APOD: A Northern Summer's Night (2018 Jul 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Northern Summer's Night (2018 Jul 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:05 am

Image A Northern Summer's Night

Explanation: Near a summer's midnight a mist haunts the river bank in this dreamlike skyscape taken on July 3rd from northern Denmark. Reddened light from the Sun a little below the horizon gives an eerie tint to low hanging clouds. Formed near the edge of space, the silvery apparitions above them are noctilucent or night shining clouds. The icy condensations on meteoric dust or volcanic ash are still in full sunlight at the extreme altitudes of the mesophere. Usually seen at high latitudes in summer months, wide spread displays of the noctilucent clouds are now being reported.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: A Northern Summer's Night (2018 Jul 07)

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 am

Beautiful and magical.

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:05 am

Really nice...
We had some noctilucent clouds tonight as well...in a few minutes it had passed...ours were "fingers" of high cirrus clouds...or so I thought...meteoric dust? Volcanic ash??

:---[===] *

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am

A good question to ask is why did the photographer choose to stand in the water filled ditch? How many of you are impressed by the close-up of the ditch in the foreground? If he wanted to get the reflection of water on the ground wouldn't standing on the bank of a river, or the beach of a lake be even more impressive?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:31 pm

De58te wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am
A good question to ask is why did the photographer choose to stand in the water filled ditch? How many of you are impressed by the close-up of the ditch in the foreground? If he wanted to get the reflection of water on the ground wouldn't standing on the bank of a river, or the beach of a lake be even more impressive?
https://www.etymonline.com/word/last-ditch wrote:
last-ditch (adj.) "on the last line of defense," 1909, from an image attested by 1715, from a quote attributed to William of Orange (1650-1702), who is said to have uttered it defiantly during the French invasion of 1672; if so, originally in a Netherlands context.
  • We have no space to enter into the detail of the heroic struggle maintained by the young stadtholder and his faithful Dutchmen; how they laid their country under water, and successfully kept the powerful invader at bay. Once the contest seemed utterly hopeless. William was advised to compromise the matter, and yield up Holland as the conquest of Louis XIV. "No," replied he; "I mean to die in the last ditch." A speech alone sufficient to render his memory immortal. [Agnes Strickland, "Lives of the Queens of England," London, 1847]
http://www.virgil.org/vitae/a-donatus.htm wrote:
1. Publius Vergilius Maro was a Mantuan of humble parents, especially with regard to his father: some have reported that he was an artisan potter, others that he was employed by a summoner named Magus, that he soon became a son-in-law on account of his industry, and that he built up a fortune of no mean substance by buying up woodlands and tending bees.

2. [Virgil] was born on the ides of October, during the first consulship of Gnaeus Pompeius the Great and Marcus Licinius Crassus [i.e., 15 October 70], in a region called Andes, not far from Mantua. 3. While she was pregnant with him, his mother dreamed that she gave birth to a laurel branch, which struck root when it touched the earth and sprang up on the spot, so that it looked like a full-grown tree, stuffed with diverse fruits and flowers. And the following day, while she was making for the neighboring fields with her husband, she turned aside from the path, threw herself into a ditch, and disburdened herself by delivering the child. 4. In this manner they say that the child was born, and did not cry, so mild was his countenance; that even then, he gave men no small reason to hope that his birth would prove to be auspicious. 5. Another presage was added to this, when the poplar sprout that is immediately planted in the same place by women who have given birth (according to the custom of the region) actually grew up so fast that it stood level with the poplars sown long before. It is called on that account the "tree of Virgil," and prayers for childbirth and safe delivery are still offered with the greatest reverence there by pregnant women and new mothers.
Art Neuendorffer

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Por la altura de la valla de alambre de la orilla izquierda del canal (+ o - 1,40 mts), se nota que en fotógrafo está sobre una embarcación o plataforma.-
sobre la orilla derecha se ve escarcha sobre el pasto y si miran en el borde derecho y a media altura se verá a Venus en este atardecer

Al-manac
Asternaut

Post by Al-manac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm

This is a great composition, very artistic. Yet the variation in the sky just doesn't match my experience... is this a multi-hour composite? I support HDR bracketed shots to render the scene closer to the human experience, but the illumination does not make sense. The orange twilight glow is on the left, yet the pink clouds are illuminated from the right. I myself create time-slices and multi-hour composites, but I always state that it is not a single image nor an instant in time.

Regards.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Al-manac wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm This is a great composition, very artistic. Yet the variation in the sky just doesn't match my experience... is this a multi-hour composite? I support HDR bracketed shots to render the scene closer to the human experience, but the illumination does not make sense. The orange twilight glow is on the left, yet the pink clouds are illuminated from the right. I myself create time-slices and multi-hour composites, but I always state that it is not a single image nor an instant in time.
It is presented as a fairly ordinary HDR made from a set of shots ranging from 2.5 to 30 seconds. I see no reason not to think the entire sequence wasn't collected in under a minute. It is unclear in the image just where the Sun is- nothing demands it is under the orange glow. It may be much farther to the right. And it is difficult to determine just where the clouds are illuminated, since we can't know their 3D shape. That lower rim which is most lit up may well be lit from the lower left horizon if it's an edge that is substantially parallel to our view, not perpendicular to it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Al-manac
Asternaut

Post by Al-manac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm

You have raised valid points Chris. Something else I did not consider is that the orange glow to the left may well be from sodium lights of a city. The amount of light on the lower parts of the right river bank just doesn't seem right...perhaps it is the strength/aggressiveness of the HDR is that is throwing me. Oh well.

Loverly

Post by Loverly » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm

De58te wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am A good question to ask is why did the photographer choose to stand in the water filled ditch? How many of you are impressed by the close-up of the ditch in the foreground? If he wanted to get the reflection of water on the ground wouldn't standing on the bank of a river, or the beach of a lake be even more impressive?
Standing on a bridge over the river Liver Å. I for one am impressed. Nicely framed and composed. Go look at the artist's other work at https://www.facebook.com/rmsphotography95/ and you'll see he has a pretty good idea of what he's doing.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Loverly wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm
De58te wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am A good question to ask is why did the photographer choose to stand in the water filled ditch? How many of you are impressed by the close-up of the ditch in the foreground? If he wanted to get the reflection of water on the ground wouldn't standing on the bank of a river, or the beach of a lake be even more impressive?
Standing on a bridge over the river Liver Å. I for one am impressed. Nicely framed and composed. Go look at the artist's other work at https://www.facebook.com/rmsphotography95/ and you'll see he has a pretty good idea of what he's doing.
I too am incredibly impressed by the image, including the water feature. The composition wouldn't be the same if it was larger. Our Earth is beautiful in all of its many forms.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.