APOD: Comet NEOWISE Rising over the Sea... (2020 Jul 13)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Comet NEOWISE Rising over the Sea... (2020 Jul 13)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 am

Image Comet NEOWISE Rising over the Adriatic Sea

Explanation: This sight was worth getting out of bed early. Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) has been rising before dawn during the past week to the delight of northern sky enthusiasts awake that early. Up before sunrise, the featured photographer was able to capture in dramatic fashion one of the few comets visible to the unaided eye this century, an inner-Solar System intruder that might become known as the Great Comet of 2020. The resulting video details Comet NEOWISE from Italy rising over the Adriatic Sea. The time-lapse video combines over 240 images taken over 30 minutes. The comet is seen rising through a foreground of bright and undulating noctilucent clouds, and before a background of distant stars. Comet NEOWISE has remained unexpectedly bright, so far, with its ion and dust tails found to emanate from a nucleus spanning about five kilometers across. Fortunately, starting tonight, northern observers with a clear and dark northwestern horizon should be able to see the sun-reflecting interplanetary snowball just after sunset.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Re: APOD: Comet NEOWISE Rising over the Sea... (2020 Jul 13)

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:43 am

It is like a fountain in the sky... just awesome...

:---[===] *

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Oh Neowise; Oh Neowise!
We'll see you in the evening skies.
When the Sun sets for the night;
You'll give off your lovely light! :wink: 🌠
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 am Image Comet NEOWISE Rising over the Adriatic Sea

Explanation: This sight was worth getting out of bed early. Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) has been rising before dawn during the past week to the delight of northern sky enthusiasts awake that early. Up before sunrise, the featured photographer was able to capture in dramatic fashion one of the few comets visible to the unaided eye this century, an inner-Solar System intruder that might become known as the Great Comet of 2020. The resulting video details Comet NEOWISE from Italy rising over the Adriatic Sea. The time-lapse video combines over 240 images taken over 30 minutes. The comet is seen rising through a foreground of bright and undulating noctilucent clouds, and before a background of distant stars. Comet NEOWISE has remained unexpectedly bright, so far, with its ion and dust tails found to emanate from a nucleus spanning about five kilometers across. Fortunately, starting tonight, northern observers with a clear and dark northwestern horizon should be able to see the sun-reflecting interplanetary snowball just after sunset.
This comet is pretty spectacular I suppose, but I have to say I'm getting a little worried. Anyone here good at cometomancy? Does NEOWISE portend a quick end to the COVID-19 pandemic, or instead, prolonged misery for humanity?

John - looking forward to some APODs about galaxies for a change :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:41 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm
This comet is pretty spectacular I suppose, but I have to say I'm getting a little worried. Anyone here good at cometomancy? Does NEOWISE portend a quick end to the COVID-19 pandemic, or instead, prolonged misery for humanity?
The COVID-19 pandemic can't be left to cometomancy pseudo-science :!:

Such serious issues require careful analysis by experts such as Chuck Woolery:
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-retweets-chuck-woolery-coronavirus-cdc-lies-schools-1517330 wrote:
Newsweek, Trump Retweets Chuck Woolery

<<Talk and game show host Chuck Woolery has sparked anger over a tweet in which he claims Democrats, doctors, and others are lying about COVID-19—but President Donald Trump agrees with him.

The television personality of Wheel of Fortune fame has caused ire on social media for his views on the pandemic, which contradict those of the CDC. The 79-year-old took to the social media platform on Monday to condemn what he calls "outrageous lies" in a tweet that was retweeted by the President.

"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying," he said. "The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it." Woolery also tweeted in support of schools reopening later this year, posting: "There is so much evidence, yes scientific evidence, that schools should open this fall. It's worldwide and it's overwhelming. BUT NO."

Trump also retweeted this one, in agreement with Woolery's stance on why schools should reopen.

