APOD: Yogi And Friends In 3D (2020 Aug 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Yogi And Friends In 3D (2020 Aug 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 am

Image Yogi And Friends In 3D

Explanation: From July of 1997, a ramp from the Pathfinder lander, the Sojourner robot rover, airbags, a couch, Barnacle Bill and Yogi Rock appear together in this 3D stereo view of the surface of Mars. Barnacle Bill is the rock just left of the solar-paneled Sojourner. Yogi is the big friendly-looking boulder at top right. The "couch" is the angular rock shape visible near center on the horizon. Look at the image with red/blue glasses (or just hold a piece of clear red plastic over your left eye and blue or green over your right) to get the dramatic 3D perspective. The stereo view was recorded by the remarkable Imager for Mars Pathfinder (IMP) camera. The IMP had two optical paths for stereo imaging and ranging and was equipped with an array of color filters for spectral analysis. Operating as the first astronomical observatory on Mars, the IMP also recorded images of the Sun and Deimos, the smallest of Mars' two tiny moons. This July saw the launch of NASA's Mars Perseverance Rover on a mission to the Red Planet.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Yogi And Friends In 3D (2020 Aug 22)

Post by Ann » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 am

I won't mince words here.

I used to have red/blue glasses. I didn't like looking through them. They gave me a bit of a headache. I've lost my red/blue glasses, and I don't miss them.

I'm unhappy with APODs that require red/blue glasses.

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks, Ann, I agree! I did search, and did find, my red/blue glasses: but, you aren't missing anything...

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:28 am

I disagree with the above. Previously on the flat images I just thought that was a photograph of a hill. I missed something with the 3D glasses. Just behind the large flat rock in the centre seems to be a cliff dropping off into a valley. So there are two hills, possibly three hills, because at top right seems to be a second hill ending into the valley just a bit to the right of the flat rock, thereby making the hill that the distant 'Couch' is on the third hill in view. And I don't seem to get a headache. I get headache more so with the similar 3D images, (I forget what they are called), but they are usually a mess of squiggly lines and you are supposed to see a 3D image by training your eyes to look several feet through the image as if it was a window beyond the sheet of paper.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:41 pm

A long, long time ago: I can still remember; Walmart was giving away free glasses for some 3-D flick coming to the local theaters! I took home a couple! I still use them! What a great investment that was! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 am I won't mince words here.

I used to have red/blue glasses. I didn't like looking through them. They gave me a bit of a headache. I've lost my red/blue glasses, and I don't miss them.

Not my preferred way of viewing 3D images, either. Here's the image decomposed into stereo pairs.
_
Cross eyed:
mars10_st_path_crossed.jpg
_
Parallel eyed:
mars10_st_path_straight.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm

I ask if it is normal to see 3D in black and white (I have both eyes in cataract surgery)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm I ask if it is normal to see 3D in black and white (I have both eyes in cataract surgery)
Stereo pairs that are presented in color should appear with color when viewed as 3D. Anaglyphs, for most people, kind of bounce between red/cyan and B&W. Usually after a few seconds of viewing your brain sort of rejects the two color channels and the image appears more-or-less B&W.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:33 pm
Ann wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 am
I used to have red/blue glasses. I didn't like looking through them. They gave me a bit of a headache. I've lost my red/blue glasses, and I don't miss them. I'm unhappy with APODs that require red/blue glasses.
Not my preferred way of viewing 3D images, either. Here's the image decomposed into stereo pairs.
_
Cross eyed:

• Prepare yourself for a lawsuit, Mr. Peterson:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:00 pm

_
Cross eyed:
_
Parallel eyed:
So are these supposed to be viewable in 3D somehow with or without special glasses? I can't manage to do it (though I don't have 3D glasses). I'd love to see a version of this 3D APOD in "Magic Eye" format - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Eye, though I'm sure much detail will be lost.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:00 pm

_
Cross eyed:
_
Parallel eyed:
So are these supposed to be viewable in 3D somehow with or without special glasses? I can't manage to do it (though I don't have 3D glasses). I'd love to see a version of this 3D APOD in "Magic Eye" format - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Eye, though I'm sure much detail will be lost.
Stereo pairs are how 3D images are normally presented in scientific publications. Most people can view them, but it takes a little practice to decouple the direction your eyes are pointing from your focusing. You can also get little viewers that make it easy. Like red/blue glasses, you still have to have them on hand, of course, but they allow for higher resolution viewing as well a viewing of color images.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:07 pm
Stereo pairs are how 3D images are normally presented in scientific publications. Most people can view them, but it takes a little practice to decouple the direction your eyes are pointing from your focusing. You can also get little viewers that make it easy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdy_Doody wrote:
<<Howdy Doody is an American children's television program (with circus and Western frontier themes) that was created and produced by E. Roger Muir and telecast on the NBC network in the United States from December 27, 1947, until September 24, 1960. One of the first television series produced at NBC in Rockefeller Center, in Studio 3A, it was also a pioneer in early color production as NBC (at the time owned by TV maker RCA) used the show in part to sell color television sets in the 1950s.

