APOD: Dark Matter in a Simulated Universe (2020 Oct 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Dark Matter in a Simulated Universe (2020 Oct 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:05 am

Image Dark Matter in a Simulated Universe

Explanation: Is our universe haunted? It might look that way on this dark matter map. The gravity of unseen dark matter is the leading explanation for why galaxies rotate so fast, why galaxies orbit clusters so fast, why gravitational lenses so strongly deflect light, and why visible matter is distributed as it is both in the local universe and on the cosmic microwave background. The featured image from the American Museum of Natural History's Hayden Planetarium previous Space Show Dark Universe highlights one example of how pervasive dark matter might haunt our universe. In this frame from a detailed computer simulation, complex filaments of dark matter, shown in black, are strewn about the universe like spider webs, while the relatively rare clumps of familiar baryonic matter are colored orange. These simulations are good statistical matches to astronomical observations. In what is perhaps a scarier turn of events, dark matter -- although quite strange and in an unknown form -- is no longer thought to be the strangest source of gravity in the universe. That honor now falls to dark energy, a more uniform source of repulsive gravity that seems to now dominate the expansion of the entire universe.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Dark Matter in a Simulated Universe (2020 Oct 25)

Post by RocketRon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:42 am

If dark energy repels, is it likely to clump or string together, or be spread uniformly (and 'expandingly') throughout the universe ??

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:50 am

Or is dark energy merely a manifestation of time running 'backwards' which we are unable to quantify or observe. ?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:31 am

It would be fun to see a simulation of the combined effects of dark matter and dark energy. Preferably as an animation!

Ann
Color Commentator

PolishBear
Asternaut

Post by PolishBear » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Looks like neurons.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm

DarkMatter_KipacAmnh_960.jpg

You're going to think I'm nuts; but my opinion is that maybe dark matter is antimatter; and is combining with positive matter and is creating the universe! Instead of anilalating each other; are in fact attracting each other! That would also explain the exansion of the universe! Maybe I am nuts! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:18 pm

Let someone invert the colors and it will look like the neural network

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:52 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm DarkMatter_KipacAmnh_960.jpg

You're going to think I'm nuts; but my opinion is that maybe dark matter is antimatter; and is combining with positive matter and is creating the universe! Instead of anilalating each other; are in fact attracting each other! That would also explain the exansion of the universe! Maybe I am nuts! :mrgreen:
For a variety of reasons, dark matter as antimatter has been ruled out.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 pm

RocketRon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:42 am If dark energy repels, is it likely to clump or string together, or be spread uniformly (and 'expandingly') throughout the universe ??
Dark matter is "stuff", and as such it can clump or be otherwise non-uniform. As best as we know right now, dark energy is a property of spactime, and has no structure.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

richard schumacher
Ensign

Post by richard schumacher » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 pm Dark matter is "stuff", and as such it can clump or be otherwise non-uniform. As best as we know right now, dark energy is a property of spacetime, and has no structure.
Is dark energy necessarily a property of spacetime? If so then there would be no way to accumulate or concentrate it; it would always be uniformly distributed, except where spacetime itself is concentrated. (But then I would wonder what happens near the singularity inside a black hole, where there is a whole lotta spacetime goin' on.)

If it isn't an intrinsic property of spacetime, that would hold open the possibility that it could be accumulated or concentrated, somehow.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:55 pm

richard schumacher wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:10 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:54 pm Dark matter is "stuff", and as such it can clump or be otherwise non-uniform. As best as we know right now, dark energy is a property of spacetime, and has no structure.
Is dark energy necessarily a property of spacetime? If so then there would be no way to accumulate or concentrate it; it would always be uniformly distributed, except where spacetime itself is concentrated. (But then I would wonder what happens near the singularity inside a black hole, where there is a whole lotta spacetime goin' on.)

If it isn't an intrinsic property of spacetime, that would hold open the possibility that it could be accumulated or concentrated, somehow.
There is a reason I qualified my comment with "as best as we know right now". We certainly don't know enough about dark energy to say with any certainty what is or is not possible. Only that the evidence we currently have best suggests it as a property of spacetime, and as such not something that could accumulate or have a non-uniform density.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Thanks Chris! I know you are correct, and after reading your reply I found this;
https://www.differencebetween.com/diffe ... ntimatter/
I don't know much about it either! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:37 pm

I just watched a video by Dr Becky, where she talked about galaxy M94. Maybe possibly maybe M94 lacks dark matter.

Ann
Color Commentator

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:22 pm

Want to explore my brain? just tell me what is the universe expanding into? pass the ice cold one
Wolf Kotenberg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:28 pm

ta152h0 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:22 pm Want to explore my brain? just tell me what is the universe expanding into? pass the ice cold one
It isn't expanding into anything.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Aethereal

Post by Aethereal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 am

This dark matter theory seems quite artificial to me. Will it end the same way the old aether theory ended?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:58 am

Aethereal wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 am This dark matter theory seems quite artificial to me. Will it end the same way the old aether theory ended?
The existence of dark matter is evident through many independent lines of evidence. It is real, beyond reasonable doubt. What is uncertain is its nature. Most likely an elementary particle of some kind, but that leaves several possibilities (although the range of possibilities continues to narrow with new experiments and observations).
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Aethereal

Post by Aethereal » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:32 am

Thank you Chriss, I thought that the only evidence of the existence of dark matter were its gravitational effects. Was I wrong?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Aethereal wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:32 am Thank you Chriss, I thought that the only evidence of the existence of dark matter were its gravitational effects. Was I wrong?
Not entirely. Almost all of the observational evidence for dark matter is related to its gravitational effects. But those observations are of very different things- galaxy rotation curves, the distribution of matter in galaxy clusters, gravitational lensing, and others. But there is also a lot of theoretical support- the anisotropy of the CMB, the density requirements for our best Big Bang theory, galaxy formation processes, and others.

All of these things demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that dark matter exists, and in sum they largely rule out the only identified alternatives to it actually being matter of some kind, such as modifications to our understanding of gravity itself.

I don't think you'll find many cosmologists who entertain much doubt that dark matter is made up of some kind of non-baryonic particles.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory