APOD: Visualization: A Black Hole Disk... (2020 Aug 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: Visualization: A Black Hole Disk... (2020 Aug 25)

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 am

johnnydeep wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:24 pm Cool! And based on that, I gather that the Kuiper Belt is concentrated enough to interact hydrodynamically - acting like a liquid? - and therefor become disk-like. I need to take a physics course...
Not anymore. Its structure is a remnant of the motion of the accretion disc that most of the bodies interior to the Oort Cloud formed from. That disc is no longer present, but its plane remains evident.
Ok, neat. But maybe the relativistic frame-dragging at least helps? Intuitively, it seems like it would - though I know intuition often fails - mine especially - in explaining relativity, and quantum mechanics :ssmile:
Well, as I noted, I'm not sure what effect that plays in the special case of the accretion disc around a black hole. Only that if we have material orbiting any massive body at different inclinations, it will always settle to a disc if the density is high enough to result lots of collisions.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:22 pm

neufer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm
Thanks neufer, and especially for your always very well-formatted posts, even if sometimes I have to try real hard to follow your occasionally non-sequitur train of thought :)
It is my primary goal to drag *Asternauts into my large Egosphere and set their head a spinning.
The truth is revealed :!:
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:22 pm
neufer wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:28 pm
Thanks neufer, and especially for your always very well-formatted posts, even if sometimes I have to try real hard to follow your occasionally non-sequitur train of thought :)
It is my primary goal to drag *Asternauts into my large Egosphere and set their head a spinning.
The truth is revealed :!:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2566/2566-h/2566-h.htm wrote:
  • HOW TO FAIL IN LITERATURE: A LECTURE BY ANDREW LANG (31 March 1844 – 20 July 1912)
<<So much for style, of which it may generally be said that you cannot be too obscure, unnatural, involved, vulgar, slipshod, and metaphorical. See to it that your metaphors are mixed, though, perhaps, this attention is hardly needed. The free use of parentheses, in which a reader gets lost, and of unintelligible allusions, and of references to unread authors—the Kalevala and Lycophron, and the Scholiast on Apollonius Rhodius, is invaluable to this end. So much for manner, and now for matter.

The young author generally writes because he wants to write, either for money, from vanity, or in mere weariness of empty hours and anxiety to astonish his relations. This is well, he who would fail cannot begin better than by having nothing to say. The less you observe, the less you reflect, the less you put yourself in the paths of adventure and experience, the less you will have to say, and the more impossible will it be to read your work.
>>
Art Neuendorffer