Which Ocean Will Close First?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Which Ocean Will Close First?

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Due to the movements of the Earth's tectonic plates over geologic time the Earth's oceans come and go as supercontinents breakup and then the continental fragments collide, closing the ocean that once existed between. The present collision of the Indian subcontinent with the Eurasian plate is a current example of a place where plate movements have closed part of an ocean that formerly lay between large land masses.

With the current spreading of the Atlantic Mid-Ocean Ridge the Atlantic Ocean is growing wider while the vast Pacific is slowly shrinking as the two American continents move westward, and also the Australian plate is moving northward. If these crustal motions continue eventually the mighty Pacific will be closed. An episode of of How the Earth Was Made showed a projection Australia of Australia colliding with North America. However, I've also seen predictions that somehow the explanation of the Atlantic will be reversed and North America will once again connect with north Africa.

So this leads me to the question: Which of the Earth's oceans will close next?
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Which Ocean Will Close First?

Post by Ann » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:45 am

I have no idea which ocean will close first, but a couple of years ago I saw a fantastic BBC documentary about the Earth's continents and tectonic plates. According to this documentary, the collision of two continental plates can lead to simply ginormous earthquakes and tsunamis. Similarly, the violent "pulling apart" of a land mass can also cause huge upheavals.

According to the BBC documentary, Australia and Antarctica used to be one landmass, and fossilised remnants of a tree indigenous to Australia can still be found in the ice of Antarctica.

Ever since Australia broke away from Antarctica, it has been moving north at a good clip. In the not-too-distant future, it is going to crash into Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 am

:shock: I don't have any Idea! :roll: I think the Pacific may be still stretching apart! :?:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am

There seems to be lots of animations of continental drift up to today on the web and on Youtube, though with what level of expertise they were prepared I cannot tell. Some of them project into the future as well.

Rob

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 pm

rstevenson wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am There seems to be lots of animations of continental drift up to today on the web and on Youtube, though with what level of expertise they were prepared I cannot tell. Some of them project into the future as well.

Rob
So according to those YouTube it's the Atlantic that is getting stretched! :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for the responses. Of course, no one can know for sure, since present movements can change. I just thought it might be an interesting topic.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am

neufer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.