APOD: AZURE Vapor Tracers over Norway (2019 Apr 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: AZURE Vapor Tracers over Norway (2019 Apr 08)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:08 am

Image AZURE Vapor Tracers over Norway

Explanation: What's happening in the sky? The atmosphere over northern Norway appeared quite strange for about 30 minutes last Friday when colorful clouds, dots, and plumes suddenly appeared. The colors were actually created by the NASA-funded Auroral Zone Upwelling Rocket Experiment (AZURE) which dispersed gas tracers to probe winds in Earth's upper atmosphere. AZURE's tracers originated from two short-lived sounding rockets launched from the Andøya Space Center in Norway. The harmless gases, trimethylaluminum and a barium/strontium mixture, were released into the ionosphere at altitudes of 115 and 250 km. The vapor trails were observed dispersing from several ground stations. Mapping how AZURE's vapors dispersed should increase humanity's understanding of how the solar wind transfers energy to the Earth and powers aurora.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

revloren
Ensign

Re: APOD: AZURE Vapor Tracers over Norway (2019 Apr 08)

Post by revloren » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:03 am

So much WOW here! I'd love to know the chemical/elevation/atmospheric characteristics that made for the different features - the wispy orange, the green dots, the blue smudges. I can't see an actual path for the rockets, the displays seem quite dispersed. Then there's the background green aurora/airglow.

This opens up so many possibilities for artistic planetary displays. Why does Norway get to have all the fun? :o :lol2:

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 am

look up how "safe" those chemicals are...I know, I know...released in the Ionosphere...

:---[===] *

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:17 am

For some reason reminds me of this song:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

joe25

Post by joe25 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Any 'anti-fungal' properties to Barium, Strontium, or Aluminum ?

HellCat
Ensign

Post by HellCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:38 pm

I'd like to know more about Yang Sutie. Great shot, great timing!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Can you imagine all the UFO reports! :mrgreen: :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 pm

It's neat seeing the greeny-blue dots reflected back off the azure-blue blobbies.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 pm

What's wrong with the trees on these mountains? They're all growing in different directions.
Mark Goldfain

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 pm

MarkBour wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:31 pm
What's wrong with the trees on these mountains? They're all growing in different directions.
  • They're suffering from "the vapors".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapours_(disease) wrote:
<<In the Victorian era, a variety of conditions which affected women were referred to as "a case of the vapours". Ladies' tight corsets could squeeze their internal organs, including the lungs, and could restrict breathing causing the wearer to feel faint and suffer "the vapours".

Over 4000 years of history, this disease was considered from two perspectives: scientific and demonological. It was cured with herbs, sex or sexual abstinence, punished and purified with fire for its association with sorcery and finally, clinically studied as a disease and treated with innovative therapies. However, even at the end of 19th century, scientific innovation had still not reached some places, where the only known therapies were those proposed by Galen. The evolution of these diseases seems to be a factor linked with social “westernization”, and examining under what conditions the symptoms first became common in different societies became a priority for recent studies over risk factor.

Today, the phrase "a case of the vapors" is most often used either melodramatically or for comedic effect.>>
Art Neuendorffer

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 pm

After which, the immortal Galen became an archaeologist and sometimes appeared as Picard...

dan

Post by dan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 am

revloren wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:03 am So much WOW here! I'd love to know the chemical/elevation/atmospheric characteristics that made for the different features - the wispy orange, the green dots, the blue smudges. I can't see an actual path for the rockets, the displays seem quite dispersed.
I agree. Does anyone know which chemicals produced which effects observed in this photo?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Answered my questions:
- Dark blue areas are from neutral barium emissions (possibly w/ strontium)
- Light blue spots AND white wispy tails are from Tri-methyl aluminum (TMA) vapor trail
More explanation here: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/soun ... etals.html