APOD: Highlights of the Summer Sky (2018 Jun 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Highlights of the Summer Sky (2018 Jun 27)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:06 am

Image Highlights of the Summer Sky

Explanation: What can you see in the night sky this summer? The featured graphic gives a few highlights for Earth's northern hemisphere. Viewed as a clock face centered at the bottom, early (northern) summer sky events fan out toward the left, while late summer events are projected toward the right. Objects relatively close to Earth are illustrated, in general, as nearer to the cartoon figure with the telescope at the bottom center -- although almost everything pictured can be seen without a telescope. As happens during any season, constellations appear the same year to year, and meteor showers occur on or near the same dates. For example, like last year, the stars of the Summer Triangle will be nighttime icons for most the season, while the Perseids meteor shower will peak in mid-August, as usual. Highlights specific to this summer's sky include that Jupiter will be visible after sunset during June, and Venus will shine brightly in the evening sky during July and August. Saturn and Mars should be visible during much of this season's night, with Saturn appearing in the direction opposite the Sun in late June, and Mars at opposition in late July. Finally, a total lunar eclipse should be visible to anyone who can see the Moon in late July.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Highlights of the Summer Sky (2018 Jun 27)

Post by Boomer12k » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:33 am

Looking forward to it... hope the weather gets warmer...the nights have been cooler, and we only had one day so far in June around 82-84F...most are in the 70's...

:---[===] *

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am

I guess it is already too late to see the Moon near Venus on June 16th, but looking forward to seeing the Moon near Venus on July 16th, and also the Moon near Venus on August 15th. Also the lunar eclipse and Mars closest approach to Earth is a can't miss event.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:30 pm

De58te wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 am Also the lunar eclipse ... is a can't miss event.
It is if you live in North America.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

vfrgreg

Post by vfrgreg » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:01 pm

How about APOD recognises the other half of the Earth and post a Southern hemi version at the same time.

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm

How do they predict noctilucent clouds? I've seen beautiful photos of them, but I didn't realize they were predictable.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm

E Fish wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm How do they predict noctilucent clouds? I've seen beautiful photos of them, but I didn't realize they were predictable.
For the most part they are not predicted, but they are seasonal. They appear at high latitudes, and high elevations. In the summer the Sun can be significantly below the horizon while the upper atmosphere is still in sunlight- the conditions necessary to see the clouds.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Brutzel

Post by Brutzel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I thought Mars is in Opposition at 27th of August 2018 ????