What is Complete Attention

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
acap
Ensign

What is Complete Attention

Post by acap » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:27 am

As discussed by J Krishnamurthy, attention is one of the attributes of Humans that need to be discussed and explored. Complete attention is something when the observer is the observed. We normally have partial attention only and this leads to a gap between the observed and the observer. This gap may lead to ignorance and wrong judgement which is damaging.

Can we discuss this further here.....

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: What is Complete Attention

Post by neufer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:36 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis wrote:
<<Omphaloskepsis or navel-gazing is contemplation of one's navel as an aid to meditation. The word derives from the Ancient Greek words ὀμφᾰλός (omphalós, lit. 'navel') and σκέψῐς (sképsis, lit. 'viewing, examination, speculation'). Actual use of the practice as an aid to contemplation of basic principles of the cosmos and human nature is found in the practice of yoga of Hinduism and sometimes in the Eastern Orthodox Church. In yoga, the navel is the site of the manipura (also called nabhi) chakra, which yogis consider "a powerful chakra of the body". The monks of Mount Athos, Greece, were described as Omphalopsychians by J.G. Minningen, writing in the 1830s, who says they "...pretended or fancied that they experienced celestial joys when gazing on their umbilical region, in converse with the Deity". However, phrases such as "contemplating one's navel" or "navel-gazing" are frequently used, usually in jocular fashion, to refer to self-absorbed pursuits.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:25 pm

I might say complete attention is stream of consciousness reduced into a narrow beam of thought on a singular focus (navel) for an extended period of time. I find it frustrating that the mind flow jumps from thought to thought when I’d prefer to stay on task.

It would be fun to have two or more streams under thought at the same time so when I make a joke I could keep a straight face. :ssmile: :|
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

acap
Ensign

Post by acap » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:30 am

When a photon strikes an electron, 100% of the energy of the photon is transferred to the electron and the photon vanishes. The electron starts moving and we have an electric current - this is what happens in the photo-electric effect. The completeness of the transfer of energy from the photon to the electron is the issue that I wish to discuss. According to me, this completeness (of the transfer of energy) is what creates a new phenomena. Can our activities such as attention, understanding, love etc be 100% complete (and therefore not partial or conditional) so that we create something new out of it. For example: does the artist has such complete attention and he able to create a new painting or song or movie etc etc? Is completeness connected to creation?

acap
Ensign

Post by acap » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Is complete attention is when we don't question a fact? Why I say this is a fact cannot be contradicted - it is. There is an element of silence also associated with it. So, when we encounter a fact do we naturally can give it complete attention?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:19 am

I have a strong suspicion this isn't a real human, but a robot that doesn't really even have an advertising purpose, which is pretty strange.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 pm

geckzilla wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:19 am
I have a strong suspicion this isn't a real human, but a robot that doesn't really even have an advertising purpose, which is pretty strange.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test wrote:
<<The Turing test, developed by Alan Turing in 1950, is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. Turing proposed that a human evaluator would judge natural language conversations between a human and a machine designed to generate human-like responses. The evaluator would be aware that one of the two partners in conversation is a machine, and all participants would be separated from one another. The conversation would be limited to a text-only channel such as a computer keyboard and screen so the result would not depend on the machine's ability to render words as speech. If the evaluator cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test. The test results do not depend on the machine's ability to give correct answers to questions, only how closely its answers resemble those a human would give.>>
Art Neuendorffer

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:43 am

Yeah, they actually pass really well for someone who has minimal English skills (or whatever the current language in use is)
It's really hard to distinguish a robot from someone who just has a hard time communicating.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Hal acap: What are you doing Dave geck?
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:16 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:42 pm
Hal acap: What are you doing Dave geck?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_(1960_film) wrote:
<<Universe is a black-and-white short animated documentary made in 1960 by the National Film Board of Canada. It "creates on the screen a vast, awe-inspiring picture of the universe as it would appear to a voyager through space. Realistic animation takes you into far regions of space, beyond the reach of the strongest telescope, past Moon, Sun, and Milky Way into galaxies yet unfathomed."

This visualization is grounded in the nightly work of Dr. Donald MacRae, an astronomer at the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hill, Ontario, a facility formerly owned and operated by the University of Toronto, Canada, and now operated by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. Using the technology of his era, MacRae prepares his largely manually operated equipment and then photographs, by long exposure, one star. He actually strikes an arc between iron electrodes and makes a simultaneous exposure, which he can compare to the star's spectrum to determine its movement relative to Earth.

Douglas Rain (March 13, 1928 – November 11, 2018) did the narration for the English version. After this work, co-director Colin Low worked with Stanley Kubrick on 2001: A Space Odyssey. Kubrick chose Universe narrator Douglas Rain as the voice of the HAL 9000 computer and also hired Wally Gentleman, who did optical effects for the NFB documentary, to work on 2001.

According to Kubrick biographer Vincent Lobrutto: As the film unspooled, Kubrick watched the screen with rapt attention while a panorama of the galaxies swirled by, achieving the standard of dynamic visionary realism that he was looking for. These images were not flawed by the shoddy matte work, obvious animation and poor miniatures typically found in science fiction films. Universe proved that the camera could be a telescope to the heavens.
>>
Art Neuendorffer