APOD: Reflections of Venus and Moon (2018 May 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Reflections of Venus and Moon (2018 May 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 am

Image Reflections of Venus and Moon

Explanation: Posing near the western horizon, a brilliant evening star and slender young crescent shared reflections in a calm sea last Thursday after sunset. Recorded in this snapshot from the Atlantic beach at Santa Marinella near Rome, Italy, the lovely celestial conjunction of the two brightest beacons in the night sky could be enjoyed around the world. Seaside, light reflected by briefly horizontal surfaces of the gentle waves forms the shimmering columns across the water. Similar reflections by fluttering atmospheric ice crystals can create sometimes mysterious pillars of light. Of course, earthlight itself visibly illuminates the faint lunar night side.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

xmetman

Re: APOD: Reflections of Venus and Moon (2018 May 19)

Post by xmetman » Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 am

Shouldn't that be a Mediterranean beach rather than Atlantic?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat May 19, 2018 7:24 am

It's interesting that the reflection of the Moon is distinctly yellow, while the reflection of Venus looks white. Presumably, the surface of the Moon is more reddish the the cloud tops of Venus.

That's interesting, though. The cloud tops of Saturn are yellowish, and Saturn also looks distinctly yellow in the night sky. Fascinatingly, Jupiter normally doesn't look particularly yellow to me, although it does look "warm white". But its banded cloud tops are alternatively white and reddish.

Interesting! Why are the cloud tops of Venus, Jupiter and Saturn distinctly different in color?

Ann
Color Commentator

Joemc001

Post by Joemc001 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 am

Technically it should be the Tyrrhenian Sea. But Mediterranean would have been a lot better than the Atlantic. Surprised by the error on APOD. Never seen a big miss like this before.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat May 19, 2018 8:21 am

Gee... I could have traveled to a far away land to see that... STUPID ME... I just took one here at the Mobile Home Park....Moon looks a bit chopped because there is a tree right there, and it was covering a bit...

Nice view though...good pic...
:---[===] *
Attachments
SAM_1221.JPG

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 am

"Seaside, light reflected by briefly horizontal surfaces of the gentle waves forms the shimmering columns across the water. Similar reflections by fluttering atmospheric ice crystals can create sometimes mysterious pillars of light."

What is the name of the author? I ask because I bet that that writer has probably published a couple of books of poetry.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat May 19, 2018 12:21 pm

I just had to use this APOD as future wallpaper! Just trimmed it to fit my screen! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 pm

https://www.universetoday.com/139251/nasa-cubesat-takes-a-picture-of-the-earth-and-moon/ wrote:

:arrow: The first image captured by one of NASA's Mars Cube One (MarCO) CubeSats. The image, which shows both the CubeSat's unfolded high-gain antenna at right and the Earth and its moon in the center, was acquired by MarCO-B on May 9. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm

xmetman wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 am Shouldn't that be a Mediterranean beach rather than Atlantic?
Joemc001 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 am Technically it should be the Tyrrhenian Sea. But Mediterranean would have been a lot better than the Atlantic. Surprised by the error on APOD. Never seen a big miss like this before.
Is the Mediterranean not part of the Atlantic?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:25 pm
xmetman wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 am Shouldn't that be a Mediterranean beach rather than Atlantic?
Joemc001 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:26 am Technically it should be the Tyrrhenian Sea. But Mediterranean would have been a lot better than the Atlantic. Surprised by the error on APOD. Never seen a big miss like this before.
There's no right or wrong answer to that. Some people treat it as an arm of the Atlantic, some don't. It's not like there's some standards body that defines these things.

(I believe there is just one public beach in Santa Marinella, and I don't think this image could have been made from there. That made me wonder if there was some other point farther around the town on the west side of the peninsula that people identify as "Atlantic". No idea if this is the case; I don't know through what channel this image was submitted or where the location information came from.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

The waves must be weaker or null so that the reflection of the lunar light extends from the beginning of the water mirror to the observer clearly, which is what many photographers, poets and I personally call the "path of light" that in a large percentage, when we are bucolic and contemplative in relaxation, it gives rise to waves of subtle emotions that allow us to play with memories. And if someone unexpectedly asks for the thoughts we can begin to say "... there was once, far in time ..."

Wha

Post by Wha » Sat May 19, 2018 10:40 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 pm
There's no right or wrong answer to that. Some people treat it as an arm of the Atlantic, some don't. It's not like there's some standards body that defines these things.
First time I've ever heard anything east of Gibraltar referred to as Atlantic.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun May 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Whatever oceanographers may think, expressed clearly within their discipline, most people would see the Med as a separate body of water, connected through a narrow channel to a larger body of water. I don't understand the intention of the author of this APOD description. Perhaps they can chime in to tell us why they put it that way.

Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean wrote: <<The International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) defined the limits of the oceans and seas in 1953, but some of these definitions have been revised since then and some are not used by various authorities, institutions, and countries, see for example the CIA World Factbook. Correspondingly, the extent and number of oceans and seas varies.

The Atlantic Ocean is bounded on the west by North and South America. It connects to the Arctic Ocean through the Denmark Strait, Greenland Sea, Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea. To the east, the boundaries of the ocean proper are Europe: the Strait of Gibraltar (where it connects with the Mediterranean Sea–one of its marginal seas–and, in turn, the Black Sea, both of which also touch upon Asia) and Africa.

In the southeast, the Atlantic merges into the Indian Ocean. The 20° East meridian, running south from Cape Agulhas to Antarctica defines its border. In the 1953 definition it extends south to Antarctica, while in later maps it is bounded at the 60° parallel by the Southern Ocean.

The Atlantic has irregular coasts indented by numerous bays, gulfs, and seas. These include the Baltic Sea, Black Sea, Caribbean Sea, Davis Strait, Denmark Strait, part of the Drake Passage, Gulf of Mexico, Labrador Sea, Mediterranean Sea, North Sea, Norwegian Sea, almost all of the Scotia Sea, and other tributary water bodies. Including these marginal seas the coast line of the Atlantic measures 111,866 km compared to 135,663 km for the Pacific.

Including its marginal seas, the Atlantic covers an area of 106,460,000 km2 or 23.5% of the global ocean and has a volume of 310,410,900 km3 or 23.3% of the total volume of the earth's oceans. Excluding its marginal seas, the Atlantic covers 81,760,000 km2 and has a volume of 305,811,900 km3.>>
Art Neuendorffer