APOD: Tumultuous Clouds of Jupiter (2020 Jan 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Tumultuous Clouds of Jupiter (2020 Jan 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:08 am

Image Tumultuous Clouds of Jupiter

Explanation: Some cloud patterns on Jupiter are quite complex. The featured tumultuous clouds were captured in May by NASA's robotic Juno spacecraft currently orbiting our Solar System's largest planet. The image was taken when Juno was only about 15,000 kilometers over Jupiter's cloud tops, so close that less than half of the giant planet is visible. The rough white clouds on the far right are high altitude clouds known as pop-up clouds. Juno's mission, now extended into 2021, is to study Jupiter in new ways. Among many other things, Juno has been measuring Jupiter's gravitational field, finding surprising evidence that Jupiter may be mostly a liquid.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Re: APOD: Tumultuous Clouds of Jupiter (2020 Jan 06)

Post by Astronymus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am

A marble. :ssmile:
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:36 am

Astronymus wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am A marble. :ssmile:
A very pretty marble!
Attachments
JupiterClouds_JunoGill_960.jpg
JupiterClouds_JunoGill_960.jpg (27.39 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am

Marble, schmarble! And the Moon is made of Green Cheese!

I'm more interested in the white clouds at about 4 o'clock, halfway in from the visible horizon.
It looks like a splash in a liquid surface, with droplets thrown upwards, but a gas surface doesn't behave like that.
What might be causing that?

John

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Marble, schmarble! And the Moon is made of Green Cheese!

I'm more interested in the white clouds at about 4 o'clock, halfway in from the visible horizon.
It looks like a splash in a liquid surface, with droplets thrown upwards, but a gas surface doesn't behave like that.

John
I'm sorry my post offended you! I hope you find the answer to your ?'s about the clouds! I happen to like the stark beauty of things in space! :shock:
Orin

jambo

Post by jambo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:46 pm

And I'm curious about the zit under the nearly central blue eye--a black spot in a perfect circle.

Tszabeau

Post by Tszabeau » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 pm

You would need a very VERY wide lens to capture more than half.

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm

I recall reading that those white clouds are partly comprised of frozen methane? Or was it a water / methane mixture? It is rather difficult NOT to notice the stark visual beauty of Jupiter before even talking about structure,etc.Is it an optical illusion that this highlighted area looks like it has more 3D dimensions?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:25 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:08 am
Explanation: The image was taken when Juno was only about 15,000 kilometers over Jupiter's cloud tops, so close that less than half of the giant planet is visible.
Tszabeau wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 pm
15,000 km above a sphere of radius 70,000 km, one observes (15/[15+70])/2 ~ 9% of the surface
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am I'm more interested in the white clouds at about 4 o'clock, halfway in from the visible horizon.
Better to think in terms of "fluid" than "gas" in understanding atmospheric and cloud dynamics. In fact, even on Earth clouds behave that way. We have similar clouds, probably resulting from similar processes.
_
index.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Tszabeau wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:33 pm You would need a very VERY wide lens to capture more than half.
Not really about the lens, though. Even from Earth there's no way to see half of Jupiter. The only way to do that would be from infinitely far away. In which case, you'd need a VERY good telephoto lens!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:37 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Marble, schmarble! And the Moon is made of Green Cheese!

John
I'm sorry my post offended you! I hope you find the answer to your ?'s about the clouds! I happen to like the stark beauty of things in space! :shock:
We should be nice to each other here at Starship Asterisk*.

Orin, I have no idea what the white clouds are, although I believe that there are people who have an idea.

Blue splotch on Jupiter.png

I'm more interested in the large blue-green splotch at upper center. Is it really blue-green in color? And why is it a different color than almost all the rest of Jupiter (although I can see a smaller blue splotch to the upper left of it)?

Questions, questions! Let's indulge each other when we ponder the mysteries of the Universe. :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:47 pm

sillyworm 2 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm
I recall reading that those white clouds are partly comprised of frozen methane? Or was it a water / methane mixture?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter#Cloud_layers wrote:
<<Jupiter is perpetually covered with clouds composed of ammonia crystals and possibly ammonium hydrosulfide. The clouds are located in the tropopause and are arranged into bands of different latitudes, known as tropical regions.

The cloud layer is only about 50 km deep, and consists of at least two decks of clouds: a thick lower deck and a thin clearer region. There may also be a thin layer of water clouds underlying the ammonia layer. Supporting the idea of water clouds are the flashes of lightning detected in the atmosphere of Jupiter. These electrical discharges can be up to a thousand times as powerful as lightning on Earth. The water clouds are assumed to generate thunderstorms in the same way as terrestrial thunderstorms, driven by the heat rising from the interior.

