APOD: Dragon over Central Park (2020 Jun 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Dragon over Central Park (2020 Jun 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:05 am

Image Dragon over Central Park

Explanation: Still bathed in sunlight the International Space Station (ISS) arced through this Manhattan evening sky on May 30. Moving left to right, its bright trail was captured in this composite image with a series of 5 second long exposures. Stars left short trails and lights were reflected in still waters looking toward the north across the Central Park reservoir. Chasing the ISS in low Earth orbit the Crew Dragon spacecraft dubbed Endeavour also left a trail through that urban night. Seen about 6 hours after its launch the spacecraft's faint trail appears above the ISS, shown in the inset just as the two approached the bank of clouds at the right. Dragon Endeavour docked successfully with the ISS about nineteen hours after reaching orbit.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

k.w.jung

Re: APOD: Dragon over Central Park (2020 Jun 05)

Post by k.w.jung » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 am

universe has started 13.8 bil years ago. if it has a beginning, there must be an end. that means universe is finite. then why not other universes?

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 am

What the picture and the text don't tell us is that the Crew Dragon was a couple of minutes behind the ISS. At the time, they weren't traveling alongside each other as one might gather from the picture alone.

I actually saw these same two passes shortly before 10 pm EDT (UT-4) on May 30, 2020, from a site in Moorestown, NJ, about 75 miles southwest of Central Park. Of course visually, the ISS was a bright dot moving left-to-right while the Crew Dragon was a less-bright dot (about 2nd magnitude, roughly like Polaris) trailing it. Because of parallax, the paths I saw passed much closer to Vega, which is visible in the picture along with the other brighter stars of Lyra, to the right of the inset, in the gap between the upper sets of cloud streaks.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:46 am

SHonda_ISS-Dragon-NY-0530_1024.jpg
The Dragon with the shiny Knights! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

GeoXXXXX

Post by GeoXXXXX » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Kudos to the photographer braving Manhattan at a very dangerous time to get this great shot!

Eric

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Joe Stieber wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 am What the picture and the text don't tell us is that the Crew Dragon was a couple of minutes behind the ISS. At the time, they weren't traveling alongside each other as one might gather from the picture alone.
Thanks for explaining that [Joe Stieber],
I was wondering, "If it is only 6 hours into the flight, AND they are THAT close, why did it take another 13 hours to dock with the ISS?"
So, they had a little catching up to do, and I'm sure the folks on the ISS had some tidying up to do before their guests arrived, and I'm sure the Dragonauts didn't want to be rude and show up too early! :ssmile:

Though it may still be a bit frustrating to have the ISS "in their sights", and know it was going to take another 13 hours strapped into those seats before getting up... ("up" being a relative term here)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm

k.w.jung wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 am universe has started 13.8 bil years ago. if it has a beginning, there must be an end.
Why?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm

So, how long before I get promoted from "Science Officer" (inre: the avatar and personal info tag) to "Court Jester, Junior Grade"?
(neufer is Court Jester, First Class) B^)

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm So, how long before I get promoted from "Science Officer" (inre: the avatar and personal info tag) to "Court Jester, Junior Grade"?
From the rules page - http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26696 :

A person who posts on the Asterisk* board is immediately considered to be a (virtual) asternaut, as opposed to an astronaut. Asternaut is not misspelled -- it is the diminutive of the word astronaut. Although only a few are selected to become astronauts, anyone with a web browser can become an asternaut. After 10 posts, an asternaut is elevated to become (also) an Ensign, and after 100 posts, a Science Officer. At 500 posts, an asternaut is judged to be legally insane, and is therefore allowed to choose their own rank (within reason).

So, I guess at 500 posts you get to become whatever tickles your fancy?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:26 pm

Cloistered by the pandemic, entertainment companies, and apparently in the direction of the elderly, are projecting some archaic films in which vintage cars appear that start at full speed and when the occupants stop, they are not thrown out the front, in some scenes are seen dogs running behind the rear wheels of the vehicles that by the rarity was surprise for the dogs used to hunting vermin. This is what came to my mind when I saw the ISS and the Dragon capsule chasing it. Making a comparison IS a rarity like that of the 20'-50 'decades of the last century (T-car running and cuzco behind)

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 pm
TheZuke! wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm So, how long before I get promoted from "Science Officer" (inre: the avatar and personal info tag) to "Court Jester, Junior Grade"?
From the rules page - http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26696 :

A person who posts on the Asterisk* board is immediately considered to be a (virtual) asternaut, as opposed to an astronaut. Asternaut is not misspelled -- it is the diminutive of the word astronaut. Although only a few are selected to become astronauts, anyone with a web browser can become an asternaut. After 10 posts, an asternaut is elevated to become (also) an Ensign, and after 100 posts, a Science Officer. At 500 posts, an asternaut is judged to be legally insane, and is therefore allowed to choose their own rank (within reason).

Yes, it is based on "mileage, rather than age". Shortly after I had wasted everyone's time with 500 posts (I think I was at about 560), I was contacted about it. I even made a suggestion of a name (not very vocally, though). But instead, a subcommittee of some of the high-ranking members of the Pan-Intergalactic Council of Asternautics (interzonal NGC2718235-b) picked a name and assigned it to me. I have felt humbled and honored ever since.

... But it didn't stop me from continuing to make ill-considered posts.
Mark Goldfain

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 pm

MarkBour wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:50 pm
TheZuke! wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:47 pm
Shortly after I had wasted everyone's time with 500 posts (I think I was at about 560), I was contacted about it. I even made a suggestion of a name (not very vocally, though). But instead, a subcommittee of some of the high-ranking members of the Pan-Intergalactic Council of Asternautics (interzonal NGC2718235-b) picked a name and assigned it to me. I have felt humbled and honored ever since. ... But it didn't stop me from continuing to make ill-considered posts.
Art Neuendorffer

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 pm

k.w.jung wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:44 am universe has started 13.8 bil years ago. if it has a beginning, there must be an end. that means universe is finite. then why not other universes?
Unestablished premise, non sequitur, non sequitur, and non sequitur.

The universe as we know it began about 13.8 billion years ago. We do not know if that was the absolute beginning; and even if it were, your subsequent conclusions do not follow. You may be right, but we have no way of knowing at this time, although current evidence suggests that at least one of your conclusions (that there must be an end) is false.

APODFORIST
Ensign

Post by APODFORIST » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:06 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Joe Stieber wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 am What the picture and the text don't tell us is that the Crew Dragon was a couple of minutes behind the ISS. At the time, they weren't traveling alongside each other as one might gather from the picture alone.
Thanks for explaining that [Joe Stieber],
I was wondering, "If it is only 6 hours into the flight, AND they are THAT close, why did it take another 13 hours to dock with the ISS?"
So, they had a little catching up to do, and I'm sure the folks on the ISS had some tidying up to do before their guests arrived, and I'm sure the Dragonauts didn't want to be rude and show up too early! :ssmile:

Though it may still be a bit frustrating to have the ISS "in their sights", and know it was going to take another 13 hours strapped into those seats before getting up... ("up" being a relative term here)
The two were also given an 8-hour night's rest. They also unbuckled themselves to demonstrate somersaults and views out of the window.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Does anyone know the exposure time on the clouds? Kind of an interesting effect from that length of exposure.
Actually, I suppose the clouds were captured with the ISS, so those are "a series of 5-second exposures".
Mark Goldfain