APOD: Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks (2020 Oct 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks (2020 Oct 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:10 am

Image Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks

Explanation: Saturn and Jupiter are getting closer. Every night that you go out and check for the next two months, these two bright planets will be even closer together on the sky. Finally, in mid-December, a Great Conjunction will occur -- when the two planets will appear only 0.1 degrees apart -- just one fifth the angular diameter of the full Moon. And this isn't just any Great Conjunction -- Saturn (left) and Jupiter (right) haven't been this close since 1623, and won't be nearly this close again until 2080. This celestial event is quite easy to see -- already the two planets are easily visible toward the southwest just after sunset -- and already they are remarkably close. Pictured, the astrophotographer and partner eyed the planetary duo above the Tre Cime di Lavaredo (Three Peaks of Lavaredo) in the Italian Alps about two weeks ago.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

steve case

Re: APOD: Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks (2020 Oct 20)

Post by steve case » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 am

So what date in December will the waxing moon be closest?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:30 am

steve case wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 am So what date in December will the waxing moon be closest?
The two planets will be closest on Dec 21, at which point they will be halfway across the sky from the first quarter Moon.

Around Dec 16 the very new Moon will be about 5° from Jupiter, and the planets will be about a half degree apart. Might be a pretty triple conjunction.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:34 am

steve case wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 am So what date in December will the waxing moon be closest?
On Dec 17, about 7:30UT
Moon 8.8% illuminated
Moon separation ~3.3°
Saturn / Jupiter separation ~0.5°

Closest Saturn / Jupiter separation on Dec 21,22
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:30 am
The two planets will be closest on Dec 21, at which point they will be halfway across the sky from the first quarter Moon.

Around Dec 16 the very new Moon will be about 5° from Jupiter, and the planets will be about a half degree apart. Might be a pretty triple conjunction.
It would be interesting to see photos of this unique phenomenon. As I understand it, such a position of celestial bodies is not observed every year.

steve case

Post by steve case » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you all.

Here's a link
https://www.moongiant.com/calendar/december/2020/
to a Phases of the moon calendar for December 2020.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm

KayBur wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

It would be interesting to see photos of this unique phenomenon. As I understand it, such a position of celestial bodies is not observed every year.
Weather permitting I will certainly be taking lots of images. It will be remarkable to have both planets (and maybe even part of the Moon) in the same telescopic field at the same time. That is, to be able to image both planets at a high enough magnification to resolve them and have them in a single frame.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Weather permitting I will certainly be taking lots of images. It will be remarkable to have both planets (and maybe even part of the Moon) in the same telescopic field at the same time. That is, to be able to image both planets at a high enough magnification to resolve them and have them in a single frame.
So it should be possible to see Jupiter, Saturn, and the six largest moons of our solar system (counting an edge of our Moon) all in the same telescopic field of view. This should lead to many awesome images.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm

And thanks, APOD, for the link and reminder on today's page that OSIRIS-REx was going to "tag" Asteroid Bennu. I just watched the live coverage. It appears that everything went superbly: touch down, sample collection sequence, and push away. Now they have to try to determine if they actually got a good sample into the collector, but the process went perfectly.
Mark Goldfain

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm looking forward to the photo! I think this will be an extraordinary event. My friends don't understand my hobby, they think it's boring and not interesting. And I became interested in astronomy when my son asked questions about the stars. Of course, I answered in general terms, but then I was interested in the question myself. Now I try to study everything that comes across in my free time. But astronomy has now accumulated so much knowledge that now it is simply unrealistic to cover all the subtleties.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm

KayBur wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 am I'm looking forward to the photo! I think this will be an extraordinary event. My friends don't understand my hobby, they think it's boring and not interesting. And I became interested in astronomy when my son asked questions about the stars. Of course, I answered in general terms, but then I was interested in the question myself. Now I try to study everything that comes across in my free time. But astronomy has now accumulated so much knowledge that now it is simply unrealistic to cover all the subtleties.
I think that anyone who thinks astronomy is boring just hasn't yet encountered something to spark their interest. I'll bet your conversations with your son are far more fascinating than most of theirs.
Mark Goldfain

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:32 pm

BDanielMayfield wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 pm So it should be possible to see Jupiter, Saturn, and the six largest moons of our solar system (counting an edge of our Moon) all in the same telescopic field of view. This should lead to many awesome images.
Great point, I hadn't thought about the moons! The 2 largest planets and the 6 largest moons together in the sky . . . that's a Stanley Kubrick dream photo for sure. I don't suppose the giant planets will get close enough together that their moons will appear intermingled?
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm

MarkBour wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:32 pm
BDanielMayfield wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 pm So it should be possible to see Jupiter, Saturn, and the six largest moons of our solar system (counting an edge of our Moon) all in the same telescopic field of view. This should lead to many awesome images.
Great point, I hadn't thought about the moons! The 2 largest planets and the 6 largest moons together in the sky . . . that's a Stanley Kubrick dream photo for sure. I don't suppose the giant planets will get close enough together that their moons will appear intermingled?
Nope. The distances of the moons from the planets would allow for it, but the orientation is wrong, so the moon planes sort of slide alongside each other, not crossing.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am

MarkBour wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm
KayBur wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 am I'm looking forward to the photo! I think this will be an extraordinary event. My friends don't understand my hobby, they think it's boring and not interesting. And I became interested in astronomy when my son asked questions about the stars. Of course, I answered in general terms, but then I was interested in the question myself. Now I try to study everything that comes across in my free time. But astronomy has now accumulated so much knowledge that now it is simply unrealistic to cover all the subtleties.
I think that anyone who thinks astronomy is boring just hasn't yet encountered something to spark their interest. I'll bet your conversations with your son are far more fascinating than most of theirs.
Yes, surely so. We are learning something new in our conversations. This happens when we are faced with a question that we cannot answer ourselves. Then we are looking for articles on a topic of interest to us or discussion on the forum. This is a truly rewarding pastime that helps us understand each other better. Since our common passion for astronomy, our relationship has become closer and more trusting. It turns out that this hobby for good, not a waste of time.

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm
Nope. The distances of the moons from the planets would allow for it, but the orientation is wrong, so the moon planes sort of slide alongside each other, not crossing.
Capture.png
Capture.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
So, something like this arrangement?

That will still be something amazing to see.
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:50 pm

MarkBour wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:35 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:45 pm
Capture.png
So, something like this arrangement?

That will still be something amazing to see.
Yup, that's pretty much it.
_
conj.png
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:48 am

It's worth noting though that for 25 hours (including the closest Jupiter/Saturn separation, Saturn's moon Iapetus is closer to Jupiter than Callisto by 0.8'. Not much, but quite an event.
Iapetus Closer to Jupiter.jpg
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist