Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
Chris Peterson (temp)

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Chris Peterson (temp) » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 am I've been having a lot of problems with Starship Asterisk* lately. I can't open the page at all, or I can't post anything, or I can't edit my posts.

Ann
I'm posting as a guest, because I can't log on at all. From the login page, after I submit, it just hangs on a TLS handshake and eventually times out. My email links to current posts do the same thing. I can directly access the forum topics, however. Same problem with Firefox or Chrome- the browser won't establish a secure connection. Cleared all the Asterisk cookies, cleared the cache. No help.

-Chris

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Chris Peterson (temp) wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm
Ann wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 am I've been having a lot of problems with Starship Asterisk* lately. I can't open the page at all, or I can't post anything, or I can't edit my posts.

Ann
I'm posting as a guest, because I can't log on at all. From the login page, after I submit, it just hangs on a TLS handshake and eventually times out. My email links to current posts do the same thing. I can directly access the forum topics, however. Same problem with Firefox or Chrome- the browser won't establish a secure connection. Cleared all the Asterisk cookies, cleared the cache. No help.

-Chris
Now I'm logged in. The problem seems related to the configuration of HTTPS on the site. My bookmark to Asterisk has the link as HTTP. If I use that, I'm shown as not logged in, and can't log in. Once I changed to HTTPS, things seem to be working. That means something is misconfigured on the server. If it requires HTTPS, it should do that on its own, regardless of the protocol specified at the browser end.

EDIT/UPDATE: however, anything I post, including this, takes me to a server error page that says a secure connection couldn't be established. But once I go back to Asterisk, my post has been accepted.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Yeah, I just turned off secure cookies. THAT didn't work. I actually got stuck unable to get logged in and had to modify the database directly to switch the option back off again.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:00 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
geckzilla wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 pm
Yeah, I just turned off secure cookies.

THAT didn't work.

I actually got stuck unable to get logged in and had to modify the database directly to switch the option back off again.
Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 pm

And to confuse the issue further... for the past two days I have not been logged out. Everything seems to be working as expected. (I see the https in the address bar at all times.)

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 am

And this morning, for no reason I can discern, I found I was logged out on the Board Index page, which has never happened before. This is after a few days of not being logged out unexpectedly.

Obviously my Mac has been infected with aliens.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 02, 2018 1:39 pm

rstevenson wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 am And this morning, for no reason I can discern, I found I was logged out on the Board Index page, which has never happened before. This is after a few days of not being logged out unexpectedly.
Since the previous experiment involved a change in how cookies were delivered, I'd recommend clearing both your cookies and your cache.
Obviously my Mac has been infected with aliens.
Macs are aliens.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Out of curiosity, are you taking your computer to other places where you would be assigned a different IP and then browsing Asterisk? Sessions are validated by the first three segments of an IP, currently. If any of those numbers change, a logout might occur.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm

geckzilla wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm Out of curiosity, are you taking your computer to other places where you would be assigned a different IP and then browsing Asterisk? Sessions are validated by the first three segments of an IP, currently. If any of those numbers change, a logout might occur.
Might. I use a VPN, and my IP and even country of connection changes all the time, but I don't get logged out of Asterisk. Something more must be going on to keep me attached.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed May 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm
geckzilla wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:14 pm Out of curiosity, are you taking your computer to other places where you would be assigned a different IP and then browsing Asterisk? Sessions are validated by the first three segments of an IP, currently. If any of those numbers change, a logout might occur.
Might. I use a VPN, and my IP and even country of connection changes all the time, but I don't get logged out of Asterisk. Something more must be going on to keep me attached.
Yeah, I've used a laptop from home and then gone to a hotel and had the same login going. I'm really unsure what's going on with Rob's computer.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 pm

I almost always view the Asterisk from my home iMac, which doesn't even move from room to room. So it's not an IP issue -- unless my WIFI modem is disconnecting and reconnecting to the 'net according to its own needs.

This morning, more than 48 hours after the last de-log episode, I find I am suitably logged in, as always used to be the case. This means my browser is doing what it should by remembering the Asterisk and making sure I'm correctly connected to it. (I say that because I just did a restart for an unrelated issue.)