A distinctive feature was the Peanut Gallery, onstage bleachers seating about 40 children. Each show began with Buffalo Bob asking, "Say kids, what time is it?" and the kids yelling in unison, "It's Howdy Doody Time!" Then the kids sang the show's theme song (set to the tune of "Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay"):
  • It's Howdy Doody time,
    It's Howdy Doody time,
    Bob Smith and Howdy, too,
    Say "Howdy do" to you.
    Let's give a rousing cheer
    ’Cause Howdy Doody's here.
    It's time to start the show
    So kids, let's go!

It was, thus, one of the first television shows with audience participation as a major component.

In many of the 1949–1954 episodes released on DVD by Mill Creek Entertainment in 2008, the children also can be heard singing jingles for commercial breaks, with Buffalo Bob or Howdy leading them and the lyrics appearing on screen. Colgate toothpaste, Halo Shampoo, 3 Musketeers candy bars and Poll Parrot Shoes are among the products advertised this way, as well as series-long sponsor Wonder Bread.

The popularity of Howdy Doody and its Peanut Gallery led executives at United Features Syndicate to use the name Peanuts for syndication of Charles M. Schulz's Li'l Folks comic strip, reportedly to the lifelong chagrin of Schulz.>>
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:39 pm

_
Cross eyed:
_
Parallel eyed:
Stereo pairs are how 3D images are normally presented in scientific publications. Most people can view them, but it takes a little practice to decouple the direction your eyes are pointing from your focusing. You can also get little viewers that make it easy. Like red/blue glasses, you still have to have them on hand, of course, but they allow for higher resolution viewing as well a viewing of color images.
I'm trying but all I get is a headache. Is the goal to have the two images merge visually? Focus off in the distance first? Does it matter what size the images are? How far away should the images be? (I can view Magic Eye images just fine.)
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:49 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:39 pm

I'm trying but all I get is a headache. Is the goal to have the two images merge visually? Focus off in the distance first? Does it matter what size the images are? How far away should the images be? (I can view Magic Eye images just fine.)
Magic Eye images are normally constructed for parallel eye viewing. The approach to viewing a stereo pair is the same- you relax your eyes to look "through" the pair of images until they merge, allowing them to be out of focus. Once they merge, you can usually then adjust your focus.

For small image pairs, crossed or parallel work equally well, depending on the person. But while most people can cross their eyes, very few can look outwards with both at the same time. So when viewing larger images, crossed-eyes work better. You cross your eyes until the images merge, again not worrying about focus, and once they're merged, you fix the focus. Merging usually produces a kind of "lock" (you get that with Magic Eye images, too, where everything wiggles around and then the merger snaps into place and is easy to hold). Once you're locked, you can, well, focus on focus.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Magic Eye images give me a headache

The presented image are already about the width of your eyes apart.

Put your face about 9 inches from the screen,
relax and look forward until you see:
One central image between two blurry images.

Parallel eyed:

Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:04 pm

neufer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Parallel eyed:

Mechanically, when you are cross-eyed your visual system is primed for looking at something close, and when you are parallel-eyed you are looking at something in the distance. So it's a good idea to start as close to the images as you can comfortably focus when using the crossed pair, and as far away as possible when using the parallel pair. That makes your eye position and focus position most compatible (assuming anybody in this forum is still young enough to be able to accommodate...)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

billh
Asternaut

Post by billh » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:26 am

Thanks for the non-stereo images!

(Although I did use Irfanview to zero out the red and convert the remainder to gray before I found your message.)

I would like it if the editors would always include with a stereo image, an image that those of us who are monocular could quickly enjoy.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:04 pm
neufer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Parallel eyed:

Mechanically, when you are cross-eyed your visual system is primed for looking at something close, and when you are parallel-eyed you are looking at something in the distance. So it's a good idea to start as close to the images as you can comfortably focus when using the crossed pair, and as far away as possible when using the parallel pair. That makes your eye position and focus position most compatible (assuming anybody in this forum is still young enough to be able to accommodate...)
Thanks Chris (and Neufer). I can get the two images to partially overlap easily, but I can't get it to focus. I'll keep trying!
--

DonB312
Ensign

Post by DonB312 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 am

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm Thanks Chris (and Neufer). I can get the two images to partially overlap easily, but I can't get it to focus. I'll keep trying!
I used the cross-eye image and slowly crossed my eyes until I saw 3 images. Then I concentrated on the center image and it popped into focus. Depending on the size of the images on the screen and your distance from the screen it may not take as much eye crossing as you think. The more you practice, the easier it gets. Once you see the 3D image this way it is quite rewarding so don't give up. :ssmile:

P.S. Thank you Chris for providing those images!
Don

evenstrider

Post by evenstrider » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:01 am

I found my red and green glasses, and the visual effect is great. I am seeing an unusual artifact though -- there are "notches" in the first hill, through which one can see the next hill. There are some vertical lines in the image without glasses, but the notches are a surprising artifact. I suppose it is where different scans have been joined ... I came here to see if anybody else saw the effect.

daddyo
Science Officer

Post by daddyo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:17 am

Thanks Chris (again)