APOD: Pic du Midi Panorama (2020 Mar 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Pic du Midi Panorama (2020 Mar 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:11 am

Image Pic du Midi Panorama

Explanation: A surreal night skyscape, this panorama stitched from 12 photos looks to the west at an evening winter sky over Pic du Midi Observatory, Pyrenees Mountains, Planet Earth. Telescope domes and a tall communications tower inhabit the rugged foreground. On the right, lights from Tarbes, France about 35 kilometers away impinge on the designated dark sky site though, but more distant terrestrial lights seen toward the left are from cities in Spain. Stars and nebulae of the northern winter's Milky Way arc through the sky above. Known to the planet's night skygazers, the Pleiades and Hyades star clusters still hang over the western horizon near center. Captured in mid February the familiar stars of the constellation Orion are to the left and include the no longer fainting star Betelgeuse.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

canopia
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Pic du Midi Panorama (2020 Mar 07)

Post by canopia » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:52 am

Great panoramic picture. It should be interesting to compare this nightscape with the panorama profile generated by Peakfinder:
https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=42.9369 ... 835&cfg=sm

Tunç Tezel

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Pano_Robley2.jpg

Can't say I ever remember Orion looking so far away! :shock:
Nice photo anyhow! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

HellCat
Ensign

Post by HellCat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:21 pm

I do remember this observatory fondly because of a little known program that appeared when the series 10 OS was introduced on the mac.
For the life of me, I can't remember its name or author, but he was rather famous for creating the simulated waves in large-scale hollywood productions.
He did it as an exercise, and didn't upgrade it. So it didn't last long as the OS versions changed.
But the background was this observatory (minus the tower) and the scenery was gorgeous.

BTW - the last sentence might read better in english if it said "...no longer fading star..."

Psnarf
Science Officer

Post by Psnarf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

Does not the Dark Sky program mandate sodium lights? Is not the nearby light pollution attenuated or eliminated by sodium filters?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Psnarf wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm Does not the Dark Sky program mandate sodium lights? Is not the nearby light pollution attenuated or eliminated by sodium filters?
A lot of that light is not so nearby. And more and more of those cities are converting to LED lighting.

Sodium filters are more likely to be used by visual observers, which isn't much of a thing at Pic du Midi. Most imaging these days involves narrowband filters, which generally mitigate the impact of a lot of light pollution sources, both low pressure gas as well as most LED lighting systems.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 pm

I was struck by my ability to recognize things... Bernard's Loop, and M42 and Orion, and to the right...Taurus, and the very noticeable M45. I wondered what they were...then zoomed in... great.
Especially notable are the red hydrogen areas.

Really great image...

:---[===] *