APOD: Moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Milky Way (2020 May 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Milky Way (2020 May 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 am

Image Moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Milky Way

Explanation: It is not a coincidence that planets line up. That's because all of the planets orbit the Sun in (nearly) a single sheet called the plane of the ecliptic. When viewed from inside that plane -- as Earth dwellers are likely to do -- the planets all appear confined to a single band. It is a coincidence, though, when three of the brightest planets all appear in nearly the same direction. Such a coincidence was captured about a month ago. Featured above, Earth's Moon, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter were all imaged together, just before sunrise, from the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria. A second band is visible diagonally across this image -- the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. If you wake up early, you will find that these same planets remain visible in the morning sky this month, too.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

shaileshs
Ensign

Re: APOD: Moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Milk Way (2020 May 20)

Post by shaileshs » Wed May 20, 2020 5:09 am

Who could have identified moon in that picture without hovering mouse over the image ? I bet not a single person. Right ? I'd say chances are higher that someone would say "why/how come that human being is holding a moon in his hands ?" ;-) .. Jokes apart, I have never ever seen moon in such yellow (sunrise/sunset) colors. Has anyone of you ? Thanks in advance for all comments/reactions.

Charon

Post by Charon » Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am

I feel shailesh is missing the point. The color of the moon is obviously strange, but what is truly mind-bogling of this picture is that the direction of the reflection of the moonlight in the sea is pointing left of the person taking this picture. Imagine the changes in Quantum mechanics that would be required to explain such a phenomena . My conclusion is that either Hawking or Adobe has much to answer for.

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm

Am I correct in seeing the plane of the solar ecliptic is tilted at about a 45 degree angle from the plain of our galaxy? Would this indicate anything about the forces at work in the nebula where our system formed 4-5 billions years ago? Is it possible even to hazard a guess?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed May 20, 2020 12:06 pm

MoonPlanetsMW_Minkov_1080_annotated.jpg
Now this is gonna make a nice background photo! :D 8-)
Oh ya; I've seen the moon that color!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Charon

Post by Charon » Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 pm

I feel shailesh is missing the point. The color of the moon is obviously strange, but what is truly mind-bogling of this picture is that the direction of the reflection of the moonlight in the sea is pointing left of the person taking this picture. Imagine the changes in Quantum mechanics that would be required to explain such a phenomena . My conclusion is that either Hawking or Adobe has much to answer for.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Charon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:16 pm

...what is truly mind-bogling of this picture is that the direction of the reflection of the moonlight in the sea is pointing left of the person taking this picture. Imagine the changes in Quantum mechanics that would be required to explain such a phenomena.
A fisheye camera pointed at the ground below the man :?:
Art Neuendorffer

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 pm

An emailer pointed out that the title of the image incorrectly said "Milk Way". I have therefore added a "y" to make the name "Milky Way" on the main NASA APOD. I apologize for the typo. - RJN

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 pm

NCTom wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm Am I correct in seeing the plane of the solar ecliptic is tilted at about a 45 degree angle from the plain of our galaxy? Would this indicate anything about the forces at work in the nebula where our system formed 4-5 billions years ago? Is it possible even to hazard a guess?
The ecliptic is angled about 60° from the plane of the Milky Way. It almost certainly has no physical basis. The plane of stellar systems doesn't appear related to the galactic plane (and we have many examples now to work with).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Post by Guest » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Neufer, I thought that a line on a photo can go anywhere (=perspective), but a reflection can only point straight at you. Anyway, I love he confidence of those guys parking their white cars.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Guest wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm Hi Neufer, I thought that a line on a photo can go anywhere (=perspective), but a reflection can only point straight at you. Anyway, I love he confidence of those guys parking their white cars.
A "line of reflection" of a bright light source, as seen from the point of view from a small camera lens, would result from a set of points on the reflective surface that bounce the light back to that point. There are lots of ways to make that pattern of light have a shape different than a line that radiates from the center of the photo being captured. If the reflective surface is the top of a body of water, then wind and waves can alter the shape. Then there's distortion in the lens, etc.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... n-in-water
Mark Goldfain

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Moon, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter, Milky Way (2020 May 20)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Mihail's photo is beautiful with balanced natural colors. Beautiful sunrises must be taking place with spring, there is a certain calm of the wind and it is noted for the placidity of the waters of the Black Sea, a historical area for the passage of armies, hoards of vandals, merchant caravans, the Silk Road , but better known is for the route of the nomadic peoples who populated Asia Minor and repopulated the Russian steppes.

EmanueleBalboni
Ensign

Post by EmanueleBalboni » Thu May 21, 2020 10:56 am

MarkBour wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm
Guest wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm Hi Neufer, I thought that a line on a photo can go anywhere (=perspective), but a reflection can only point straight at you. Anyway, I love he confidence of those guys parking their white cars.
A "line of reflection" of a bright light source, as seen from the point of view from a small camera lens, would result from a set of points on the reflective surface that bounce the light back to that point. There are lots of ways to make that pattern of light have a shape different than a line that radiates from the center of the photo being captured. If the reflective surface is the top of a body of water, then wind and waves can alter the shape. Then there's distortion in the lens, etc.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... n-in-water
Thanks for pointing out that reflections could act weird event without the Photoshop intervention. I this case, I think that the tilted wide angle lens (17 mm FF) did the job.

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Thu May 21, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks, Chris, for the information.

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Thu May 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Charon, the camera is focused on Jupiter, that's why the lunar reflection seems anomalous