APOD: Star Forming Region NGC 3582 without... (2019 Jul 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Star Forming Region NGC 3582 without... (2019 Jul 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:07 am

Image Star Forming Region NGC 3582 without Stars

Explanation: What's happening in the Statue of Liberty nebula? Bright stars and interesting molecules are forming and being liberated. The complex nebula resides in the star forming region called RCW 57, and besides the iconic monument, to some looks like a flying superhero or a weeping angel. By digitally removing the stars, this image showcases dense knots of dark interstellar dust, fields of glowing hydrogen gas ionized by these stars, and great loops of gas expelled by dying stars. A detailed study of NGC 3576, also known as NGC 3582 and NGC 3584, uncovered at least 33 massive stars in the end stages of formation, and the clear presence of the complex carbon molecules known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). PAHs are thought to be created in the cooling gas of star forming regions, and their development in the Sun's formation nebula five billion years ago may have been an important step in the development of life on Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Star Forming Region NGC 3582 without... (2019 Jul 30)

Post by Boomer12k » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am

Looks like a GREMLIN is grabbing her arm and trying to lift her up...

:---[===] *

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am

I find it curious that below where the Statue of Liberty is standing (I assume I have got the right image) is a narrow ledge of red and below that is an area of white blue. There is an American bald eagle flying through that area at top left part. It is a black eagle with a white head, albeit one of the wings is smaller than the other. In addition I can make out a Viking ship below that just about where the last streak of red meets the large gray area at the bottom. It looks like a cartoon viking ship with a dragon's head on the bow and shields on the side of the ship, albeit its sail is located too far back almost on the stern. (The vikings of course were first to discover America.)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:41 am

Kudos to Andy Campbell on a wonderful APOD for today! :D 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls wrote:

<<The Motherland Calls (Родина-мать зовёт!) is the compositional centre of the monument-ensemble "Heroes of the Battle of Stalingrad" on Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia. It was the tallest statue in the world in 1967. It is the tallest statue in Europe and the tallest statue (excluding pedestal) of a woman in the world.

The Motherland Calls is highly complex from an engineering point of view, due to its characteristic posture with a sword raised high in the right hand and the left hand extended in a calling gesture. The technology behind the hollow statue is based on a combination of prestressed concrete with wire ropes. The sculpture is hollow. Inside, the entire statue consists of separate cells or chambers, like rooms in a building. The concrete walls of the sculpture are 25–30 centimetres thick.

It is most likely that Vuchetich sculpted the figure from the discus thrower Nina Dumbadze, and the face from his wife Vera. The figure measures 52 metres, and the sword 33 metres. The monument weighs over 8,000 tonnes. The statue contains 5,500 tonnes of concrete and 2,400 tons of metal structures, the sword itself weighs 14 tons. Two hundred steps, symbolizing the 200 days of the Battle of Stalingrad, lead from the bottom of the hill to the monument.

In 2009, reports said the statue was leaning due to changes in groundwater level causing movement of the foundations. The statue is not fixed to its foundations and is held in place only by its weight. An anonymous official claimed that it had shifted 20 centimetres and was not expected to move much farther without collapsing.>>
Art Neuendorffer

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:10 pm

I love the bit where the Statue of Liberty walks in Ghostbusters 2.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:50 pm

NGC 3576 (as I prefer to call it) is a truly fascinating region of high mass star formation. The tremendous arcs of glowing gas speak of the extreme stellar winds, jets and birth cries of the infant stars.

NGC 3576. Photo: Andrew Campbell.
M17. Photo: Robert Gendler.

There are several similarities between NGC 3576 and M17. Both are very young regions of high mass star formation, where the infant stars blow tremendous stellar winds and expel huge amounts of the gaseous nebulas that hide them from our eyes.

Ann
Color Commentator

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 pm

De58te wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am I find it curious that below where the Statue of Liberty is standing (I assume I have got the right image) is a narrow ledge of red and below that is an area of white blue. There is an American bald eagle flying through that area ... a Viking ship ...
neufer wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 pm ... The Motherland Calls (Родина-мать зовёт!) is the compositional centre of the monument-ensemble "Heroes of the Battle of Stalingrad" on Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia ...
Great interpretations.
Capture.png
Capture1.jpg
I see the punishment of Prometheus in this. Zeus is standing on high and Prometheus is chained below him, his back to us, looking in the direction of the Eagle who is swooping in on him. The scene is beautifully lit by the stolen fire between their feet.
Mark Goldfain

mingshey
Asternaut

Post by mingshey » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 am

It struck me as the Scholatic cover art of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", flipped horizontally.