Best objects to view through a home telescope

The cosmos at our fingertips.
zeecatman
Ensign

Best objects to view through a home telescope

Post by zeecatman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey all,

I've had a passive interest in backyard astronomy for a while now, and I just recently decided to do some research and invest in a telescope -- namely the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Dobsonian.

I'm super excited! My parents have always had a 4.5" Newtonian that has served us well, but I'm thinking that with the convenient mount and almost double the diameter, I'll be able to view all sorts of objects I couldn't view before, and in higher resolution. But that brings me to my question: What objects, specifically extrasolar, are the best for viewing through a small telescope? Also, what objects are easier to view in one's own backyard (with moderate light pollution), as opposed to dark-sky viewing? Are there any good resources for this?

Thanks!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Re: Best objects to view through a home telescope

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 am

zeecatman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm Hey all,

I've had a passive interest in backyard astronomy for a while now, and I just recently decided to do some research and invest in a telescope -- namely the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Dobsonian.

I'm super excited! My parents have always had a 4.5" Newtonian that has served us well, but I'm thinking that with the convenient mount and almost double the diameter, I'll be able to view all sorts of objects I couldn't view before, and in higher resolution. But that brings me to my question: What objects, specifically extrasolar, are the best for viewing through a small telescope? Also, what objects are easier to view in one's own backyard (with moderate light pollution), as opposed to dark-sky viewing? Are there any good resources for this?

Thanks!
The magazine Sky and Telescope was my go to reference back when I had a scope.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

zeecatman
Ensign

Post by zeecatman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 am The magazine Sky and Telescope was my go to reference back when I had a scope.
Their website is indeed a very nice reference for all sorts of observable objects! After browsing, I've already written down a few that I'd like to try observing. Thanks for the recommendation.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:05 pm

zeecatman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 am
BDanielMayfield wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 am The magazine Sky and Telescope was my go to reference back when I had a scope.
Their website is indeed a very nice reference for all sorts of observable objects! After browsing, I've already written down a few that I'd like to try observing. Thanks for the recommendation.
Your welcome zeecatman.

There is a "What did you see in the sky tonight" thread in this forum also. We would like to here about your observations if you would care to share them with our group.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

zeecatman
Ensign

Post by zeecatman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:05 pm Your welcome zeecatman.

There is a "What did you see in the sky tonight" thread in this forum also. We would like to here about your observations if you would care to share them with our group.
Absolutely! I'd love to see what everyone's been viewing.

zeecatman
Ensign

Post by zeecatman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:02 am

In case anyone looking to buy a telescope comes across this thread, I thought it'd be useful to share this post on Stargazers Lounge I came across recently as well:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1962 ... ct-to-see/

It not only has a fantastic explanation of apparent magnitude and surface brightness that helped me to understand what I can view here in the suburbs, but includes pictures which from my experience are very accurate to what one might see when viewing the most popular sky objects through a telescope. It also makes me all the more excited to get to view the Orion Nebula once the hunstman comes out in the fall. :ssmile: