APOD: Skygazers on the Beach (2018 Oct 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Skygazers on the Beach (2018 Oct 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 am

Image Skygazers on the Beach

Explanation: Kona, a young boxer, is a dog who loves splashing in the waves along Solana Beach near San Diego, planet Earth. But he paused here, at least briefly, during an early evening romp on October 7. Along with two people friends he gazes skyward in this snapshot, dazzled by the flight of a Falcon 9 rocket. Their seaside view is of the sunlit exhaust plumes from the rocket's first stage thrusters as it returns to Vandenberg Air Force base, its launch site over 250 miles to the north.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

scr33d
Ensign

Re: APOD: Skygazers on the Beach (2018 Oct 13)

Post by scr33d » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 am

Christ, this makes three APOD in a row on one launch. This is astronomy as a Twinkie is food.
Who runs this website?

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:39 am

Nice... I thought it was a comet or something I had missed...

:---[===] *

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 am

Felis the Cat was included in the highly-acclaimed Uranographia
Sive Astrorum Descriptio star atlas of 1801.

Since I much prefer cats over dogs, and since I'm not so wild about rocket launches either (although the one in today's APOD does look amazing, I'll grant you that), I decided to post a picture of a cat pondering the night sky.

And as for the Felis constellation:
Wikipedia wrote:

Felis (Latin for cat) was a constellation created by French astronomer Jérôme Lalande in 1799. He chose the name partly because, as a cat lover, he felt sorry that there was not yet a cat among the constellations (although there are two lions and a lynx). It was between the constellations of Antlia and Hydra.

This constellation was first depicted in the Uranographia sive Astrorum Descriptio (1801) of Johann Elert Bode. It is now obsolete.

Its brightest star, HD 85951, was named Felis by the International Astronomical Union on 1 June 2018 and it is now so included in the List of IAU-approved Star Names.
Unfortunately HD 85951 is a red M0-type star. :( I guess that HD 85951 is a red cat star, red like the lovely Haku, owned by Rachel and Jun.

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am

scr33d wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 am Christ, this makes three APOD in a row on one launch. This is astronomy as a Twinkie is food.
Who runs this website?
Yes! we want more pictures of the Orion nebula, and of the Ring nebula, and of .... [sarcasm]

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am

One of the long running criticisms of space exploration is return on cost. The development of reusable boosters is a tremendous step forward in eliminating this line of thinking. Seeing an APOD of a returning booster is a time to celebrate even if it is one in a series. We may get off this planet yet. And I don't think Christ had anything to do with it.

willythekorn@yahoo.com

Post by willythekorn@yahoo.com » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:52 pm

With respect, given the location where the picture was taken, that has to be the second stage most of the way into space already. I viewed the launch from Altadena, over 100 miles to the north, and the first stage didn''t get that high in the sky, nor did it leave such a long plume.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm

NCTom wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am We may get off this planet yet.
Yes: the Space Elevator: it will come, it will come! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm

scr33d wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 am Christ, this makes three APOD in a row on one launch. This is astronomy as a Twinkie is food.
Who runs this website?
The volunteers, both of them, who have run APOD since it began many years ago, choose what they wish to choose. The appropriate response is... Oh well, I'll see what they give us tomorrow.

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:33 pm

heehaw wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:51 pm
NCTom wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:45 am We may get off this planet yet.
Yes: the Space Elevator: it will come, it will come! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
But hopefully not for a long, long time!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

rstevenson wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:04 pm
Who runs this website?
The volunteers, both of them, who have run APOD since it began many years ago, choose what they wish to choose. The appropriate response is... Oh well, I'll see what they give us tomorrow.
Yes, Rob, I agree totally, and would like to add to that appropriate response, "In the future I will also not make such self-entitled posts"

(And a Twinkie is a kind of food, providing valuable calories if nothing else is available. Fight me)
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:11 pm

I wish we had 'likes' on this site!

NHcycler

Post by NHcycler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Who runs this website?

Rob
The appropriate response should be "Thank you."

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 am

Almost looks like a " cometa "
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:51 am

NHcycler wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 pm
scr33d wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 am
Christ, this makes three APOD in a row on one launch. This is astronomy as a Twinkie is food. Who runs this website?
The volunteers, both of them, who have run APOD since it began many years ago, choose what they wish to choose.

The appropriate response is... Oh well, I'll see what they give us tomorrow.
The appropriate response should be "Thank you."
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that APOD provides, and then questions the manner in which APOD provides it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a telescope and send in a post of your own photos.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:50 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm
scr33d wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:28 am
Christ, this makes three APOD in a row on one launch. This is astronomy as a Twinkie is food.
(a Twinkie is a kind of food, providing valuable calories if nothing else is available. Fight me)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie wrote:
<<In 2010, Kansas State University professor Mark Haub went on a "convenience store" diet consisting mainly of Twinkies, Oreos, and Doritos in an attempt to demonstrate to his students "...that in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most, not the nutritional value of the food." He lost 27 pounds over a two-month period, returning his body mass index (BMI) to within normal range. However, despite calling it the "Twinkie diet", Haub also consumed a multivitamin, a protein shake and fresh vegetables along with the Twinkies, Oreos, and Doritos.

A common urban legend claims that Twinkies have an infinite shelf life, and can last unspoiled for a relatively long time of ten, fifty, or one hundred years due to the chemicals used in their production. A homage to the unlimited shelf life urban myth appears in the film WALL-E, where the title character's pet cockroach is shown eating its way into the 700 year old cream filling at one end and emerging out the other, none the worse for wear. In reality, Twinkies are on the shelf for a short time; a company executive told The New York Times in 2000 that the "Twinkie is on the shelf no more than 7 to 10 days." The maximum shelf life was reported to have been 26 days, until the addition of stronger preservatives made beginning in 2012 increased it to 45 days.

In the film "Ghostbusters", the character Egon Spengler describes a speculated level of psychokinetic energy and uses a regular Twinkie size to represent the normal level of such energy in New York City. He then says that based on a recent sample, the Twinkie representing New York would be over 35 feet long and weigh approximately 600 pounds, to which the character Winston Zeddemore replies, "That's a big Twinkie."

In the 1988 blockbuster "Die Hard", LAPD Sergeant Al Powell is seen buying Twinkies at a gas station, to which the attendant says "I thought you guys ate donuts?". Powell replies, claiming that they are for his pregnant wife. It is later revealed to be his favourite snack, to the point that he is able to list all the ingredients to John McClane, claiming they are "Just about everything a growing boy needs!".

"Twinkie defense" is a catchall term coined by reporters during their coverage of the trial of defendant Dan White for the murders of San Francisco city Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone. White's change in diet from healthful food to Twinkies and other sugary foods was said to be a symptom of depression.>>
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 pm

willythekorn@yahoo.com wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:52 pm With respect, given the location where the picture was taken, that has to be the second stage most of the way into space already. I viewed the launch from Altadena, over 100 miles to the north, and the first stage didn''t get that high in the sky, nor did it leave such a long plume.
You must be correct.
This has to be the second stage still climbing and moving well downrange.
Mark Goldfain