APOD: Fermi Science Finals (2018 Jul 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Fermi Science Finals (2018 Jul 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:07 am

Image Fermi Science Finals

Explanation: The Fermi Science Playoffs celebrate 10 years of the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope's exploration of the high-energy universe. Surviving all early rounds of voting, these two finalists in the competion square off at last. Digital illustrations from a list of 16 of Fermi's top scientific discoveries, they represent the competition's two top seeds, defeating 12th seed New Clues to Dark Matter and 14th seed Starquakes in Magnetar Storm in the semifinal round. On the left are unprecedented, unpredicted, 25,000 light-year tall Gamma-ray Bubbles above and below the plane of our Milky Way galaxy. On the right, violently merging Neutron Stars Collide to create the first gamma-ray detected gravitational wave event. Pick one now and cast your vote here to crown the most popular science result from Fermi's first decade.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

isblech@technion.ac.il

Re: APOD: Fermi Science Finals (2018 Jul 23)

Post by isblech@technion.ac.il » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:51 am

gamma-rays objects

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 am

BOTH... a tie...but if forced to pick... "Neutron Stars Collide".

It was a big question, and a long time coming.

"Gamma Ray Bubbles"???? going to look that up...OK...my theory...for what it is worth... :lol2:

Jets from CMB shoot out of the galaxy...top and bottom... then...event ends.... This is what is produced as the gasses dissipate out into open space when there is no further CMB action... Just my guess... :?:

:---[===] *

DomeLord

Post by DomeLord » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 am

Being a firm believer in co-operation rather than competition, one has to pass here but best wishes all round. Stating the obvious I know but science, like music, isn't about competition.

Antony Rawlinson
Ensign

Post by Antony Rawlinson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 am

Are these actual telescopic images, false-colour enhancements, overlays of gamma images with visible light, or artists' impressions? The text doesn't make it clear.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:57 am

Antony Rawlinson wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 am Are these actual telescopic images, false-colour enhancements, overlays of gamma images with visible light, or artists' impressions? The text doesn't make it clear.
They are FAKE NEWS. I think this whole "competition" is disgusting.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 am

Antony Rawlinson wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 am Are these actual telescopic images, false-colour enhancements, overlays of gamma images with visible light, or artists' impressions? The text doesn't make it clear.

They are artist's impressions, although the Milky Way disk might be a visible overlay. As for the giant gamma ray bubbles above and below the plane of the Milky Way, this is what Fermi actually detected: :arrow:

As for the colliding neutron stars, they are located some 130 million light years from the Earth, and they are very tiny. No Earthly telescope exists that could photograph the colliding neutron star merger in such detail as in today's APOD.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm

DomeLord wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 am Being a firm believer in co-operation rather than competition, one has to pass here but best wishes all round. Stating the obvious I know but science, like music, isn't about competition.
Music competitions are valuable and advance music. Likewise for science competitions. Not only do they motivate musicians and scientists, but they also can be very valuable in stimulating public interest (which is the main point of this particular competition).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm

I want to cast my vote for the version that Ann posted.
Mark Goldfain

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Both are worthy contenders, but I voted for
On the right, violently merging Neutron Stars Collide to create the first gamma-ray detected gravitational wave event.
due to the importance of this event in the history of astronomy. This was the first ever "multi-messenger event", leading to confirmation of important theories re heavy element formation.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:17 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:38 pm Both are worthy contenders, but I voted for
On the right, violently merging Neutron Stars Collide to create the first gamma-ray detected gravitational wave event.
due to the importance of this event in the history of astronomy. This was the first ever "multi-messenger event", leading to confirmation of important theories re heavy element formation.

Bruce
Most of those who cast their votes in this competition will vote like you did, Bruce. But of course, as a galaxy nerd, I had to vote for the Milky Way bubbles.

Ann
Color Commentator

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 am

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:17 am
BDanielMayfield wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:38 pm Both are worthy contenders, but I voted for

Bruce
Most of those who cast their votes in this competition will vote like you did, Bruce. But of course, as a galaxy nerd, I had to vote for the Milky Way bubbles.

Ann
Maybe not Ann. This is a close call I think, because only Fermi could make the Milky Way Bubbles discovery, whereas a great many space and land based observatories were part of the neutron star collision discovery. If Fermi had missed the NS collision the discovery would still have been made, just with somewhat less confirmation. What tipped the balance for me was the large difference in importance between the two discoveries.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

edgardine
Ensign

Post by edgardine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:16 pm

MarkBour wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm I want to cast my vote for the version that Ann posted.
Me too.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:33 pm

Fermi bubbles may have a twin sister born in the Milky Way's no-fly zone. :shock:

What type of twin remains TBD. :|
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"