Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Evenstar
Ensign
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 am

Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Evenstar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am

Noticed a couple recent APOD's with small funny shaped black "tick marks" in the upper left screen corners that are part of those page displays. Maybe I have a little to much OCD but I find these marks a little irritating and from my perspective at least unnecessary. Is there a good explanation to satisfy?
<Evenstar>

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14422
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Evenstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am
Noticed a couple recent APOD's with small funny shaped black "tick marks" in the upper left screen corners that are part of those page displays. Maybe I have a little to much OCD but I find these marks a little irritating and from my perspective at least unnecessary. Is there a good explanation to satisfy?
Example?
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 16081
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by neufer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:21 pm


Chris Peterson wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Evenstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am

Noticed a couple recent APOD's with small funny shaped black "tick marks" in the upper left screen corners that are part of those page displays. Maybe I have a little to much OCD but I find these marks a little irritating and from my perspective at least unnecessary. Is there a good explanation to satisfy?
Example?
Funny "ha-ha" or funny peculiar :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Evenstar
Ensign
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 am

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Evenstar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Evenstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am
Noticed a couple recent APOD's with small funny shaped black "tick marks" in the upper left screen corners that are part of those page displays. Maybe I have a little to much OCD but I find these marks a little irritating and from my perspective at least unnecessary. Is there a good explanation to satisfy?
Example?
Okay, well, not today's. Will poke around for a previous one under the calendar or wait to see another. Thanks.
<Evenstar>

Evenstar
Ensign
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 am

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Evenstar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am

Evenstar wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Evenstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:00 am
Noticed a couple recent APOD's with small funny shaped black "tick marks" in the upper left screen corners that are part of those page displays. Maybe I have a little to much OCD but I find these marks a little irritating and from my perspective at least unnecessary. Is there a good explanation to satisfy?
Example?
Okay, well, not today's. Will poke around for a previous one under the calendar or wait to see another. Thanks.
Okay, today... (solar eclipse with birds). Sorry, I can't figure out how to imbed photo, if possible. Must use a picture sharing site and use the url to the picture? May still do that but not now--too late.

Btw, the mark isn't present in any previous Calendar pictures. It is only present on some of the APODs--not all. And for the record I'm using a MacBook Pro with Safari. I am not going to install Chrome to troubleshoot this with a different browser.

This is the closest text representation of the mark--the backwards accent mark < ` >. It is a little bigger, not as steep an angle and is tampered slightly too. :shock:
<Evenstar>

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14422
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Evenstar wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am
Evenstar wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:14 pm
Chris Peterson wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 pm
Example?
Okay, well, not today's. Will poke around for a previous one under the calendar or wait to see another. Thanks.
Okay, today... (solar eclipse with birds). Sorry, I can't figure out how to imbed photo, if possible. Must use a picture sharing site and use the url to the picture? May still do that but not now--too late.

Btw, the mark isn't present in any previous Calendar pictures. It is only present on some of the APODs--not all. And for the record I'm using a MacBook Pro with Safari. I am not going to install Chrome to troubleshoot this with a different browser.

This is the closest text representation of the mark--the backwards accent mark < ` >. It is a little bigger, not as steep an angle and is tampered slightly too. :shock:
Yes, it's an ordinary accent grave character (code 0x60) after the BODY markup. Probably a character that got inserted accidentally at some point in the past and continues to show up because of a copy-and-paste new page construction system.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Evenstar
Ensign
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:28 am

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Evenstar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Don't know what happened to the post I just made? Anyway, is this accent grave generated sometimes at my end or at APOD's end? Can I "let go of the problem"?
<Evenstar>

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 14422
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Tiny Tick Marks In Some Upper Left APOD Screens?

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Evenstar wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm
Don't know what happened to the post I just made? Anyway, is this accent grave generated sometimes at my end or at APOD's end? Can I "let go of the problem"?
It's hard coded in the HTML. Nothing you can do about it, short of writing a script of some kind to filter it out. I guess it comes down to how badly it bothers you.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com