The orange and brown coloration in the clouds of Jupiter are caused by upwelling compounds that change color when they are exposed to ultraviolet light from the Sun. The exact makeup remains uncertain, but the substances are thought to be phosphorus, sulfur or possibly hydrocarbons. These colorful compounds, known as chromophores, mix with the warmer, lower deck of clouds. The zones are formed when rising convection cells form crystallizing ammonia that masks out these lower clouds from view.
Last edited by neufer on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:32 pm
Not really about the lens, though. Even from Earth there's no way to see half of Jupiter. The only way to do that would be from infinitely far away. In which case, you'd need a VERY good telephoto lens!
I think Tszabeau's joke was that one would need a lens wider than Jupiter itself.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:32 pm
I think Tszabeau's joke was that one would need a lens wider than Jupiter itself.
I expect that would do it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am I'm more interested in the white clouds at about 4 o'clock, halfway in from the visible horizon.
Better to think in terms of "fluid" than "gas" in understanding atmospheric and cloud dynamics. In fact, even on Earth clouds behave that way. We have similar clouds, probably resulting from similar processes.
_
index.jpg
I've heard meteorologists refer to such (growing/rising) cloud structures as "burning towers".

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks Ammonia..not methane...I should have just looked it up.

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:30 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:04 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm
JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am
I've heard meteorologists refer to such (growing/rising) cloud structures as "burning towers".
I spent years working with meteorologists and never once heard
them refer to (ice filled) cumulonimbus clouds as "burning towers".
  • ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doctor Faustus By Christopher Marlowe Scene 13

MEPHISTOPHILIS: Faustus, this, or what else thou shalt desire,
    . Shall be perform'd in twinkling of an eye.

Re-enter HELEN (of Troy).

FAUSTUS: Was this the face that launch'd a thousand ships,
    . And burnt the topless towers of Ilium —
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumulonimbus_cloud wrote:
<<Cumulonimbus (from Latin cumulus, "heaped" and nimbus, "rainstorm") is a dense, towering vertical cloud, forming from water vapor carried by powerful upward air currents. If observed during a storm, these clouds may be referred to as thunderheads. Cumulonimbus can form alone, in clusters, or along cold front squall lines. These clouds are capable of producing lightning and other dangerous severe weather, such as tornadoes and hailstones. Cumulonimbus progress from overdeveloped cumulus congestus clouds and may further develop as part of a supercell. Cumulonimbus is abbreviated Cb.

Towering cumulonimbus clouds typically reach to as much as 12 km, with extreme instances as high as 21 km or more. Well-developed cumulonimbus clouds are characterized by a flat, anvil-like top (anvil dome), caused by wind shear or inversion near the tropopause. The shelf of the anvil may precede the main cloud's vertical component for many miles, and be accompanied by lightning. Occasionally, rising air parcels surpass the equilibrium level (due to momentum) and form an overshooting top culminating at the maximum parcel level. When vertically developed, this largest of all clouds usually extends through all three cloud regions. Even the smallest cumulonimbus cloud dwarfs its neighbors in comparison.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm

I was expecting a link to more than just a cat. :(

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:50 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:30 pm
TheZuke! wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:04 pm I've heard meteorologists refer to such (growing/rising) cloud structures as "burning towers".
I spent years working with meteorologists and never once heard
them refer to (ice filled) cumulonimbus clouds as "burning towers".
I think these are more like altocumulus castellanus clouds- more of a precursor to cumulonimbus clouds (or their Jovian counterparts).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

mjimih
Science Officer
AKA: Mark

Post by mjimih » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Hi
My question is why is there so many variations is Jupiters upper clouds. Why don't they mix more thoroughly? Pure gases must be being born somehow and then wisp'ed away quicky to the top while warm. Swirling around a bit while cooling, then falling back down violently and forcefully into unforgiving vortexes to be mixed in the depths, somewhere else.

I took this turbulent cloud video last summer.
Very Jovian-like in it's unchecked instability;
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Aliens will find Earth absolutely amazingly beautiful and fragile to behold. But if they get close enough, they'll see 7,000,000,000 of us and think "Uh oh, that's a lot for such a small planet. Wonder if we should help?"

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 pm

John
No offence intended or received, orin, but a marble? This is Jupiter, the emperor of planets, not some 'alley' you might shoot knuckle down across the ring! It's like comparing Niagara Falls to a leaky tap!
John

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:58 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:36 am
Astronymus wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am A marble. :ssmile:
A very pretty marble!
JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Marble, schmarble! ...
Get 'em while they're hot:
Jupiter marble set from New Egg:
https://www.newegg.com/p/01M-0086-00013 ... lsrc=aw.ds

:D
Mark Goldfain

dlw
Ensign

Post by dlw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Jupiter's rabbit. (Well, probably just my imagination.)
Attachments
Jupiter's rabbit.png

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:46 pm

JohnD wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 pm

John
No offence intended or received, orin, but a marble? This is Jupiter, the emperor of planets, not some 'alley' you might shoot knuckle down across the ring! It's like comparing Niagara Falls to a leaky tap!
John
True, Jupiter is vastly larger than a mib; but ya gotta admit it looks like one! As far as size goes Jupiter is not even a pimple in the vast expanse of the items of the Universe! don't get me wrong; Jupiter is King of the Solar System! Earth is the prettiest marble of all! :mrgreen:
Orin