Under the current guidelines, the CDC recommends schools enforce social distancing rules, which some have said are not possible in a school setting. This week, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said schools should reopen and deal with virus flare-ups on a case-by-case basis. DeVos told CNN: "Kids need to be in school. They need to be learning, they need to be moving ahead. And we cannot be paralyzed." She added: "Where there are little flare-ups or hotspots, that can be dealt with on a school-by-school or a case-by-case basis."

Woolery's comments have angered many Twitter users who feel the CDC's advice should be adhered to. One Twitter user tweed: "Hi Chuck, my dad and I used to watch your shows together. My dad was a lifelong Republican. He died of COVID-19 a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the election. I'm heartsick about it, too."

The talk show host has also many people agreeing with his stance, including the President of the United States.

Woolery also added: "These slimy Bureaucrats are smelling like south end of a north bound mule." And: "Get this, California teachers unions say, If you don't defund the police we won't teach? Really? Give us what we want or we'll burn down the system. Where have I heard that before? Oh, Black Lives Matter leader In New York, that's where.">>
https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Springfield_Observatory wrote:
<<The Springfield Observatory came to prominence when it was alerted to a comet (discovered by and named for Bart) hurtling towards Springfield. After the disaster was averted, Moe and a large group of survivors decided to burn down the observatory, so that "This'll never happen again!".>>
Last edited by neufer on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm This comet is pretty spectacular I suppose, but I have to say I'm getting a little worried. Anyone here good at cometomancy? Does NEOWISE portend a quick end to the COVID-19 pandemic, or instead, prolonged misery for humanity?
Comets portend disaster. This one is clearly running a good four years late.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:41 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm
The COVID-19 pandemic can't be left to cometomancy pseudo-science :!:

Such serious issues require careful analysis by experts such as Chuck Woolery:
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-retweets-chuck-woolery-coronavirus-cdc-lies-schools-1517330 wrote:
Newsweek, Trump Retweets Chuck Woolery

<<Talk and game show host Chuck Woolery has sparked anger over a tweet in which he claims Democrats, doctors, and others are lying about COVID-19—but President Donald Trump agrees with him.

The television personality of Wheel of Fortune fame has caused ire on social media for his views on the pandemic, which contradict those of the CDC. The 79-year-old took to the social media platform on Monday to condemn what he calls "outrageous lies" in a tweet that was retweeted by the President.

"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying," he said. "The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it." Woolery also tweeted in support of schools reopening later this year, posting: "There is so much evidence, yes scientific evidence, that schools should open this fall. It's worldwide and it's overwhelming. BUT NO."

Trump also retweeted this one, in agreement with Woolery's stance on why schools should reopen.
Yeah, I heard about Woolery. Just another idjit with a bigger soapbox than brain.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm This comet is pretty spectacular I suppose, but I have to say I'm getting a little worried. Anyone here good at cometomancy? Does NEOWISE portend a quick end to the COVID-19 pandemic, or instead, prolonged misery for humanity?
Comets portend disaster. This one is clearly running a good four years late.
Let's hope so. (Of course I know that the only way a comet can affect the course of humanity is if it collides with the earth, or if it's sighting causes self-fulfilling actions due to beliefs about what it means.)
--

joe smith

Post by joe smith » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Nice video, can some one tell me if this thing will be in the morning or evening sky for north american viewing around the 19th july?
Thanks

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm

joe smith wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:03 pm Nice video, can some one tell me if this thing will be in the morning or evening sky for north american viewing around the 19th july?
Thanks
Look to the northwest after sunset on that date. Right now it's both a morning and evening object, but marginal for both. It is increasingly shifting to an evening object.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NateWhilk
Ensign

Post by NateWhilk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Absolutely stunning, gorgeous pictures and video! Bravississimo, Paolo!

Andramax

Post by Andramax » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:23 am

Siema chłopaki!

NHcycler

Post by NHcycler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:47 am

Andramax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:23 amSiema chłopaki!
Comets!