If this continues I'll try removing cookies and clearing the cache manually from here, rather than using your link to clear the Asterisk cookie. Perhaps my browser doesn't cooperate with that way of doing things.

Rob

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Sat May 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Logged out again this morning. :-0

So I tried going into Safari Prefs > Privacy > manage sites and deleting the cookie there, but I didn't find an asterisk cookie at all. I found an apod one and deleted that, then came back here and logged in again. Onward and upward, I hope.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I think there are tracking cookies for apod.nasa.gov, so if you deleted those then it definitely won't help, but of course won't hurt either. Since asterisk is at apod.com, if you deleted the apod.com ones, that might help. The only other thing I can think of that you could do is to temporarily use a different browser and see if it logs you out too. There might be some setting somewhere in Safari causing all cookies/sessions to be automatically dumped after 48 hours or something.

rstevenson

Post by rstevenson » Mon May 07, 2018 7:07 pm

When I went back to Firefox and loaded the Asterisk, I was immediately logged in and have stayed that way for the past couple of days. I stopped using FF some months ago due to stability problems, but it has been updated and seems to be fine, so I'll likely stick with it. It was my preferred browser for years and I don't mind reverting to it. Strangely, Safari is essentially stock other than an ad/pop-up blocker, while FF is loaded with a variety of add-ons I'd needed over the years, so it's hard to see why Safari is the one with the problem. But nanny Apple does make some peculiar decisions sometimes, and doesn't necessarily tell their users about them, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Rob

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Good luck. I went searching for Safari-specific fixes, and only found things like deleting all passwords, all website data, manually deleting cache files, etc. Couldn't find a simple switch to flip.

kenkahn
Asternaut

Post by kenkahn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:59 am

Starting around 8/1/2018 whenever APOD tries to load a new background image it fails with

Background not updated because the APOD image is not a supported image type (jpg,gif,png). The image url is
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1807/So ... s_2310.jpg

I can set the background image directly from the web page. I'm fairly sure I didn't do anything on my end to change any display setting that would result in this. This is running APOD from Windows 10 system on a Lenovo laptop.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 pm

The Astrobites website is down. They must be working on fixing an issue, since earlier each time I would try opening up an article there I would get a warning message about the website not being secure.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:53 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 pm The Astrobites website is down. They must be working on fixing an issue, since earlier each time I would try opening up an article there I would get a warning message about the website not being secure.

Bruce
The site isn't down, but their security certificate is expired. It is safe to override the warning if you wish to do so.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Dougthedog
Asternaut

Post by Dougthedog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:12 am

keep getting the following message "Could not update image from APOD site"

agulesin
Ensign

Post by agulesin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,

Not sure if it's just me but I have problems using the Next and Back arrows when I'm viewing APOD on my mobile phone - the > and < symbols are just too small for my fat fingers...

Would it be possible to add the words NEXT & BACK so that it's easier to select them?
Screenshot
Screenshot
Thanks to all involved for keeping us fed with wonderful images!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 am

agulesin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm Hi everyone,

Not sure if it's just me but I have problems using the Next and Back arrows when I'm viewing APOD on my mobile phone - the > and < symbols are just too small for my fat fingers...

Would it be possible to add the words NEXT & BACK so that it's easier to select them?

tmp-cam-966800270334374941.jpg

Thanks to all involved for keeping us fed with wonderful images!
That change would help me too, good suggestion.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Discuss APOD

Post by bystander » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:20 pm

The "Discuss" link @ apod.nasa.gov seems to be broke

http://asterisk.apod.com/discuss_apod.php?date=190330

The APOD from March 30th, 2019 probably isn't ready yet or you may have gotten a bad link from the APOD page, which is likely not your fault.

You might try clicking this link for today's APOD. Otherwise, head over to The Asterisk to look for the others.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Discuss APOD

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 pm

bystander wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:20 pm The "Discuss" link @ apod.nasa.gov seems to be broke

http://asterisk.apod.com/discuss_apod.php?date=190330

The APOD from March 30th, 2019 probably isn't ready yet or you may have gotten a bad link from the APOD page, which is likely not your fault.

You might try clicking this link for today's APOD. Otherwise, head over to The Asterisk to look for the others.
Otto is clearly asleep on the job.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Otto got confused by being switched to php 7.1 yesterday