APOD: ISS Transits Mars (2020 Sep 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: ISS Transits Mars (2020 Sep 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:05 am

Image ISS Transits Mars

Explanation: Yes, but have you ever seen the space station do this? If you know when and where to look, watching the bright International Space Station (ISS) drift across your night sky is a fascinating sight -- but not very unusual. Images of the ISS crossing in front of the half-degree Moon or Sun do exist, but are somewhat rare as they take planning, timing, and patience to acquire. Catching the ISS crossing in front of minuscule Mars, though, is on another level. Using online software, the featured photographer learned that the unusual transit would be visible only momentarily along a very narrow stretch of nearby land spanning just 90 meters. Within this stretch, the equivalent ground velocity of the passing ISS image would be a quick 7.4 kilometers per second. However, with a standard camera, a small telescope, an exact location to set up his equipment, an exact direction to point the telescope, and sub-millisecond timing -- he created a video from which the featured 0.00035 second exposure was extracted. In the resulting image capture, details on both Mars and the ISS are visible simultaneously. The featured image was acquired last Monday at 05:15:47 local time from just northeast of San Diego, California, USA. Although typically much smaller, angularly, than the ISS, Mars is approaching its maximum angular size in the next few weeks, because the blue planet (Earth) is set to pass its closest to the red planet (Mars) in their respective orbits around the Sun.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: ISS Transits Mars (2020 Sep 23)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Many will say how lucky this fan is!, But according to the explanation it is a meticulous work of calculation and optimal use of the opportunity. There will be other places on Earth that have the same possibility, if in that place there was a person with the same spirit and hunter desire as Tomás, this is a work of dedication where the discomfort of the hours or the weather does not matter in addition, of patience.-
It is not about being in the exact place and time but SABER when it is, can they be called the paparazzi of Astronomy? and if it were well deserved they have it.-

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:09 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:05 am
Explanation: The featured image was acquired last Monday at 05:15:47 local time from just northeast of San Diego, California, USA.
Wow...no smoke :!:

Was a Martian taking a picture of our own reddened planet at the same time :?:
Art Neuendorffer

Ken Reiss

Post by Ken Reiss » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:23 pm

It looks like the one solar panel touching mars is behind the planet. Is this a composite photo?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 pm

MarsISS_Glenn_1000.jpg

Nice job Tom!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Ken, Despite the noise, if the image is magnified it shows that it is ahead

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:30 pm Many will say how lucky this fan is!, But according to the explanation it is a meticulous work of calculation and optimal use of the opportunity. There will be other places on Earth that have the same possibility, if in that place there was a person with the same spirit and hunter desire as Tomás, this is a work of dedication where the discomfort of the hours or the weather does not matter in addition, of patience.-
It is not about being in the exact place and time but SABER when it is, can they be called the paparazzi of Astronomy? and if it were well deserved they have it.-
"SABER"? I was unable to guess an appropriate word you might have meant instead: SANER? SAFER?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Speaking of the ISS, they've needed to make several collision avoidance maneuvers recently:
NASA admin warns ISS space junk problem is getting worse after 3 near collisions
CNN
Published Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 AM MDT

The International Space Station (ISS) narrowly avoided a collision with space debris for the third time this year.

The ISS used the thrusters of a cargo ship that was docked to the station along with NASA and Russian flight controllers working in tandem in order to avoid colliding with an unknown piece of debris, NASA said. The debris was expected to come within a mile of the station on Tuesday at approximately 6:21 p.m. ET, according to NASA.

There have been three "high concern potential conjunctions" with space debris in the last two weeks alone, and the ISS has had to maneuver three times to avoid debris this year, NASA said.

Low Earth orbit is an orbital space junk yard, according to NASA. There are millions of pieces of matter flying around, and it ranges from pieces of space craft to parts of rockets and satellites that are out of commission.

