UWash: Early Earth's Haze May Give Clue to Habitability Elsewhere

Find out the latest thinking about our universe.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

UWash: Early Earth's Haze May Give Clue to Habitability Elsewhere

Post by bystander » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:27 pm

‘Pale Orange Dot’: Early Earth's Haze May Give Clue to Habitability Elsewhere in Space
University of Washington, Seattle | 2015 Nov 11
[img3="An image of Saturn’s haze-shrouded moon Titan taken by the Cassini spacecraft. The UW-based Virtual Planetary Laboratory studied records of the haze on early Earth to see how such atmospheric conditions might affect an exoplanet, or one beyond our solar system. They found that such a haze might show the world is habitable, or that life itself is present. (Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute)"]http://www.washington.edu/news/files/20 ... 20x370.jpg[/img3][hr][/hr]
An atmospheric haze around a faraway planet — like the one which probably shrouded and cooled the young Earth — could show that the world is potentially habitable, or even be a sign of life itself.

Astronomers often use the Earth as a proxy for hypothetical exoplanets in computer modeling to simulate what such worlds might be like and under what circumstances they might be hospitable to life.

In new research from the University of Washington-based Virtual Planetary Laboratory, UW doctoral student Giada Arney and co-authors chose to study Earth in its Archean era, about 2 ½ billion years back, because it is, as Arney said, “the most alien planet we have geochemical data for.”

The work builds on geological data from other researchers that suggests the early Earth was intermittently shrouded by an organic pale orange haze that came from light breaking down methane molecules in the atmosphere into more complex hydrocarbons, organic compounds of hydrogen and carbon. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: UWash: Early Earth's Haze May Give Clue to Habitability Elsewhere

Post by neufer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:23 pm

LISA: I can't believe that extra-thick layer of pollution that I've picketed against is what burned up the comet.!
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:46 pm

neufer wrote:.
LISA: I can't believe that extra-thick layer of pollution that I've picketed against is what burned up the comet.!
Every extra-thick layer of pollution has a silver lining (or layer), particularly good at burning up comets.

Ann
Color Commentator

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:24 am

Who is LISA?
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:54 am

Beyond wrote:Who is LISA?
It could be the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna Project (LISA) too, designed to detect gravity waves. But I think not.

Ann
Color Commentator