APOD: New Horizons at Ultima Thule (2018 Dec 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: New Horizons at Ultima Thule (2018 Dec 29)

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm
geckzilla wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am
Here's a great thread from Alex Parker (with some pictures featuring real data!) for those who don't favor the illustration:
https://twitter.com/Alex_Parker/status/ ... 0128668674

It's a fun trip.
That really is a great thread geck, thanks for sharing it. Real nice learning that Ultima Thule is a member of the Classical Cold Kuiper belt, which is in the plain of the solar system, and likely to be the oldest object we've ever observed.
Other that stepanek, you mean.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Last edited by neufer on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:52 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:05 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:51 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Right. I was glad to come across something showing the pronunciation as "TooLee".
Interesting. I've always pronounced it that way, but I come to it through Norse folklore. But that's the wrong pronunciation in English, where it has always been said with a soft "th" sound... as it should be, coming from Latin through Greek, both with that same sound.
I can't state my source for "Toolee" Chris, as there have been numerous pop press articles of late, which makes that pronunciation far from definitive. How would the locals who live and work in Thule Greenland pronounce it?
BDanielMayfield wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 pm Here's something more correct on the pronunciation of Thule from wikipedia:
Thule (/ˈθjuːliː/ THEW-lee[1] Greek: Θούλη Thoúlē, Latin: Thūlē) was the place located furthest north, which was mentioned in ancient Greek and Roman literature and cartography.
On this how to pronounce Thule question, last night's Nova reporting on New Horizons had nobody saying THEW-lee. The mission guys and gals where all saying "Too-lee" or in one case "Too-lay".
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:58 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:52 am
BDanielMayfield wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:05 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Interesting. I've always pronounced it that way, but I come to it through Norse folklore. But that's the wrong pronunciation in English, where it has always been said with a soft "th" sound... as it should be, coming from Latin through Greek, both with that same sound.
I can't state my source for "Toolee" Chris, as there have been numerous pop press articles of late, which makes that pronunciation far from definitive. How would the locals who live and work in Thule Greenland pronounce it?
BDanielMayfield wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 pm Here's something more correct on the pronunciation of Thule from wikipedia:
Thule (/ˈθjuːliː/ THEW-lee[1] Greek: Θούλη Thoúlē, Latin: Thūlē) was the place located furthest north, which was mentioned in ancient Greek and Roman literature and cartography.
On this how to pronounce Thule question, last night's Nova reporting on New Horizons had nobody saying THEW-lee. The mission guys and gals where all saying "Too-lee" or in one case "Too-lay".
Well, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. If people start saying it without the "th" sound, dictionaries will start showing that as an acceptable pronunciation. Such is English.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com