APOD: Moon Occults Venus (2020 Jun 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Moon Occults Venus (2020 Jun 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:05 am

Image Moon Occults Venus

Explanation: It may look like Earthrise, but it's actually Venus-set. Just after sunrise two days ago, both the Moon and Venus also rose. But then the Moon overtook Venus. In the featured image sequence centered on the Moon, Venus is shown increasingly angularly close to the Moon. In the famous Earthrise image taken just over 50 years ago, the Earth was captured rising over the edge of the Moon, as seen from the Apollo 8 crew orbiting the Moon. This similar Venus-set image was taken from Earth, of course, specifically Estonia. Venus shows only a thin crescent because last week it passed nearly in front of the Sun, as seen from Earth. The Moon shows only a thin crescent because it will soon be passing directly in front of the Sun, as seen from Earth. Today, in fact, two days after this image was taken, the Moon will create a solar eclipse, with a thin swath across the Earth treated to an annular solar eclipse.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

A vent

Re: APOD: Moon Occults Venus (2020 Jun 21)

Post by A vent » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:19 am

Reminds me to narfel the Garthog. Coneheads, a great part of our culture and heritage.

scr33d
Ensign

Post by scr33d » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 am

A refreshingly stark image that clearly contrasts the albedo of Venus (0.75) vs the moon (0.12).
(APOD is suffused with so many photoshopped, cut-and-paste, "enhanced", and physically impossible images that belong on facebook, not on an astronomy site.)

Costello

Post by Costello » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:26 am

Wait a minute : if the Moon rised after the Sun, it means it has already passed the Sun-Earth line... how could it éclipse the Sun two days later?

Thierry Legault
Ensign

Post by Thierry Legault » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am

very nice picture!

I have a question about image submission: in today's page I see a link to FB and the "Notable images of the Venus - Mooon conjunction of 2020 June submitted to APOD"
https://www.facebook.com/pg/APOD.Sky/ph ... 3196624549

Are they automatically selected from this forum or is there something to do to submit them also to the FB page?
Thanks

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:15 am

VenusSet_Kananovich_1000.jpg
Venus shows a lot of clarity in this photo!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Costello wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:26 am
Wait a minute : if the Moon [rose] after the Sun, it means it has already passed the Sun-Earth line...
how could it éclipse the Sun two days later?
The picture is upside down.

The Moon rose slowly... then Venus rose and appeared to overtake & pass behind the Moon.

Technically: the Moon occults Venus.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:23 pm

scr33d wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 am A refreshingly stark image that clearly contrasts the albedo of Venus (0.75) vs the moon (0.12).
It is only because they are so very close in intensity- extremely rare in astronomical images- that a linear image like this is possible.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 pm

scr33d wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 am
A refreshingly stark image that clearly contrasts the albedo of Venus (0.75) vs the moon (0.12).
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:49 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 pm
scr33d wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 am
Does that matter for this image?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Thierry Legault wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am very nice picture!

I have a question about image submission: in today's page I see a link to FB and the "Notable images of the Venus - Mooon conjunction of 2020 June submitted to APOD"

Are they automatically selected from this forum or is there something to do to submit them also to the FB page?
Thanks
I can't answer your question, but thanks for making me click through to that site! Some amazingly beautiful images there, like for example, this 8.5 hour exposure of The lagoon Nebula (M8): https://www.facebook.com/APOD.Sky/photo ... 2833653258. But then, using the left and right scroll buttons you soon find that each image is more amazing than the last! And I actually find this easier to browse through - though less educational - than the APOD site.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Thierry Legault wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am very nice picture!

Thanks

As far as I know, the images on APOD Sky on FB come from submissions to Robert and/or Jerry, or those posted to the Submissions page here. I think Robert is the admin there (or perhaps one of his graduate assistants).
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 pm

neufer wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 pm
Costello wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:26 am
Wait a minute : if the Moon [rose] after the Sun, it means it has already passed the Sun-Earth line...
how could it éclipse the Sun two days later?
The picture is upside down.

The Moon rose slowly... then Venus rose and appeared to overtake & pass behind the Moon.

Technically: the Moon occults Venus.
Actually, the picture is rotated about 90° clockwise from a direct view (e.g., as seen with binoculars or unaided eyes) at the photographer's location in Estonia when the occultation started around 12:15 pm local summer time (08:18 is stated on his Astrobin page, which must be UT), about 8 hours after the moon, and then Venus, rose a little before 4:30 am local time (they were about 4° apart when rising). The occultation began about 8 hr later, so 4°divided by 8 hr = 0.5°/hr, the well-known nominal rate of the moon's eastward motion against the background sky, which is also about one moon diameter per hour. Since it was close to noon and the objects in question would be near the meridian, the movement of the apparent sky in that area would be essentially horizontal, left-to-right (east-to-west), with the moon moving a bit slower in its inexorable march eastward.

The APOD text is poorly worded, suggesting the moon and Venus rose just after sunrise and "Venus is shown increasingly angularly" close to the moon (whatever that means). Indeed, as Costello indicated, there's a definite inconsistency with the stated rising shortly after the sun in view of the impending solar eclipse (new moon). I think there was too much of an effort to make today's APOD imitate the "Earthrise" image. This is a fine image in its own right (and would be even better if shown in a correct orientation). Finally, there's no rising or setting of Venus with respect to the moon from our earthly viewpoint as Neufer noted.