APOD: Flying Saucer Crash Lands in Utah Desert (2018 Nov 04)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Flying Saucer Crash Lands in Utah Desert (2018 Nov 04)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:11 am

Image Flying Saucer Crash Lands in Utah Desert

Explanation: A flying saucer from outer space crash-landed in the Utah desert after being tracked by radar and chased by helicopters. The year was 2004, and no space aliens were involved. The saucer, pictured here, was the Genesis sample return capsule, part of a human-made robot Genesis spaceship launched in 2001 by NASA itself to study the Sun. The unexpectedly hard landing at over 300 kilometers per hour occurred because the parachutes did not open as planned. The Genesis mission had been orbiting the Sun collecting solar wind particles that are usually deflected away by Earth's magnetic field. Despite the crash landing, many return samples remained in good enough condition to analyze. So far, Genesis-related discoveries include new details about the composition of the Sun and how the abundance of some types of elements differ across the Solar System. These results have provided intriguing clues into details of how the Sun and planets formed billions of years ago.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

heehaw

Re: APOD: Flying Saucer Crash Lands in Utah Desert (2018 Nov 04)

Post by heehaw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:15 am

Crash! Also, about 1963 or so Don Morton at Princeton flew a sounding rocket for 5 minutes from White Sands Missile Range; it suffered parachute failure, and crashed. Don wrapped the wreckage in black cloth and took it to the dark room and took splinters of the grating out of the film cannister and developed the film ... and got the first ultraviolet spectrum of any star other than the sun!

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Showing that even with disaster SOMETHING can be salvaged...with a little luck...

Glad they were able to do that.

:---[===] *

shivmanoj

Post by shivmanoj » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm

why the misleading terms, this is NOT a flying saucer? allowed others to republish as well? i understand a little creativity to attract attention, but this is sad. I love this site and these kind of distractions kind of belittle the importance of the information.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 pm

shivmanoj wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm
why the misleading terms, this is NOT a flying saucer?
Not anymore... It's now an Identified Crashed Object.
Art Neuendorffer

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm

shivmanoj wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm why the misleading terms, this is NOT a flying saucer? allowed others to republish as well? i understand a little creativity to attract attention, but this is sad. I love this site and these kind of distractions kind of belittle the importance of the information.
Well, it does remind me of the plot of the Michael Chrichton novel "The Andromeda Strain". And it probably had that feeling upon first sighting by our APOD editors. I love this site, too. And certainly enjoy that they have a sense of humor. I guess I don't have the same intuition as you do that levity would belittle the importance of the information.
Mark Goldfain

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 pm

MarkBour wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm
shivmanoj wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 pm
why the misleading terms, this is NOT a flying saucer? allowed others to republish as well? i understand a little creativity to attract attention, but this is sad. I love this site and these kind of distractions kind of belittle the importance of the information.
Well, it does remind me of the plot of the Michael Chrichton novel "The Andromeda Strain". And it probably had that feeling upon first sighting by our APOD editors. I love this site, too. And certainly enjoy that they have a sense of humor. I guess I don't have the same intuition as you do that levity would belittle the importance of the information.
  • Since it clearly lacks "levity" it can't be a "flying" saucer.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/levity#etymonline_v_9451 wrote:
levity (n.) from French levite, from Latin levitatem (nominative levitas) "lightness," literal and figurative.
  • In old science (16c.-17c.), the name of a force or property of physical bodies,
    the opposite of gravity, causing them to tend to rise.
Art Neuendorffer