion that this isn't a single long exposure.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
alter-ego wrote:

But even if one were a star, captured for a much shorter time because it had been blocked, that wouldn't support the suggestion that this isn't a single long exposure.
That's certainly true, no question. I became intriqued with the certainty that all the lights were ground lights. I had already dismissed the single-exposure question.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

hooptydoo

Post by hooptydoo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Cooooool! Like lasagna - layer upon layer but sugary!

saturn2

Post by saturn2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:26 am

Very interesting image

sea otter

Post by sea otter » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 pm

The star trails of a prolonged exposure remind me that 'the only constant is change'.