APOD: Salt Water Remnants on Ceres (2020 Sep 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Salt Water Remnants on Ceres (2020 Sep 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:05 am

[img]https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/calendar/S_200901.jpg[/img] Salt Water Remnants on Ceres

Explanation: Does Ceres have underground pockets of water? Ceres, the largest asteroid in the asteroid belt, was thought to be composed of rock and ice. At the same time, Ceres was known to have unusual bright spots on its surface. These bright spots were clearly imaged during Dawn's exciting approach in 2015. Analyses of Dawn images and spectra indicated that the bright spots arise from the residue of highly-reflective salt water that used to exist on Ceres' surface but evaporated. Recent analysis indicates that some of this water may have originated from deep inside Ceres, indicating Ceres to be a kindred spirit with several Solar System moons, also thought to harbor deep water pockets. The featured video shows in false-color pink the bright evaporated brine named Cerealia Facula in Occator Crater. In 2018, the mission-successful but fuel-depleted Dawn spacecraft was placed in a distant parking orbit, keeping it away from the Ceres' surface for at least 20 years to avoid interfering with any life that might there exist.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Salt Water Remnants on Ceres (2020 Sep 01)

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:11 am

Well, people, I unravelled yesterday's APOD video for you. :D

This time I leave the unravelling to you! :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:22 am

Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

A vent

Post by A vent » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 am

Erbium?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:33 am

A vent wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 amErbium?
Wikipedia wrote:

Erbium is a chemical element with the symbol Er and atomic number 68. A silvery-white solid metal when artificially isolated, natural erbium is always found in chemical combination with other elements. It is a lanthanide, a rare earth element, originally found in the gadolinite mine in Ytterby in Sweden, from which it got its name.

Erbium's principal uses involve its pink-colored Er3+ ions, which have optical fluorescent properties particularly useful in certain laser applications.
APOD Robot wrote:

The featured video shows in false-color :( pink the bright evaporated brine
Ann
Color Commentator

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Responding to some email, the NASA APOD text has now been slightly edited to refer to Ceres, at least once, as a dwarf planet. - RJN

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:29 pm

I wish they would call all planets as planets! or quite calling giants as planets! David and Goliath! We still call midgets and giants as people! Or do we? The asteroids are planetoids actually! We shouldn't be so prejudiced! Really! Too bad if kids have to remember more names of planets! I'll bet the kids would love to have Pluto back as a full fledged planet! 😡
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:25 pm

This mineral deposit dome on Ceres reminds me of something similar here on Earth: The immense mound of mineral deposits at Mammoth hot springs in Yellowstone National Park, USA. On Ceres the cause was the impact that created Occator crater. At Mammoth the cause is the hot spot deep in the Earth causing all the volcanic activity in the region.
wikipedia wrote:Travertine terraces: Travertine terraces, found at Mammoth Hot Springs, are formed from limestone (a rock type made of calcium carbonate). Thermal waters rise through the limestone, carrying high amounts of dissolved carbonate. Carbon dioxide is released at the surface and calcium carbonate deposited as travertine, the chalky white rock of the terraces.[8] These features constantly and quickly change due to the rapid rate of deposition.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:29 pm
Too bad if kids have to remember more names of planets! I'll bet the kids would love to have Pluto back as a full fledged planet! 😡
  • "I, for one, am glad the IAU is 'immoral'."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Braden wrote:
<<Thomas Braden (February 22, 1917 – April 3, 2009) was an American CIA official, author of Eight Is Enough, which spawned a television program, and co-host of the CNN show Crossfire. After Rampart broke the story of the CIA's funding of anticommunist citizen groups like the National Student Association in a 1967 article, Braden defended the agency's covert work in the student and labor movements with an article, "I'm glad the CIA is 'immoral,'" in The Saturday Evening Post.>>
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:20 pm

A vent wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 am

Erbium?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_(candy)#Salt_water_taffy wrote:
<<Salt water taffy is a variety of soft taffy originally produced and marketed in the Atlantic City, New Jersey area of the Jersey Shore starting in the 1880s. Its late 19th century appellation most likely originated in New Jersey, United States. Salt water taffy is still sold widely on the boardwalks in Atlantic City (including shops in existence since the 19th century), nearby Ocean City, and other popular beaches throughout the United States like Cape Cod.

Salt water taffy is composed of sugar, cornstarch, corn syrup, glycerine, water, butter, salt, natural and/or artificial flavor, and food color. Some examples of flavoring include vanilla, lemon, maple, banana, red licorice, watermelon, raspberry or mint extracts. Despite its name, the taffy contains no salt water (seawater), but does contain both salt and water.

Modern commercial taffy is made primarily from corn syrup, glycerin and butter. The pulling process, which makes the candy lighter and chewier, consists of stretching out the mixture, folding it over and stretching it out again. Although it is called "salt water" taffy, it does not include any seawater but does contain both salt and water in its manufacture.

The original invention of the candy has several different stories circulating, likely all apocryphal. One relates to an assistant who substituted fresh water with sea water—either through laziness or accident. Another cites a storm which caused ocean water to wash over the candy, which was consequently (and successfully) marketed with the appropriate name.>>
----------------------------------------------------------------

This mosaic image uses false color to highlight the recently exposed brine, or salty liquids, that were pushed up from a deep reservoir under Ceres' crust. In this view of a region of Occator Crater, they appear reddish. Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UCLA/MPS/DLR/IDA :arrow:
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:29 pm I wish they would call all planets as planets! or quite calling giants as planets! David and Goliath! We still call midgets and giants as people! Or do we? The asteroids are planetoids actually! We shouldn't be so prejudiced! Really! Too bad if kids have to remember more names of planets! I'll bet the kids would love to have Pluto back as a full fledged planet! 😡
Who is "they"?

I call them planets. That's what they are. You don't need to adhere to any silly IAU definitions in common usage, it's just wise to do so in formal publications.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 pm
I wish they would call all planets as planets! or quite calling giants as planets! David and Goliath! We still call midgets and giants as people! Or do we? The asteroids are planetoids actually! We shouldn't be so prejudiced! Really! Too bad if kids have to remember more names of planets! I'll bet the kids would love to have Pluto back as a full fledged planet! 😡
Who is "they"? I call them planets. That's what they are. You don't need to adhere to any silly IAU definitions in common usage, it's just wise to do so in formal publications.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm

neufer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Who is "they"? I call them planets. That's what they are. You don't need to adhere to any silly IAU definitions in common usage, it's just wise to do so in formal publications.
Try singing "You say dwarf planet and I say planet" to the tune of "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off".

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:04 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:29 pm I wish they would call all planets as planets! or quite calling giants as planets! David and Goliath! We still call midgets and giants as people! Or do we? The asteroids are planetoids actually! We shouldn't be so prejudiced! Really! Too bad if kids have to remember more names of planets! I'll bet the kids would love to have Pluto back as a full fledged planet! 😡
Who is "they"?

I call them planets. That's what they are. You don't need to adhere to any silly IAU definitions in common usage, it's just wise to do so in formal publications.
10Q! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:56 am

Ann wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm
Try singing "You say dwarf planet and I say planet" to the tune of "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off".
First, you do it going backwards on roller skates.
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:00 pm

neufer wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:56 am
Ann wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm
First, you do it going backwards on roller skates.

I know, but a girl can do it.

Ann
Color Commentator