APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 3608
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:09 am

Image Jupiter Abyss

Explanation: What's that black spot on Jupiter? No one is sure. During the latest pass of NASA's Juno around Jupiter, the robotic spacecraft imaged an usually dark cloud feature informally dubbed the Abyss. Surrounding cloud patterns show the Abyss to be at the center of a vortex. Since dark features on Jupiter's atmosphere tend to run deeper than light features, the Abyss may really be the deep hole that it appears -- but without more evidence that remains conjecture. The Abyss is surrounded by a complex of meandering clouds and other swirling storm systems, some of which are topped by light colored, high-altitude clouds. The featured image was captured last month while Juno passed only about 15,000 kilometers above Jupiter's cloud tops. The next close pass of Juno near Jupiter will be in July.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by RocketRon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 am

Interesting.

Would we expect gas giants to have a surface as such ?
Has a radar scan indicated a surface at all ?

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 am

RocketRon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 am
Interesting.

Would we expect gas giants to have a surface as such ?
Has a radar scan indicated a surface at all ?
Do a search...Is there a surface to Jupiter...

:---[===] *

Boomer12k
:---[===] *
Posts: 2531
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 am

It is a wonderful coincidence!

This is a very awesome close up of the clouds, and the dark area is certainly interesting...it reminds me of the "EYE WALL" in a Hurricane. I wonder if it is really hollow, or if it is some darker material as we see in some of the other swirly areas.

It very much reminds me of Mandelbrot and swirling "Julia" sets...

Just so happens, I had come in from a brief time with my scope and Jupiter!!!

I was out and got a picture of Jupiter as tomorrow it is at its closest to Earth, this was still Sunday night, but around midnight...but I am not sure of the weather...so I got out and was lucky...it was very nice today, and the high cirrus clouds moved off...

See PICS!!! First images THIS YEAR...

All are with my Celestron Evolution 6"
The more yellow one...Top...is with my Meade LP color camera, the others are with my Zwo 120 color camera.
At 4 fps...150 frames...best 50 frames, stacked with Registax 6.

I rarely have color in the middle...I did turn up the Saturation on the top image...that camera likes to have more yellow for some reason... not so with the Zwo...

The bottom one has the best focus I think...

:---[===] *
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Astronymus
Ensign
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm
AKA: Astro
Location: Astroplanet

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by Astronymus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 am

Reminds me of those impacts on Jupiter. But those wouldn't rotate, I guess.
» Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. But then later there's running and... and screaming. «

NHcycler

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by NHcycler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:28 am

Boomer12k wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 am

See PICS!!! First images THIS YEAR...
Congrats, Boomer!

Yes, we can all look up and wonder at amazingly clear and detailed images taken with the most advanced equipment. But looking at your photos, shot from your back yard, brings me back to the first time I was able to see Jupiter through a telescope.

Thanks!

NHcycler

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by NHcycler » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am

I see a sci-fi novel inspired by today's APOD. It should be titled "Journey to the Center of Jupiter." ;-)

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 am

Climate change on Jupiter? :mrgreen: Just kidding :wink: :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16088
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
NHcycler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 am

I see a sci-fi novel inspired by today's APOD. It should be titled "Journey to the Center of Jupiter." ;-)
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16088
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spot_(Treasure_Island) wrote:
The Black Spot is a literary device invented by Robert Louis Stevenson for his novel Treasure Island (serialized 1881–82, published as a book in 1883). In the book, pirates are presented with a "black spot" to officially pronounce a verdict of guilt or judgement. It consists of a circular piece of paper or card, with one side blackened while the other side bears a message and placed in the hand of the accused. It was a source of much fear because it meant the pirate was to be deposed as leader, by force if necessary—or else killed outright. In Treasure Island, Billy Bones is much frightened by it but remains determined to outwit his enemies; however, he suffers a stroke caused by the overconsumption of liquor and is killed by the blind beggar (Pew). Later Long John Silver receives the spot, but is calm enough to notice that the paper bearing the spot has been torn out from a Bible, and warns his associates of the bad luck this will bring upon them.

The black spot was cut from a Bible, and the words on the black of the black spot were spookily from Revelation, like an allusion to the beast's mark and judgement day i.e. Chapter 29: "It was around about the size of a crown piece. One side was blank, for it had been the last leaf; the other contained a verse or two of Revelation--these words among the rest, which struck sharply home upon my mind: "Without are dogs and murderers." The printed side had been blackened with wood ash, which already began to come off and soil my fingers; on the blank side had been written with the same material the one word "Depposed".

