APOD: Aurora: The Frog's View (2018 Oct 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Aurora: The Frog's View (2018 Oct 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:09 am

Image Aurora: The Frog's View

Explanation: What does an aurora look like to a frog? "Awesome!" is the likely answer, suggested by this imaginative snapshot taken on October 3rd from Kiruna, Sweden. Frequented by apparitions of the northern lights, Kiruna is located in Lapland north of the Arctic Circle, and often under the auroral oval surrounding planet Earth's geomagnetic north pole. To create a tantalizing view from a frog's perspective the photographer turned on the flashlight on her phone and placed it on the ground facing down, resting her camera's lens on top. The "diamonds" in the foreground are icy pebbles right in front of the lens, lit up by the flashlight. Reflecting the shimmering northern lights, the "lake" is a frozen puddle on the ground. Of course, in the distance is the Bengt Hultqvist Observatory.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

De58te
Commander

Re: APOD: Aurora: The Frog's View (2018 Oct 06)

Post by De58te » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 am

More green? Frog sings "It's not easy being green. How can anybody notice me?"

Well anyways, I could have sworn reading an article in September that the Sun has entered its quiet phase. There is no activity on the face of the Sun. So how can there be an Aurora? Is the 11 year cycle already over in just a month?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 am

De58te wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:17 am More green? Frog sings "It's not easy being green. How can anybody notice me?"

Well anyways, I could have sworn reading an article in September that the Sun has entered its quiet phase. There is no activity on the face of the Sun. So how can there be an Aurora? Is the 11 year cycle already over in just a month?
I'm anything but an expert on auroras. I believe, nevertheless, that close to the North and South poles you get occasional auroras even when the Sun is fairly quiet. And Kiruna, where this picture was taken, is relatively close to the North Pole.

Ann
Color Commentator

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:46 am

Ohhhh, WOW.....Beautiful..... a purple Observatory.....

:---[===] *

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170228131001.htm wrote:
Frogs have unique ability to see color in the dark
February 28, 2017

<<The night vision of frogs and toads appears to be superior to that of all other animals. They have the ability to see colour even when it is so dark that humans are not able to see anything at all. This has been shown in a new study by researchers from Lund University in Sweden. "It's amazing that these animals can actually see colour in extreme darkness, down to the absolute threshold of the visual system. These results were unexpected," says Professor of Sensory Biology Almut Kelber at the Faculty of Science, Lund University.

Most vertebrates, including humans, have two types of visual cells located in the retina, namely cones and rods. The cones enable us to see colour, but they usually require a lot of light and therefore stop working when it gets dark, in which case the rods take over so that we can at least find our way home, albeit in black and white.

In toads and frogs the rods are a bit special, however. It was previously known that toads and frogs are unique in having rods with two different sensitivities. This has not been found in other vertebrates, and it is also the reason why researchers have long suspected that frogs and toads might be able to see colour also in low-light conditions. The new study was first in proving this to be true, and the results exceeded all expectations.>>

Journal Reference: Carola A. M. Yovanovich, Sanna M. Koskela, Noora Nevala, Sergei L. Kondrashev, Almut Kelber, Kristian Donner. The dual rod system of amphibians supports colour discrimination at the absolute visual threshold. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 2017; 372 (1717): 20160066 DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2016.0066

Art Neuendorffer

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:38 pm

The frog who took this really made one giant leap for all frogkind. :lol2:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Leon1949Green

Post by Leon1949Green » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Dear APOD:
Fanciful as this picture is, it is incorrect. A frog would see 270 degrees of this. But thanks for getting on the way to that.
Blessings,
Leon

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:28 pm

This is a psychedelic picture