Galaxy News

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
joeycummens
Asternaut

Galaxy News

Post by joeycummens » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:26 pm

I swore I read an article either last month or this month regarding galaxy's missing energy. It was reported in one of those months as well on a site with had a light blue computer-tab like header that had the name "science" in it. Now I cannot find it. It is not the cosmic microwave background but it did have the initialism either CMG or CMB. I am certain of the first two letters (or at least the fist one). I tried searching but all I've gotten was either cosmic microwave background or CMG stock/financial company. Here is what I remembered:

All of a galaxy's missing energy goes to this "storage" or "container" like invisible place either inside or a little ways outside the galaxy so it can be "used" for later. I think it's a hypothetical scenario but it had evidence to back it up. I remember there being a graph with an X and Y axis with lines that have a sharp top and plots scattered about like a scatter plot graph (but not?). There was another photo that was black and white with two galaxies aptly name G1 and G2. It was actually very long. I swear this exists and it was very cool.

Thank you for helping me find it and have a great day,

Joey Cummens

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: Galaxy News

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm

That sounds a lot like pseudoscience Joey, or in other words fake news, which the internet is littered with these days. I'd recommend not wasting any more time looking for it.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 am

Perhaps it was "missing matter" ???

viewtopic.php?t=38390
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

joeycummens
Asternaut

Post by joeycummens » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 am

No, that is not it. And it was a legitimate news article on a reputable science site. At the risk of sounding inaccurate, I have some few more information:

They gone on to explain that the orginal hypothesis was that cold energy sinks back down into the galaxy to refuel it, whereas the hot energy stays in the "container", causing the galaxy to die. And I think they were shocked that sometimes that was not case and that it was vice versa.

The G1 and G2 photo I mentioned was like looking through a microsope lens. It was all grainy with a white background and three black blobs: G1, G2 and a small dot which represented the container.

They used one of the ground telescopes (Chandra?) to verify it.

If I find it, I will let you know.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:31 am

joeycummens wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 am No, that is not it. And it was a legitimate news article on a reputable science site. At the risk of sounding inaccurate, I have some few more information:

They gone on to explain that the orginal hypothesis was that cold energy sinks back down into the galaxy to refuel it, whereas the hot energy stays in the "container", causing the galaxy to die. And I think they were shocked that sometimes that was not case and that it was vice versa.

The G1 and G2 photo I mentioned was like looking through a microsope lens. It was all grainy with a white background and three black blobs: G1, G2 and a small dot which represented the container.

They used one of the ground telescopes (Chandra?) to verify it.

If I find it, I will let you know.

Cold gas that sinks back onto a galaxy can fuel fresh star formation. Energy released from the jets of black holes can quench star formation.

To my knowledge, astronomy doesn't talk about "hot" or "cold" energy.

Ann
Color Commentator

joeycummens
Asternaut

Post by joeycummens » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you, I misspoke. It was gas and not energy. Now it will be easier for me to find it. Also, it is hard to find galaxy news due to the phone of the same name.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm

joeycummens wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am Thank you, I misspoke. It was gas and not energy. Now it will be easier for me to find it. Also, it is hard to find galaxy news due to the phone of the same name.
I feel your pain.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:20 pm

geckzilla wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm
joeycummens wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am Thank you, I misspoke. It was gas and not energy. Now it will be easier for me to find it. Also, it is hard to find galaxy news due to the phone of the same name.
I feel your pain.
Why the hell did they have to call it Galaxy?! :evil:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Is this the paper you're looking for?

http://www.keckobservatory.org/gas_halo

Ann
Color Commentator

joeycummens
Asternaut

Post by joeycummens » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 am

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:46 pm

joeycummens wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 am Nope. I found it:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cos ... ming-focus
I'm glad you didn't take my advice Joey. Nice article. I liked learning about the metal content of this recycled gas too. It would make what's been called the galactic habitable zones much more extensive. Rocky Planet's galore!

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

pinkupriyanka
Asternaut

Post by pinkupriyanka » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:18 am

Is their any reason why is that energy missing in the galaxy? so that it will help to figure out the problem