The origin of Stevenson's Black Spot might be in the historical tradition of Caribbean pirates of showing an Ace of Spades to a person condemned as traitor or informer. The card was putting the person dangerously "on the spot", as the ace bears a single pip.>>
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9621
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Boomer12k wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:10 am
It is a wonderful coincidence!

This is a very awesome close up of the clouds, and the dark area is certainly interesting...it reminds me of the "EYE WALL" in a Hurricane. I wonder if it is really hollow, or if it is some darker material as we see in some of the other swirly areas.

It very much reminds me of Mandelbrot and swirling "Julia" sets...

Just so happens, I had come in from a brief time with my scope and Jupiter!!!

I was out and got a picture of Jupiter as tomorrow it is at its closest to Earth, this was still Sunday night, but around midnight...but I am not sure of the weather...so I got out and was lucky...it was very nice today, and the high cirrus clouds moved off...

See PICS!!! First images THIS YEAR...

All are with my Celestron Evolution 6"
The more yellow one...Top...is with my Meade LP color camera, the others are with my Zwo 120 color camera.
At 4 fps...150 frames...best 50 frames, stacked with Registax 6.

I rarely have color in the middle...I did turn up the Saturation on the top image...that camera likes to have more yellow for some reason... not so with the Zwo...

The bottom one has the best focus I think...

:---[===] *
Very nice! I can see the Great Red Spot and at least two moons.

Ann
Color Commentator

gps35n

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by gps35n » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Black spot may be looking down into lower levels of the atmosphere where the dense clouds at the highest levels create a dark and shady intermediate zone. It just registers darker than the brilliant sunlit upper cloud tops; there appears to be some structure down there but one would need an enlarged photo. Perhaps centrifugal force just spun an opening in the uppermost cloud tops allowing us to briefly peer into the lower levels.

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 9621
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by Ann » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Off topic, but Jupiter's Great Red Spot may be undergoing some dramatic changes right now.

https://astronomynow.com/2019/06/06/obs ... -red-spot/

Ann
Color Commentator

nebosite
Asternaut
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:27 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by nebosite » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Anyone know the diameter of the Abyss?

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16088
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:52 pm

nebosite wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Anyone know the diameter of the Abyss?
I'd estimate around 800 km in diameter.

https://safr.kingfeatures.com/api/img.p ... UzNi5naWY=
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
AVAO
Ensign
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by AVAO » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Ann wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Off topic, but Jupiter's Great Red Spot may be undergoing some dramatic changes right now.

https://astronomynow.com/2019/06/06/obs ... -red-spot/

Ann
You're right. The pictures look dramatic.

But with Heraclitus: "The only constant in the universe is change!"


User avatar
AVAO
Ensign
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 12:24 pm
AKA: multiwavelength traveller
Location: Zurich

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by AVAO » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:24 pm

AVAO wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm
Ann wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Off topic, but Jupiter's Great Red Spot may be undergoing some dramatic changes right now.

https://astronomynow.com/2019/06/06/obs ... -red-spot/

Ann
You're right. The pictures look dramatic.

But with Heraclitus: "The only constant in the universe is change!"
God does not play dice. But he likes geometry...
top left: At the north pole of the planet Jupiter, eight cyclones orbiting a central cyclone. NASA Juno probe
bottom left: The Great Red Spot without distortion due to the rotation
bottom right: Jupiter's infrared light

top right:
"This animation illustrates Jupiter's magnetic field at a single moment in time. The Great Blue Spot, an-invisible-to-the-eye concentration of magnetic field near the equator, stands out as a particularly strong feature. The gray lines (called field lines) show the field's direction in space, and the deepness of the color corresponds to the strength of the magnetic field (with dark red and dark blue for regions with strongly positive and strongly negative fields, respectively).

The animation first appeared in a Sept. 5, 2018, paper in the Journal Nature."

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/archive/PIA23229.mp4

User avatar
rj rl
Ensign
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:37 am

Re: APOD: Jupiter Abyss (2019 Jun 10)

Post by rj rl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 am

The link to the next day is broken: it's /apod/ap19011.html, should be /apod/ap190611.html