APOD: Mars Engulfed (2018 Jun 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mars Engulfed (2018 Jun 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:08 am

Image Mars Engulfed

Explanation: What's happened to Mars? In 2001, Mars underwent a tremendous planet-wide dust storm -- one of the largest ever recorded from Earth. To show the extent, these two Hubble Space Telescope storm watch images from late June and early September (2001) offer dramatically contrasting views of the martian surface. At left, the onset of smaller "seed" storms can be seen near the Hellas basin (lower right edge of Mars) and the northern polar cap. A similar surface view at right, taken over two months later, shows the fully developed extent of the obscuring global storm. Although this storm eventually waned, in recent days a new large dust storm has been taking hold of the red planet.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Mars Engulfed (2018 Jun 17)

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am

Wasn't it in 2001 that Mars was especially close to the Earth? And lots and lots of amateurs were looking forward to the opportunity of taking sharp images of the Martian surface features? And then everything was just blotted out by the planet-wide dust storm?

If this ringside view of a global Martian dust storm didn't take place in 2001, then it must have happened at one of those other times when Mars was especially close to the Earth. So let's hope that the current dust storm doesn't block the view of the surface of Mars for this year's observers!

Because it's true that Mars will be quite close and bright this summer and fall, isn't it?

Ann
Color Commentator

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 am

Ann wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 amBecause it's true that Mars will be quite close and bright this summer and fall, isn't it?
Mars will be at opposition on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 at 05:07 UTC.
mars-opposition.png

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:43 am

I hope it subsides by mid July... I hope to get some pics....

:---[===] *

hamilton1
Ensign

Post by hamilton1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am

Ann wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am Wasn't it in 2001 that Mars was especially close to the Earth? And lots and lots of amateurs were looking forward to the opportunity of taking sharp images of the Martian surface features? And then everything was just blotted out by the planet-wide dust storm?

If this ringside view of a global Martian dust storm didn't take place in 2001, then it must have happened at one of those other times when Mars was especially close to the Earth. So let's hope that the current dust storm doesn't block the view of the surface of Mars for this year's observers!

Because it's true that Mars will be quite close and bright this summer and fall, isn't it?

Ann
You're probably thinking of 2003, when Mars was at its closest for 60,000 years. No dust storm that year and plenty of spectacular images. This year is its closest approach since then.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:55 pm

hamilton1 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 am
Ann wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am
Wasn't it in 2001 that Mars was especially close to the Earth? And lots and lots of amateurs were looking forward to the opportunity of taking sharp images of the Martian surface features? And then everything was just blotted out by the planet-wide dust storm?
You're probably thinking of 2003, when Mars was at its closest for 60,000 years. No dust storm that year and plenty of spectacular images. This year is its closest approach since then.
Every ~16 years Earth has ~3 opportunities (over ~4.27 years) to pass by Mars when it is near perihelion; however, there is a good chance that one of those close passes will occur during a Martian dust storm.
  • Orbital period = 1.88082 yr
    Synodic period = 2.1354 yr
    Years between closest approaches ~ 15.7762 yr = 1/(1.88082-1-2.1354-1)
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am Wasn't it in 2001 that Mars was especially close to the Earth? And lots and lots of amateurs were looking forward to the opportunity of taking sharp images of the Martian surface features? And then everything was just blotted out by the planet-wide dust storm?

Ann
I remember that opposition. That was the year that Mars was as big in the sky as the Moon!

(Haven't seen that claim this year... maybe it's a meme that's finally dying?)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 pm
Ann wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:52 am
I remember that opposition. That was the year that Mars was as big in the sky as the Moon!
(Haven't seen that claim this year... maybe it's a meme that's finally dying?)
That's funny. It seems like I just saw that claim made.... maybe ambiguous sarcasm keeps that meme alive?
Last edited by neufer on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Hellas Basin Touched by Tharsis Montes' Noodly Appendage:

APOD Robot wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:08 am
Image Mars Engulfed

Explanation: The onset of smaller "seed" storms can be seen near the Hellas basin (lower right edge of Mars) and the northern polar cap.

A similar surface view at right, taken over two months later, shows the fully developed extent of the obscuring global storm. Although this storm eventually waned, in recent days a new large dust storm has been taking hold of the red planet.
Art Neuendorffer

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm

It would be cool to make a globe lamp that is an accurate rendition of Mars (or Jupiter), with a digital download from a good source that shows accurate ongoing conditions translating to the lamp. Maybe not very doable yet, but an interesting thought anyway...

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 pm

zendae1 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm It would be cool to make a globe lamp that is an accurate rendition of Mars (or Jupiter), with a digital download from a good source that shows accurate ongoing conditions translating to the lamp. Maybe not very doable yet, but an interesting thought anyway...
Sky and Telescope sells one:
http://www.shopatsky.com/sky-telescope- ... XsQAvD_BwE
(which is blatant advertising, but I have no connection with Sky & Telescope. -- So do a number of other sources.)

Lighting up the globe from inside is not too hard for these companies, they do it with Earth globes, but I did not see that any of them have done this with a Mars globe, so you could be the first!
Mark Goldfain

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:46 pm Although this storm eventually waned, in recent days a new large dust storm has been taking hold of the red planet.
This is why Elon Musk is so motivated to get to Mars ... he wants to help them overcome their massive air pollution problems. :-)
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 pm
zendae1 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm It would be cool to make a globe lamp that is an accurate rendition of Mars (or Jupiter), with a digital download from a good source that shows accurate ongoing conditions translating to the lamp. Maybe not very doable yet, but an interesting thought anyway...
Sky and Telescope sells one:
http://www.shopatsky.com/sky-telescope- ... XsQAvD_BwE
(which is blatant advertising, but I have no connection with Sky & Telescope. -- So do a number of other sources.)

Lighting up the globe from inside is not too hard for these companies, they do it with Earth globes, but I did not see that any of them have done this with a Mars globe, so you could be the first!
Yeah, but that's just a static globe. I think he's looking for one that has an active surface which displays the current conditions.

Digital spheres are readily available these days, and are not very difficult or expensive to make, and there's a wealth of digital content available to project on them, most of it free. So the only limitation I know of in producing such a globe is the rate at which full imagery of the martian surface is updated.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 pm
Yeah, but that's just a static globe. I think he's looking for one that has an active surface which displays the current conditions.

Digital spheres are readily available these days, and are not very difficult or expensive to make, and there's a wealth of digital content available to project on them, most of it free. So the only limitation I know of in producing such a globe is the rate at which full imagery of the martian surface is updated.
Ah. I have never seen anything like this. There's Pufferfish as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Eh44Rp4_Q .
So this with Mars weather data would be what zendae1 is talking about.
Mark Goldfain

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm

MarkBour wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Ah. I have never seen anything like this. There's Pufferfish as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Eh44Rp4_Q .
So this with Mars weather data would be what zendae1 is talking about.
Interesting stuff. I'll have to look into it. I think we'd all like to have one or two of these in their study lol....