The three Expedition 63 crew members aboard the ISS were directed to the Russian segment of the station as "part of the safe haven procedure out of an abundance of caution," NASA said.

"Maneuver Burn complete. The astronauts are coming out of safe haven," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine tweeted on Tuesday at 5:22 p.m. ET.

"The @Space_Station has maneuvered 3 times in 2020 to avoid debris," Bridenstine added in a follow-up tweet. "In the last 2 weeks, there have been 3 high concern potential conjunctions. Debris is getting worse! Time for Congress to provide @CommerceGov with the $15 mil requested by @POTUS for the Office of Space Commerce."

On February 11, President Trump released a budget proposal that included a $15 million request for the Office of Space Commerce to be able to "respond to current and future National Space Policy Directives." One of the goals of the Department of Commerce strategic plan is to make "improvements to visualization and modeling of objects (including debris) within the space environment."

No crew were harmed, and the US and Russian segments of the station were able to resume regular activities once the maneuver was completed, NASA said.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 am

BDanielMayfield wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:41 pm
Speaking of the ISS, they've needed to make several collision avoidance maneuvers recently:
  • Speaking of Mars, they've needed to make several collision avoidance maneuvers recently:
APOD Robot wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 am
Image The Day After Mars
Explanation: October 31, 1938 was the day after Martians encountered planet Earth, and everything was calm. Reports of the invasion were revealed to be part of a Halloween radio drama, the now famous broadcast based on H.G. Wells' scifi novel War of the Worlds. On Mars October 20, 2014 was calm too, the day after its close encounter with Comet Siding Spring (C/2013 A1). Not a hoax, this comet really did come within 86,700 miles or so of Mars, about 1/3 the Earth-Moon distance. Earth's spacecraft and rovers in Mars orbit and on the surface reported no ill effects though, and had a ringside seat as a visitor from the outer solar system passed by. Spanning over 2 degrees against stars of the constellation Ophiuchus, this colorful telescopic snapshot captures our view of Mars on the day after. Bluish star 51 Ophiuchi is at the upper right and the comet is just emerging from the Red Planet's bright glare.
Last edited by neufer on Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art Neuendorffer

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 am

johnnydepp, SABER = know, be sure of the moment

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 am

Tom Glenn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:08 pm ISS transit of Mars
ISS transit of Mars, September 14, 2020 by Tom Glenn, on Flickr
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 am johnnydepp, SABER = know, be sure of the moment
Ah, you snuck in a Spanish word. No fair! But I supposed I should have guessed based on your name :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:23 am

It's like that, I capitalized it and it did not translate, when doing it in lowercase yes, it did

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Sa Ji Tario wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:23 am
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm
Sa Ji Tario wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 am
johnnydepp, SABER = know, be sure of the moment
Ah, you snuck in a Spanish word. No fair! But I supposed I should have guessed based on your name :ssmile:
It's like that, I capitalized it and it did not translate, when doing it in lowercase yes, it did
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:02 pm

neufer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:11 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Sa Ji Tario wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:23 am
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm

Very good; +1 :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
Liberace; A great talent!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Tom Glenn
Ensign

Post by Tom Glenn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:52 am

neufer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:09 pm
Wow...no smoke :!:

Actually, there was quite a bit of smoke in the region, although far less than on the previous several days. However, sky transparency was quite poor, with only the crescent Moon, Venus, Mars and the brightest of stars visible. The haze probably cost me at least 2 stops of exposure, which required higher camera gain than I would have preferred, but given the conditions in CA recently, I was fortunate to get any shot at all.

Ken Reiss wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:23 pm It looks like the one solar panel touching mars is behind the planet. Is this a composite photo?
It is not a composite. As described in the caption, it is an individual exposure of 0.35ms duration. Any semblance of the solar panel being behind the planet is an illusion. The edge of the solar panel has a nearly identical grayscale value to the Martian terminator, and so they become indistinguishable when combined with noise and atmospheric distortion.